fuel issues

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

Hi Im wondering if it is possible to mix "rock oil racing castor oil" into a 4l batch of fully synthetic 10% nitro fuel to make a synthetic/castor blend? The oil is aparently good in Karts. ive mixed a 200ml batch to see if it mixes well together and it does, im going to leave it to stand and see if it separates.

im running it in a sprintcat with a os .61vrm.

Cheers :D

Catman

With just 10% nitro I think you should have no problems. I would tend to give the fuel container a shake before filling the tank though.

Brian Mahoney

BTW it's nice to know I'm not the only one running on 10% nitro.

you guys are not the only people runnng 10% nitro. ;)

im moving up to 25% for more kick and everyone reccomended it.

Davo

Unless everything else with the boat and engine set-up is correct more nitro is often just more expense. I suspect many boaters are wasting their money on high nitro. May not be much of an issue in the US but in the UK nitro is very expensive.

Higher nitro fuels are also more liable to cause problems if your after run proceedures are poor.

Brian

catman

You can by klotz"s KL 100 and it is a synthetic / castor blend it has 20 percent castor per gallon this is a good oil. yes you can add castor to your synthetic oil and it will mix with alc. and nitro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catman,

Why do you want to add castor? My two cents, but castor is old school lube and that is why there are synthetics now.

Castor oil mixes well with low nitro %'s .It does not goes well with high nitro fuels and even running high nitro fuels I always add few amonts(2oz per galon) of it on my 60% nitro with no problems. Big blocks need this stuff for long lasting.

From my experience with no failures!

Gill

Hi Guys only use 10 % because Thats all I figure I need, my boat is going about how fast i need it to, in its current configuration it should finish races and be reasonably compeditive

I like the castor smell to tell you the truth, and as my engine is a bit older (OS .61vrm ) id like to give the old girl a nice easy life, and make sure she's lubed up good and proper.

Im fairly new to boating but have blown two engines so far, due to my inexperience mainly, i dont want to blow another any time soon.

I already have some Rock oil "racing castor oil" I got it from the local Kart shop, using this oil they have been able to go from running a 30:1 mix to a 50:1 mix in their racing karts. ill use that untill it runs out then get the klotz kl 100.

My main question after this is "How Much do i add?" ive mixed 1 litre and put 30mls of castor into that one to give me a 3% mix, i still have 3 litres to add castor to

"Big blocks need this stuff for long lasting."

Like Preston said, castor is "old school" stuff. The new synthetics are far superior to castor as far as protection goes. I've gotten SAW motors so hot the piston crown started to cave in but no lubrication failures. :eek:

I will exemplify: If you have a galon(3,6l) of 18% oil adding 2 oz of castor in it you will end with 20% oil.For engines up to 10cc 20% oil blend will keep you in the safe side!

Gill

I'm no expert on this matter but what I've been told by more than one fuel maker is that caster does more harm than good. It's not refined in the same manner as it once was and tends to trap more heat in the motor than synthetic oil.

I've been running synthetic only fuel for 12 years now and have only broken 2 motors out of about 20 since making the change. Before the change, I broke 5 motors in one season.

Take a look @ the head button on a motor that has caster ran through it. It has a varnish that's burned into the metal. In my book, nothing burnt belongs in a motor. It's sort of like cigarette tar. I don't think of it as a nice protective coating of the lungs.

Roger that

Seems that synthetic is the way to go, ill add the castor this time, as im using coolpower green, but i will get some kl 200 and mix my next lot of fuel with that

The engine that i have is quite old, does it make a difference ?

Thanks to everybody for their input.

Cheers

Matt

Actually if you have 18% oil and add 2 oz you will end up with 19.3% oil.

1 gal = 128 oz

18% of 128 oz = 23.04 oz

2 oz castor + 23.04 oz = 25.04 oz

25.04 oz/130 oz = 19.3%

1% difference shouldn't be that big of a deal as far as protection is concerned. 18% is plenty to begin with.

like the castor smell to tell you the truth,
If you like the smell then that's cool. It comes down to performance or blowing smoke when it comes to percentages. But the synthetic is a better lube.

Take a look @ the head button on a motor that has caster ran through it. It has a varnish that's burned into the metal. In my book, nothing burnt belongs in a motor. It's sort of like cigarette tar. I don't think of it as a nice protective coating of the lungs.
When I flew planes you could always tell who ran castor. Their engines were the color of cigarette tar.

Back