Help me make a TOY electric boat (KEPS's FE-2S mini)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

I really would like to try to make a fun toy ELECTRIC hydroplane. Years ago I was a trailblazer for the .12 hydros the small size and low cost was just appealing to me. I would like to do that again but with really small electric riggers. I'd like to make a KEP's FE-2S Mini.

BUT I honestly know nothing about electric riggers. I keep seeing these little motors/controllers like https://www.amazon.com/ and thinking if it would work then it could be a lot of fun! I'm not going for performance, i just want fun. Does a super low cost setup like this exist that will work for what I want?

Would someone please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I've built 2 of the Zippkits Mini Sprints.Built as recommended for 2S, they are a blast. It comes with a full hardware kit, and they offer an outrunner motor, that's under $20. I used a Hobby King cheapo 60 amp ESC without water cooling. I think it was their Blue model , and it even came with a programming card. A 430 plastic prop and your good to go. I think with a Fly Sky radio, and a couple of batteries, it came in under $200. They probably will do about 40 mph on 2S. Whole lot of fun.

Bob

Tom,

I also think the Kep's would be a great choice, but then you have to gather all the components. I actually plan on building the Kep's 2S this winter. I already have his 4S boat on my bench right now awaiting paint. He does beautiful comprehensive plans. They are really a work of art.

Hopes both of these replies help.

Bob

Tom,

I second Bob's comments on the Zippkits mini sprint. I've been running one 2 years with my young grandkids, on 2s with a back cut Octura X430 reduces load on motor runs consistently low40s and VERY stable in rough water for its size. I have pushed it on 3s with similar 3500kv it is crazy fast but clearly at the limit for this light build and size, stay with 2s for consistent fun with the kiddos. Feel free to PM me if you want, I'll modify an X430 for all you done for us on this forum. The plastic props throw blades and don't last long. Hobby King 2s 2700mah lipos 4 mm bullet connectors perfect fit good run times and very affordable.

Wallster

Tom, Good to see your still on the site. You've been quite for a while. ML Boat works also has a 2s rigger in the works. His kits look easy to build. Just another option for you other than the cheap china boats.

Tom,

Ryon has a good point. ML has a 2S rigger that's about to be released by Mike. It's a beauty. I waiting to get mine. As you can see, I really like small riggers. Also Mike's kits are second to none. He'll be supplying molded cowls and nice turn fins.

Bob

I really would like to try to make a fun toy ELECTRIC hydroplane. Years ago I was a trailblazer for the .12 hydros the small size and low cost was just appealing to me. I would like to do that again but with really small electric riggers. I'd like to make a KEP's FE-2S Mini.

BUT I honestly know nothing about electric riggers. I keep seeing these little motors/controllers like https://www.amazon.com/ and thinking if it would work then it could be a lot of fun! I'm not going for performance, i just want fun. Does a super low cost setup like this exist that will work for what I want?

Would someone please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Tom
Hi Tom,

I hope I will finalize mine this winter also. Ive done the tub sides (plywood/balsa laminates), ski sides and sponson bases (overkill done with plywood laminated divinycell cores). The (lack of) size is very cool!
default_smile.png

I'll run mine with a Traxxas Velineon 380 on either 2 or 3S and an aero esc without cooling (havent decided yet what to use tho).

Happy Holidays!

/Niklas

I like building from plans so i'm going to use Niklas's. Usually I build my own designs but I want to learn more about electric stuff first. I doubt I could design something better at this point.

Anybody know of a super cheap motor/speed controller combo?

thanks for the help!

tom

Tom,

For 2s

Zippkits/Hobby King 4400kv 450 size outrunner $17

Castle Thunderbird 54 esc $50

Hobby King Turnigy nanotech 2700 mah lipos $20 wait for sale $13 use Castke 4mm bullet connectors

Remember all air cooled so just monitor temps, motor needs some cool down between runs. Have fun with this!

Wallster

Back