Epoxy issue?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswelbaum

Is G-flex epoxy resilient to moisture? I have a wood kit that was framed up last summer and everything was strong then but, now the frames and stringers are “popping” apart from each other. The kit was kept in my un heated garage over the winter so I’m assuming it’s moisture related.

Is G-flex epoxy resilient to moisture? I have a wood kit that was framed up last summer and everything was strong then but, now the frames and stringers are “popping” apart from each other. The kit was kept in my un heated garage over the winter so I’m assuming it’s moisture related.
If you mixed it correctly the only thing I’ve seen happen to a new builder is they either skimp on the amount of glue in the joint or tightened the clamps too tight and ended up with a dry joint.

When I glue with gflex I make sure to use enough that it squeezes out both sides of bulkhead and after a half hour or so fashion a popsicle stick to make a nice fillet.

You know that sounds like the problem. I used just enough epoxy and had very little smush out from between the pieces I had glued together. Thought I was doing myself a favor by using as little as possible. I wonder if I can’t just lay a bead down to reinforce my joints?

Back