First Annual Nitro Winter Shootout

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great race!

A big shout out to the organizers and all the local club members who worked to put on this NItro race!

Got to spend a day hanging with some of the best boat racers of all time....and I helped Ralph fuel his Winning Twin before one of his heats!
default_smile.png

Good times! Many of our Northern friends came to race and some just to visit. Swedish boat racer and World Champion Anders Martinelle and another racer from Slovenia made the long trip from Europe solely to watch this race. Our old friend and r/c boat racer and Eric Swenson also attended for the weekend simply to spectate and get a little nitro in his system.

Make plans for next year! This race will surely grow in numbers for next year!

NITRO ROCKS!!
Thanks to all the hard working members that put this together. This event reminded me of the good ole days and why I got into this hobby!!

Yes its true Andy was helping me get my boats ready in between rounds, but he forgot to tell you he did the props on my twin
default_biggrin.png

What made this a great event was the level of officiating and competition where equal, the highest level for both that this hobby has to offer.

Hope to see you next Year!!!!

Although I missed this one. It is great to hear all the positive comments, and only hope it continues to grow.

looking forward to being a part of the next one,

All I will say is if you did not make it to the Nitro race this year...you better start making plans for next year. I want to thank EVERYBODY that helped in making this race happen. I will be willing to bet it will be bigger next year,no doubt. Congrats to all the winner's.

Here are the results:

A Stock Tunnel
Shawn Junker
Greg Rowe
Donny Duchesne

A Mono
Oliver Douglas
Jerry Kelley
Jerry Crowther

A Mod Tunnel
Ron Byrd
Randy Premo
Mike Culhane

A Hydro
Gary Turner
Rod Hendricks
Tom Foley

Sport 21
Phil Thomas
Buddy Lowe
Bill Gibson

B Mod Tunnel
John Otto
Andy Smith
Joe Sumansky

B Mono
Rick Bellinger
Jerry Crowther
Donny Duchesne

B Hydro
Mark Adams
Tom Foley
Rod Hendricks

Sport 40
Jerry Kelley
Doug Smock
Phil Thomas

Super Stock B Tunnel
Mic Halbrehder
Joe Sumansky
John Albritton

Scale Hydro
Doug Smock
Phil Thomas
Rick Bellinger

C Mono
Stan Simpson
Jerry Crowther
Gene Mongar

C Hydro
Stan Simpson
Larry Beals
Ralph Almirola

X Mono
Jerry Crowther
Pete Forcier
Doug Smock

X Hydro
Rod Hendricks
Larry Kent
Ralph Almirola

Twin Nitro Rigger
Ralph Almirola
Tom Foley
Tom Elkins

Last edited by a moderator:
Great list of Trophey winners...many from far away places. Congrats to Doug Smock on his good success! An accomplished electric racer and record holder, I think this was his first Nitro race...and I think he LIKED it!
default_smile.png

Here are the results:

A Stock Tunnel

Shawn Junker

Greg Rowe

Donny Duchesne

A Mono

Oliver Douglas

Jerry Kelley

Jerry Crowther

A Mod Tunnel

Ron Byrd

Randy Premo

Mike Culhane

A Hydro

Gary Turner

Rod Hendricks

Tom Foley

Sport 21

Phil Thomas

Buddy Lowe

Bill Gibson

B Mod Tunnel

John Otto

Andy Smith

Joe Sumansky

B Mono

Rick Bellinger

Jerry Crowther

Donny Duchesne

B Hydro

Mark Adams

Tom Foley

Rod Hendricks

Sport 40

Jerry Kelley

Doug Smock

Phil Thomas

Super Stock B Tunnel

Mic Halbrehder

Joe Sumansky

John Albritton

Scale Hydro

Bill Hoch Scale Champ is actually Doug "AMPS" Smock

Phil Thomas

Rick Bellinger

C Mono

Stan Simpson

Jerry Crowther

Gene Mongar

C Hydro

Stan Simpson

Larry Beals

Ralph Almirola

X Mono

Jerry Crowther

Pete Forcier

Doug Smock

X Hydro

Rod Hendricks

Larry Kent

Ralph Almirola

Twin Nitro Rigger

Ralph Almirola

Tom Foley

Tom Elkins

The 3 quailfier rounds and two shootout rounds made for some close racing and you can't miss a heat with a dnf. Top six boats racing hard for two rounds.

Doug Smock won scale he had a first and a third 625 points, I had two second 600 points. If only I could catch that Rick Bellinger in the second race I would have won. The racing was great we traded wins in the quailfiers, I ended up top qualifier in scale but second place in the shootout rounds.

Interesting way ties to be settled in shootout was the top 6 had poiints 6-1 going into the last two rounds. Not sure if there were ties after last two.

Nice awards and the class winners got the Championship green hats

I finished up with a 1st place with Stealth 21 hydro, I heard I won by just one point, 2nd with Timex but got Top Qual, 3rd with my SSP45.

Jerry Kelley drove the 40 roundnose to win 1st place in Sport 40 hydro. And I think he just missed first in A mono by a bouy cut penalty
Untitled.jpg

got more pic and videos too.

The 3 quailfier rounds and two shootout rounds made for some close racing and you can't miss a heat with a dnf. Top six boats racing hard for two rounds.

Doug Smock won scale he had a first and a third 625 points, I had two second 600 points. If only I could catch that Rick Bellinger in the second race I would have won. The racing was great we traded wins in the quailfiers, I ended up top qualifier in scale but second place in the shootout rounds.

Interesting way ties to be settled in shootout was the top 6 had poiints 6-1 going into the last two rounds. Not sure if there were ties after last two.

Nice awards and the class winners got the Championship green hats

I finished up with a 1st place with Stealth 21 hydro, I heard I won by just one point, 2nd with Timex but got Top Qual, 3rd with my SSP45.

Jerry Kelley drove the 40 roundnose to win 1st place in Sport 40 hydro. And I think he just missed first in A mono by a bouy cut penalty
attachicon.gif
Untitled.jpg

got more pic and videos too.
Post up your pics and Video Phil! Looking forward to seeing my Championship Run in A Mod Tunnel!

Heres some pics.....! Can you tell that the food was FREE??
default_tongue.png
The biggest kid was runnin the race...... thank goodness Barb was up there keepin him in line, as best she could! "GO FAST" looks like he thought he lost his pointer finger when he stuck it in one of his twin props....then realized he was OKAY!
default_biggrin.png
:D The burgers and HOT DOGS AND HOEMADE CHILLI WAS AWESOME! This was one FUN race!!
default_smile.png

004.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh looks super any YouTube video clips . Wish I could have come down works work timing just not on my side this time. Pass you guy's later Charlie

Great list of Trophey winners...many from far away places. Congrats to Doug Smock on his good success! An accomplished electric racer and record holder, I think this was his first Nitro race...and I think he LIKED it!
default_smile.png
Thanks Andy! Fast boats and good folks, of course I liked it!
default_biggrin.png

It was indeed my first nitro (& NAMBA) race, but everyone made me feel like I was part of the gang. I really appreciated that fellas!

Many thanks to the Tampa and Brandon clubs for putting on the show. It's a ton of work and you all did a great job.

I need to thank Rick Bellinger for the invite and trusting me with his great running Scale, Sport 40 and X Mono. I was worried going in about keeping his boats out of trouble, but with the quality of racers at this event that was the easy part.

Jerry Crowther. Thanks for pitting for me when Rick and I were in heats together and for the emergency exhaust coupling repair on the Sp 40 that I never squared up with you on.
default_wink.png
BTW That twin stepped mono is about the SICKEST model boat I have ever had the pleasure to watch!
default_cool.png

I met a lot of racers that I have only read about here. It was a pleasure to finally put faces with the names.

Sondra and I had an absolute blast and given the opportunity would do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks again everyone! Hope to see you all in April !!

Doug

Back