Flex shaft lube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use some grease but i made a grease nipple(i am not sure how you call it) and a grease pump,so at the lake I don't have to take out the tune pipe and the header .

While I pump the grease I turn the propeller by hand to take the grease down to the strut

It's working well and it take just two minutes

Helmut

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Lubriplate #115 grease for over 20 years. Lasts all day and most importantly, it's LOW DRAG.

Those 15" strings will eat Horsepower David.
That was what I was using at first till I was told it was no good. Should have stuck with my first instincts.

The red stuff dose have some drag to it as the white stuff dose not have much at all. That is what I always used when building eng for assy lube.

Now what do I do with a 120lbs of red grease? :lol:

David

Hi

It is interesting to see quite differing opinions on this topic.

For my 26cc Zenoah gas mono, I've tried several teflon based grease products. The one I've found best so far is Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine with Teflon.I find that after a long running session the flexi shaft still has plenty of grease stuck to it.

I agree that it is not a bad thing to have to remove the shaft to inspect it prior to re-greasing after a good long run.

Regards

Craig
Craig, Is that the pale green stuff that Mercury sells???

Thanks,

Glenn

the pale green stuff is the Mercury Special Lubricant 101... WAY better then 2-4-C, but its about double the price too.

http://www.wholesale...ricant+101.html
Thanks, Lot of options here- would like to use something not as thick as the Evenrude triple guard this year but not sold on the oilers yet.

120 lbs of grease!

Did you buy that at Costco?
Your cover if Weezer gets the cough again, but you'll miss the Floridori. :blink:
I don't understand what you wrote. Enlighten me.
Steve, I'm showing my age. In an episode of the Lil Rascals, Chubby can't go to see Darla dance at the Floridori cause he has to stay home and grease his brother Weezer. Who has the whooping cough. You ask! :p

120 lbs of grease!

Did you buy that at Costco?
Your cover if Weezer gets the cough again, but you'll miss the Floridori. :blink:
I don't understand what you wrote. Enlighten me.
Steve, I'm showing my age. In an episode of the Lil Rascals, Chubby can't go to see Darla dance at the Floridori cause he has to stay home and grease his brother Weezer. Who has the whooping cough. You ask! :p

now thats the shizzzel. ;)

Hi

It is interesting to see quite differing opinions on this topic.

For my 26cc Zenoah gas mono, I've tried several teflon based grease products. The one I've found best so far is Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine with Teflon.I find that after a long running session the flexi shaft still has plenty of grease stuck to it.

I agree that it is not a bad thing to have to remove the shaft to inspect it prior to re-greasing after a good long run.

Regards

Craig
Craig, Is that the pale green stuff that Mercury sells???

Thanks,

Glenn

the pale green stuff is the Mercury Special Lubricant 101... WAY better then 2-4-C, but its about double the price too.

http://www.wholesale...ricant+101.html
Thanks, Lot of options here- would like to use something not as thick as the Evenrude triple guard this year but not sold on the oilers yet.

ive tried just about every grease i could get my hands on. Special Lube 101 and the stuff from RcBoatParts.com are my favorites to use.

I tried an oiler in one boat, using bar & chain oil.. no kind of increase in performance from 'less drag' noticed, and the entire hull interior was covered in oil at the end of the day, no thanks.

IMO the reason for using an oiler to not have to pull the shaft out is insane. I have caught having a broken wind or two in shafts after pulling to regrease, that with more runs likely would have caused the cable to break. I like keeping my props.

Ray,

One for the old guys! :D Now I understand why I didn't get it. Really, I'm an old guy too, just missed the Rascals. I thought maybe the band Weezer cancelled a concert at the Floridori because of a cough.

Cheers.

OK ...here is another to throw in the mix !! The John Deere Waterproof grease stayed on and did not seem to impede the progress of my Twin 90 boat .......8 heats ...still there and not stringy ..good product .

I've tried a lot of them. Trailer bearing lithium grease, "Grimmie grease", Hughey (still have some!), Prather but am using mostly Speed Lube which I'm surprised that Mark Sholund didn't mention as I got it from him. The "Grimmie Grease" kind is stinky as it reminds me of an oil refinery but doesn't sling like a lot of others.

I'm trying to find some graphite-based grease as I saw a can of it at work. The stuff is really sticky but super-slippery at the same time plus it's waterproof and made for high-temp use.

Top Secret Boats says that if you're using an oiler to put an Aeromrine pushrod seal over the stuffing tube and that will keep it from slinging lube all over the inside of your boat. This would most likely work better for those running 1/4" cables. The FE racers use a piece of fuel/water line.

There's a grease that is use on dead centers for CNC that water willn't wash off.It will stay on your cable for a long time.

Dave Roach

There's a grease that is use on dead centers for CNC that water willn't wash off.It will stay on your cable for a long time.

Dave Roach

Think I know the stuff you're refering to- a high preassure grease used on grinders also- green and yellow tube- very sticky.

Latest posts

Back