Flex shaft lube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Glenn

It is more of a cream colour. I can't remember where I bought the original tube from as it was a while ago. Google still finds it on the internet.

Craig
Thanks Craig, Found the 24C at getaprop.com $6.95 for a 8Oz. tube.

I was shown how to tell if your grease is good for what we do or not.

Put your finger in it and pull it out how long of a string dose it leave?

Say 15" or more. :unsure:

David

Well I was going to tell everyone I use goose grease- cause it's free at the lake- but tried to keep it serious- but I see that's out the window!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think that if a bird watcher or some other conservationist person saw you running boats and there was an oil sheen on the water in the launch area, say good by to your race pond. that is why I use grease, less chance of leaving something floating on the surface of the water. and for tose that use castor, try to tell that person it is bio-degradeable.
Good point Rick, Decker Lake is shared between R/C boaters and birds. We are allowed to run on the east side and the west side is a designated bird sanctuary. I would not want to do anything to to get the club kicked off the lake. The less impact we have on the enviroment the better.

Glenn

I was shown how to tell if your grease is good for what we do or not.

Put your finger in it and pull it out how long of a string dose it leave?

Say 15" or more. :unsure:

David
That's what she said. :p
heavily medicated for your safety not even close
Hey, He's from New Jersey- give him a break :D :D :D
we just had to go there didn't we. :rolleyes:
hey, it is iwaters, isn't it. yeah, we go there :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: !!

O.K. back to the topic- anyone using the amsoil synthetic marine grease???

I had a distibutor give me a tube of the amsoil you mention, It was by far the best I have used period. I now use lubriplate because its easily available.. any distributors out there???

Boaters,

Just a little tip on shaft lubrication.

Try exam gloves before you lube, and then just peel them off

when your done. Works well!!! And you stay clean!!!

Keep Testing,

Mark Sholund

Been using Lubriplate #115 grease for over 20 years. Lasts all day and most importantly, it's LOW DRAG.

Those 15" strings will eat Horsepower David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

It is interesting to see quite differing opinions on this topic.

For my 26cc Zenoah gas mono, I've tried several teflon based grease products. The one I've found best so far is Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine with Teflon.I find that after a long running session the flexi shaft still has plenty of grease stuck to it.

I agree that it is not a bad thing to have to remove the shaft to inspect it prior to re-greasing after a good long run.

Regards

Craig
Craig, Is that the pale green stuff that Mercury sells???

Thanks,

Glenn

the pale green stuff is the Mercury Special Lubricant 101... WAY better then 2-4-C, but its about double the price too.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/92-802865Q02/Quicksilver+Special+Lubricant+101.html

Andy turned me on to Lubriplate several years ago. That is all I use now.

Al Hobbs

Been using Lubriplate #115 grease for over 20 years. Lasts all day and most importantly, it's LOW DRAG.

Those 15" strings will eat Horsepower David.
One of the MAIN reasons I went to oiler's,,,

I will put up with the mess, for the benefits
Oil is not necessarily lower drag than grease. Don't be fooled.

...and Al Hobbs was right in his previous post!...not a bad idea to remove the shaft and clean and inspect regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back