Winter storage of your flex shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soak them in Marvels Mystery Oil for a nice winters hibernation then I make myself some hot shawk-a-lot.
Getting over 10 years on some of them.

I store them like I do after every outing.

I pull 'em out, push a rolled up piece of paper towel up the stuffing tube a couple times to get out all the old grease and water, then wipe them down with Rislone (Brian Spitzer put me on to that, it's an awsome after run oil too) then put them back in the boat.

Last edited:
How does everyone store their flex shafts over the winter?
Thanks
Doug
Yeah, Jeff's method is the gold standard. Personally, I go the extra mile and coat them with Vick's NyQuil, so they don't catch a winter cold, and check on them every 8 hours.

Seriously, you dude's are way overthinking this flex shaft deal.
Good lord, go take a course in tribology, metallurgy, or just enroll in a BS in Mechanical Engineering. SMH!

Merry Christmas, to all, and your flex shafts! 😂🤣😂😉

Hey............who doesn't want to be the funny guy in the room?.........Keeping things lite is good............WISE MAN ONCE SAID "Less tension will make you live longer".........So they say. ........... Everyone practice laughing once a day. Thats an order!!!!!

Merry Christmas to Everyone!!!
New Boats under the Tree for All!!!!!

Just wondering if you wipe them dry just like they are when you buy them what does the oil soak do Jeff Barnes

Kinda hard to wipe inside the windings of a spiral wrapped layered flexible cable dry like it was when you bought it.

Blowing them out with compressed air and flooding it with rust preventative penetrant your pretty safe but the oil bath is just a easy way to absolutely guarantee the shafts don't get even an iota of surface rust.
I have seen that milky white water infused grease rust cables a few times that were pulled wrapped in paper towel and placed on the bench for a week or so.

If it has been silver soldered in any way and not even used yet you can flush it all you want and it is still likely going to rust. It almost has to be pickled to ensure cable doesn't rust. You can not get that flux out of the windings and I have soaked them in lacquer thinner and sprayed with brake cleaner over and over then oil the crap out of them, Guess what ? Leave them like that for a month and tell me what happens. RUST again still, oh hell no. Been there more than once. I build a lot of 5/16" gas cables and I have learned to keep an eye on them almost daily to be sure they aren't getting any rust on them. I can't really submerge them and be able to ship them to customers.

Last edited:
Back