First powered Boat Help needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CySlyde

Ok.. I decided to get a new toy, and since i now have better access to a good pond i figured a new boat woud be a good idea. I curently have a wrecked traxxas truck, so i am thinking about using the electronic gear from that to keep costs lower at this current time. I want to get either a hydroplane, or a cracker box but like i said i need to keep costs down. I want to spend about $20 - $50 now, and upgrade later. any suggestions?

BTW are there any clubs in the michigan area closer tto Grand Rapids than lansing? i'm prolly gonna be asking lotsa questions :D

Thanx

-=Cy

Cy...check out the thread "Heading to G.R." in the General Boating forum.

I'm afraid in that price range you're going to be looking at a CHEAP ABS hull and homemade hardware.

Ain't nothing wrong with an Electro Vee hull for $25 at Hobby-Lobby or the FDM Force 21 or 22 hulls for $30 at Fine Design.

The EV hull is a great hull for 12 cell racing and all around abuse.

The Force hulls are great for N-1 and even N-2 or our LS Mono class at Edina Model Yacht Club. Above 30mph the plastic can become quite brittle however!

In case you are wondering N1 = 6 cells stock motor. N2 = 6cell modified motor. If this is your first boat It is plenty fast. Of course like anything else speed will become an addiction. The force boats are great place to start if you have rc car gear.

(by 'cheap' I meant in price--I agree, there's nothing wrong with an EV, but there are ABS hulls that are much higher in price)

Hmm kinda backwards from the responce i thought i would get... "buy the boat build the rest" so i will take a look inot those hulls suggested. wich of those boats would probably be the most versitile? or upgradable while i am learning the ropes

thanx again

-=Cy

So where are you? I didn't see any info in your profile. I'm in the 'Zoo and Wade is in G.R.. Most of the Clubs on this side of the State have folded up or are barely going.

currently im in kentwood, however, i usually roam about the eastern side of grand rapids :)

ok now stupid newby question but it says the difference between the force 21 and froce 22 is that the force 22 has more freeboard.... what exactly is freeboard? also i was looking on fine design, and it says that the key west cat hull has motor mount and steering linkage, does anybody know if it has the rest of the drive gear minus motor? if it does i might just up my spending limit

Freeboard is the distance from the top edge of the hull to the waterline.

I'm not familiar with the Key West...Chris, you around?

Well I did finally made up my mind and ordered a fine design force 21... double checked the electronics i have, everything seems to be ok, i'm missing the battery door for the controller, so hopefully the lhs has it, now i gotta figure out the rest of the running gear, any suggestions? propjockey suggested to make the hardware are there any good sites for how to do this?

thanx again

-=Cy

if you don't have a dremel tool, lathe, or milling machine......BUY IT USED! :)

ebay's got a ton of octura and prather stuff going through, plus the rum runner forum has alot of guys selling fast electric hardware. get a strut, rudder, shaft, stuffing box, and coupler. shaft size you want is 1/8".

Joe

If you're in Kentwood, I might have some Warehouse Hobbies electric boats hardware in my basement that you can have. I know where Kentwood is, you're near the Gerald R. Ford Airport and the fun part of 28th St.

Call me if you want to, my phone number is in the G.R. thread.

Back