FE Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
topfuel443,

I can tell you that the villain rocks even when converted to electric.

I over killed mine in the build process and with paint. Bit heavy than normal so i decided to run it with a full 18cells and a 10XL toa 40 - 42mm prop. It was a screamer. However the new cells like 3700's and up to the 4200 i have had to drop it down to 16cell. I some times i run an 8XL on the back on 16cell 438 prop. Balistic boat.

They handly like on rails.

I'll try to put some pictures up when i get my digital camera back from repair.

David

James

Nice job.

Again an oval express boat.

Maybe you came up with some good improvements on this boat, like the back area.

Hope the thing will scream over the water, but you will miss the smell of the nitro :lol:

Good luck on finishing it.

Ronald.

Ok I am new to the tunnels as well but I built a converted Top Speed 2 tunnel for my son to race in the Junior class and used a SS1 motor with a 4S lipo set up. If any one is interested in pictures let me know and I can send them to you

Thanks

Jay

Sounds cool Jay, you can start your own Album here on IW if you want to post pictures for all to see. It on the home page, then go from the link provided "members photo gallery" or something like that.

~James

James,

Are you familiar with the HTB hull? According to their website their hulld come with a radio box. If it is the same one that I saw at the last CMB club race I was at, then it might be worth looking at for your water tight requirements. It seemed from a first look that it was large enought for FE equipment and batteries. I know you are getting some help, but I believe in the KISS mentallity. Keep it simple stupid (of course not calling you stupid).

Just my thoughts and you can take them for what you want. You may want to consider just making a two stage rectangular radio box that fits under your cowling. The first stage would be for your servo's receiver, and battries. The second would be for your ESC. Don't forget about your water cooling. Very important.

Just some of my thoughts.

r,

SCBoatman

Boatman, Ive had a couple HTB's, WAYYYY too heavy for my liking. Very nice boat for nitro, but I dont think they would make a good FE boat. Im a wooden boat kind of guy. Im covered on the electronic department, thanks for the suggestions. :D

Can we expect to see you at the 2007 National Outboard Tunnel Champs in 2007? where in SC are you located?

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, ive shown pictures of my progress so far, and ive made more since then, but who else is gonna step up a give a sneak peak of what we can expect in March of 2007? :huh:

Come on FE guys... surely with all of those battery chargers/lipo balancers/super-duper-watercooled-1000megs-of-ram-speedos/and chromemufflerbearing powered brushless motors you guys have floating around in the shop....there has be a simple 3volt powered digital camera. let see them boats!

wait.....what if this is all a big trick to get me converted to battery powered toy boats, just so all of my "friends" can laugh at me when I show up at the pond with a Black & Decker Cordless "sponsored" bath tub toy? what if all of this electric tunnel talk is the big Intlwaters hoax, pullin' the wool over on ole' James..... yep he's a big dumb idiot, he'll go for anything as long as it has the word tunnel in the name.... Hey James whats next? Solar powered class at the Tunnel Nats...hahahahahahaha

Please guys, make the voices in my head stop.

:ph34r: ~James

PS, Everyone repeat after me: German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;German Beer....GOOD; American Beer....BAD;

OK, James..... here's a few pics. Just a little 12 cell something I glued together about a year ago. Haven't tried it on 18 cells, LiPo's or A123's yet, but in a month or two, when the temps get below 100 degrees, I'll have to dust it off and do some testing and tweaking. WOF 29, Neu 1512 1.5D, M440 prop, current NAMBA OPC Tunnel SAW record holder...... a very soft 50 mph.

Yep, Cap'n Ron, I'll admit to cherry pickin'.... LOL :rolleyes:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1185150/opc2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1185150/opc1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1185150/opc3.jpg

Some German Beer.... Good!; Some Belgian Beer.... Good!; Some American Micro-Brews.... Good!;

Most American Beer.... Bad!

OK, James..... here's a few pics. Just a little 12 cell something I glued together about a year ago. Haven't tried it on 18 cells, LiPo's or A123's yet, but in a month or two, when the temps get below 100 degrees, I'll have to dust it off and do some testing and tweaking. WOF 29, Neu 1512 1.5D, M440 prop, current NAMBA OPC Tunnel SAW record holder...... a very soft 50 mph.

Yep, Cap'n Ron, I'll admit to cherry pickin'.... LOL :rolleyes:
Pat,

SAWS and Cherry Pickin' don't go together in the same sentence!

you never heard me talk about cherry pickin' and SAWS, a record is just that the record!

anyone who calls it cherry pickin' is jealous...

B) Ron

Alright, ive shown pictures of my progress so far, and ive made more since then, but who else is gonna step up a give a sneak peak of what we can expect in March of 2007? :huh:

Come on FE guys... surely with all of those battery chargers/lipo balancers/super-duper-watercooled-1000megs-of-ram-speedos/and chromemufflerbearing powered brushless motors you guys have floating around in the shop....there has be a simple 3volt powered digital camera. let see them boats!

wait.....what if this is all a big trick to get me converted to battery powered toy boats, just so all of my "friends" can laugh at me when I show up at the pond with a Black & Decker Cordless "sponsored" bath tub toy? what if all of this electric tunnel talk is the big Intlwaters hoax, pullin' the wool over on ole' James..... yep he's a big dumb idiot, he'll go for anything as long as it has the word tunnel in the name.... Hey James whats next? Solar powered class at the Tunnel Nats...hahahahahahaha
no tricks James...

but you'll have to wait on our [Hammerhead H2o Racing] outboard tunnel pics, we have more pressing matters at hand right now...

like preparing for the I.M.P.B.A. '2006 S.C.C. and Q-1 Mono...

as well as toss'n together a BAM powered Seaducer FE-42 for open mono ;)

http://www.rcboatingdistributors.com/Saw/AP8040425.JPG

we'll get to that tunnel build... trust me :rolleyes:

Ron

Hi James,

Here's some pics of my Villain FE tunnel.

Paul.

interstate1.jpg

interstate2.jpg

interstate3.jpg

interstate4.jpg

Hey Paul.... I am DIGGIN' the Mariner OB cover... where can I get one?

Cool looking setup, itll help with my ideas, I assume you are running a standard villain cowl correct?

~James

Hi James,

The outboard cover is from an old 3.5 DPI kit. I think you can still get them from the UK but I'm not sure what company has them. :( I do run the stock Villain cowl, here's a pic of the whole boat.

interstate5.jpg

Paul,

Have you tried this project with a brushless set-up? While running, was the air cooling sufficient or would you recommend water cooling?

r,

SCBoatman

Hi SCB,

Haven't tried it with a BL setup......yet. ;) As far as cooling the motor that's on there now, it doesn't need it. The speedo isn't cooled either.

Paul.

K&B:

pros:

inexpensive, you get what you pay for.

Cons:

have to machine alot of the lower unit away when using a pipe (you would also do this for FE to save weight)

cast material is very brittle, cav plates break fairly eaily and are not replacable.

the "bullet" area and width if the unit is wider than lawless = more drag.

skeg gets bent, it will NOT bend back without breaking.

Lawless:

Pros:

billet aluminim unit, beautiful craftsmanship.

Cav Plate is replacable. and used to be adjustable, may still be

I have straightened many lawless skegs with a little heat and finesse.

shaft does not turn to 90 degreees, motor lays forward more for better CG

Cons:

Pricey, but you get what you pay for

???

some other notes, we weighed the units, and I cant for the life of me remember the details, but I want to say the K&B was lighter??? not sure though. it was a fairly significant difference.

The K&B prop shaft is JUNK, wears out the bushing way too fast, you will want to purchase one of Brian Nelsen's units whether you go with the lawless of the K&B, they are much better.

The prop hub distance will be different between the two units, and this is to be taken into consideration since it effect sboat handling. you may end up having to use spacers to get the distance right.

Just some of my observations... the Lawless is far superior in my opinion, but the K&B does the job well also...

~James

Ron, I don't race sprint monos in FE and I won't be slappin one together for 1 race. You have a T mono, bring it on brother. It IS the fastest T-Mono in IMPBA or NAMBA, is't it? Here's your chance to shut me up and show everyone how good your boats really are. make sure you fill her up with those A123s. :D

Paul.
OK...

Chris and i signed up and will bring two boats for Open Nitro Mono at the SCC in October... thanks for the invite

are you still coming to the SCC, i don't see ya on the sign-up sheet, i emailed ya a couple times but didn't get an answer...

Ron

Hey Ron,

Will Chris Harris come along to the tunnel champs???

I filed and sanded my K&B lower unit real thin and sharp below the cavplate (well where it used to be) I think it works great, but as james mentioned its alot of time to get it that way...

I always thought that was a REAL neat setup Paul!

Kris

Hey Ron,

Will Chris Harris come along to the tunnel champs???

Kris
Kris,

Chris and i will both be a the tunnel event...

it's gonna be a busy March, with the I.M.P.B.A. FE-III record time trials in Valdosta, Ga and the National Outboard Tunnel Championships in Walterboro, SC... B)

look'n forward to meet'n ya!

Ron

Back