Flex shaft lube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use oil and teflon tube for a 1/4 flex at 30 000 t/mn.

I would add that the best solution depends on the flex size and the rotation speed :

I would use:

teflon only for small flex at any speed

Grease for large flex at low speed eg 15000 t/mn

Oil and teflon for large flex at high rotation speed with some engineering for the strut.

Regards

Piere

Last edited by a moderator:
mystik B) . all their stuff is good. messing with all things mechanical in florida for 45 years taught be about mystik products.

another easy way to connect an oiler to your stuffing tube is to use an aluminum boom tube collar. find one that fits your tubing, calmp it in position on the tube & drill through both oppososite the split in the collar. use a drill bit sized to tap a 4-40 hole. remove the collar, tap it 4-40 & install a 4-40 threaded nipple/water fitting. clamp it back in place, lining up the holes. tubing from that to your oil tank - done.

kevin, alden makes a killer oiler for ob's, if TT's can use them :huh: ....

ian, both the k&b & the os ob's use a similar system. the os has a hose from the muffler to the flex, & the k7b "non can" engines have a passage cast in the lower from the ex. chamber to the flex. the can engines (ss & sx) have no ex. to flex oil provision.

Building a set up of my design to run a 1/4" shaft at 50000RPM. should be ready for testing in about 5 weeks. need to run a Teflon tube at the end of the stuffing tube for adjustable strut angles as the boat is running. the strut has 4 sealed ceramic bearings in it. so lube should not be a problem there. but what about the drive shaft. Teflon liner with oil? is this going to work at this RPM?

any thoughts?

David

Teflon will ruin your day been there done that.....grease me and wipe me off at the end of the day

mystik B) . all their stuff is good. messing with all things mechanical in florida for 45 years taught be about mystik products.

another easy way to connect an oiler to your stuffing tube is to use an aluminum boom tube collar. find one that fits your tubing, calmp it in position on the tube & drill through both oppososite the split in the collar. use a drill bit sized to tap a 4-40 hole. remove the collar, tap it 4-40 & install a 4-40 threaded nipple/water fitting. clamp it back in place, lining up the holes. tubing from that to your oil tank - done.

ian, both the k&b & the os ob's use a similar system. the os has a hose from the muffler to the flex, & the k7b "non can" engines have a passage cast in the lower from the ex. chamber to the flex. the can engines (ss & sx) have no ex. to flex oil provision.
Wierd the description of the split collar oiler. I just made one similiar to it a couple days ago. Must be great minds here.LOL

No grease here I have used a steve wood oiler for years with pure caster the caster inpregnates the cable I have left the cable in the boat all winter pulled it out in the sringg and not a ounce of rust and if no forget to put oil in the oiler it won't hurt the shaft becouse the oil impregnates the shaftr

Wierd the description of the split collar oiler. I just made one similiar to it a couple days ago. Must be great minds here.LOL
B) :D !!

I use grease. That means I have to remove, clean, inspect and regrease my cables on a regular basis.

Paper towels are cheap and I go through a lot of them.

Al Hobbs

B) :D !!
I hate to say it but I also was thinking of a similar setup!!! Not sure yet if I want messy oil or messy grease that gets every where!!!!

I hate the oilers. They have ruined all my pants from it leaking out the boat when I launch Don's riggers. He bought me an apron for my birthday, then he recently came up with an oiler that didn drain out the engine compartment. How much pollution are we putting in the lake with these oilers. What's wrong with a little grease.

I hate the oilers. They have ruined all my pants from it leaking out the boat when I launch Don's riggers. He bought me an apron for my birthday, then he recently came up with an oiler that didn drain out the engine compartment. How much pollution are we putting in the lake with these oilers. What's wrong with a little grease.
use bean oil(castor oil)

I would think that if a bird watcher or some other conservationist person saw you running boats and there was an oil sheen on the water in the launch area, say good by to your race pond. that is why I use grease, less chance of leaving something floating on the surface of the water. and for those that use castor, try to tell that person it is bio-degradeable.

Hi

It is interesting to see quite differing opinions on this topic.

For my 26cc Zenoah gas mono, I've tried several teflon based grease products. The one I've found best so far is Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine with Teflon.I find that after a long running session the flexi shaft still has plenty of grease stuck to it.

I agree that it is not a bad thing to have to remove the shaft to inspect it prior to re-greasing after a good long run.

Regards

Craig

Hi

For my 26cc Zenoah gas mono, I've tried several teflon based grease products. The one I've found best so far is Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine with Teflon.I find that after a long running session the flexi shaft still has plenty of grease stuck to it.

I agree that it is not a bad thing to have to remove the shaft to inspect it prior to re-greasing after a good long run.

Regards

Craig
Craig, Is that the pale green stuff that Mercury sells???

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi

Regards

Craig

Thanks,

Glenn
no glenn, that's old evinrudes they have chewed up & spit out :eek: :lol: :lol:

Hi Glenn

It is more of a cream colour. I can't remember where I bought the original tube from as it was a while ago. Google still finds it on the internet.

Craig

Hi

Regards

Craig

Thanks,

Glenn
no glenn, that's old evinrudes they have chewed up & spit out :eek: :lol: :lol:
Stop it Robin- trying to be serious here :lol: ! I've been using the Evenrude triple guard and it seems to be very thick- noticed a guy at the lake using a Mercury product- cream or very light green and it did not seem as thick or heavy as the blue grease- just wondered if it was better??? Due for a new tube and would like to use the BEST.

Glenn

Back