Flex shaft lube

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

What is the best lube for a shaft running in brass tubing? Some I see use grease and some oil.What's best?

oil is the best,especially in one of my oilers. once you use an oiler(anyones)you will never grease another shaft,ever.

oilers with belray synthetic chain & cable lube. another good, inexpensive & easy to find alternative is chain saw bar lube.

I use mobil 1 syn grease water proof and stay worthy, with that I also use an oiler with amzoil lubricant.

So how often do you have to fill one of these oilers?? How fast do they leak out??? How about some more info on how they work!!!! Thanks

Put a oiler on my last build. It was my first time to try one. Works great just very messy. Then I run my boats allot. Still better than pulling the shaft.

Just solder a piece of brass tube to your out side stuffing tube. The one that stays in the boat. then drill a hole in the tube. Drill it from the opposite side of the tube into the tube you solder on. About a .060 hole will work. Then drill a hole in the inner tube to line up with the hole in the outer tube. Get a rubber cap and put a small hole in it and stick it on top of the oiler tube after you fill it. Use a squirt bottle to fill before every run. Any oil will work fine. thicker oil will run out slower and thinner will run out faster.

Real easy to do not rocket science.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
For me i have got away from oilers.. just to darn messy. I like grease.

I use.. yea.. our grease.

Grim

NAPA Staylube Brand Marine Grease. Same as the ole blue prather grease we ran for years... 2.50 per 1 LB tube. B)

GOT GREASE :lol:

Last job closed the doors got this on the way out. Best grease you can get. Used it on the heavy equipment so the water and sand would not tear up the bushings when you were digging in the Fl sand and water mess.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
GOT GREASE :lol:

Last job closed the doors got this on the way out. Best grease you can get. Used it on the heavy equipment so the water and sand would not tear up the bushings when you were digging in the Fl sand and water mess.

David
Now thats a :D :D lifetime supply of shaft lube

Hello everybody .

Some years ago at my old club , which closed in 1993 we had a competitor running a 90 rigger with a CMB motor and the back end of the tuned pipe was tapped to take a nipple through which a lot of lubricant travelled back via a hose to the front of the stuffing box . He told us that he never needed to remove the flexshaft for lube replacement .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia :)

Hello everybody .

Some years ago at my old club , which closed in 1993 we had a competitor running a 90 rigger with a CMB motor and the back end of the tuned pipe was tapped to take a nipple through which a lot of lubricant travelled back via a hose to the front of the stuffing box . He told us that he never needed to remove the flexshaft for lube replacement .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

They tried that idea on the Thunder tiger outboard also...

Hello everybody .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Ian Inverarity from Adelaide still does this to feed his needle roller struts with oil. Works very well too.

Grease gets my vote, you know you have to pull the shaft to lube it up and doing this allows you to inspect things like the flex hex, cable wear, etc-there really isnt a "best grease" but there are some than do not work at all for our applications

I used to use prather grease. Now I will be using Grimracer Speed Grease. I have done oilers before, they are messy. and if you forget to oil it up before a run, the sound will be worse than a pissed off cat.

Latest posts

Back