Engine Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent around $450. this summer for a CMB 21 only because it seems to be a little more reliable and not as touchy on the needle when running the same horse power as other motors. I could afford it but most people can't. If you had a dependable and easy motor I think people would buy it but then again what happened to the K&B? As a business man I would wonder, could you hire someone reliable to build these motors, pay their workmans comp etc., Promote these things at shows etc. and still sell them at $350.? I'm not trying to be a kill joy and there is alot to be said for doing something just kuz you enjoy doing it, but, I have been in business for a while and looked at many business oppertunitys as well as managed my own. The biggest road block is always employees and marketing. %15 of the cost of these little beauties needs to go to marketing and advertising the first year. At least it used to. With the advent of the internet and this fine site and all of it's loyal patrons you might be able to cut that in half.......maby. My point is that I can build alot of things cheap but when I hire someone else at $15 to $25. per hour the cost goes crazy. just my $25. worth

Andy,Instead of building a complete mid line engine, how about a rebuild kit for example:

Picco 67 EXR rebuild kit:

new crankshaft (radiused crank pin)

new Aluminum connecting rod

Billet piston / Sleeve / wristpin / head button

Most "other" parts are always good, crankcase, drum housing and rotor, wc heads last forever, we already use the OS 40A or 9B carb, so we dont have to re-invent those parts.

I'll never live or race long enough to use all the Picco 45's, 67's I have today.

Just a thought.

B)
Great idea Joe. I will second that :D

Andy,Instead of building a complete mid line engine, how about a rebuild kit for example:

Most "other" parts are always good, crankcase, drum housing and rotor, wc heads last forever, we already use the OS 40A or 9B carb, so we dont have to re-invent those parts.

I'll never live or race long enough to use all the Picco 45's, 67's I have today.

Just a thought.

B)
Are you all trying to make me work overtime?!?! LOL

Just a thought.

B)
Are you all trying to make me work overtime?!?! LOL
Andy:

It is nice to see you posting again. I know that you have been hitting it hard getting things up and running. FINALLY, you are getting some results.

I can see that you are a lot more happy.... Actually joking and "stirring the pot: :)

Marty Davis

Andy, I think the new cheaper engine idea is great! The only other thing that turns people away from a product, is availability. There is nothing more frustrating then needing a part or an engine and find out none are available. So put me down for a engine. Also I am a long time scale guy and I am interested in your new rudder how much are they again.

Don McKay

Andy i think if you build this motor for 350.00 you will be rolling in the dough :D you will sell lot's of motor's just be ready for all the order's that will come your way.

Good luck hope the best for you and all at CMDi

This is not a paid comercial .............. Andy you can mail me a cheque latter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just Kidding

Andy, I think the new cheaper engine idea is great! The only other thing that turns people away from a product, is availability. There is nothing more frustrating then needing a part or an engine and find out none are available. So put me down for a engine. Also I am a long time scale guy and I am interested in your new rudder how much are they again.Don McKay

Don,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and stepping up for one of these new engines!

But....I hate starting another engine list. I have one that is....oh, about a mile long...LOL

As completion of engines get closer I'll keep the boating world updated. I plan to build enough to fill all possible orders......I hope! :)

The new rudder assembly is $54.95 and it comes standard with a single water p/u blade made of 6061-T-6

We have stonger, thinner blades made of 7075 T-6 for an additional $15.

Also, with the 7075-T6 blades there are choices for length and width.

Good Scale boating,

Andy

Hey Andy,,

It would be great to see another option when it comes to purchasing nitro motors again..

I ( like your self ), went through all of the stages of Picco design and changes through the years.

but one thing that was constant back then was the availibility of replacement parts.

If I broke a motor on Sunday,,I could have the parts from Tidewater on Tuesday and be running by the next weekend.

Parts availiblity after the initial sale is going to be the key...produce a good engine with a large availibilty of replacement parts,,you can't loose.

Hell, I'm up to my knees in CMB motors and parts,,but would sure welcome a new motor with a known availibity of replacement parts.

BTW,,,I have seen a lot of chatter on the boards about the A/A motor,,,but I was out of boats for a while,,,care to fill me in on what an A/A is ??

Oh, and thanks for all you do for model boating !!!

Andy :ph34r: I remembered about new project build A-Cube engines on IW last time? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy i think if you build this motor for 350.00 you will be rolling in the dough :D you will sell lot's of motor's just be ready for all the order's that will come your way.
Good luck hope the best for you and all at CMDi

This is not a paid comercial .............. Andy you can mail me a cheque latter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just Kidding
You know if we keep Andy answering these post, WE'LL NEVER GET OUR EGNGINES!!

Go build, Andy, go build please.

ANDY inexpensive reliable engines would help the nitro numbers back in model boating. I don't know if there would be enough sales to warrant manufacturing these engines since the market is small compared to the RC car numbers but if it's done correctly you would have a jump on th emarket like Aquacraft did with the RTR boats. They found a small niche of boats between toy and full competitive race boats and jumped in to fill that niche , and have done a great job. If you think you can afford the extra work load I'd say go for it.

Bill Zuber

Andy, the exchange rate is going to keep the CMB and other motor prices high for a long time to come. If you built pistons and sleeves for the mac motors, I'm sure you could sell a ton of them. I'm sure every serious boater has at least a couple of macs in their trailers, and I'm sure they would all like new parts for next season. I know I do!

Start there and work your way up to the big stuff.

Mike

Andy, the exchange rate is going to keep the CMB and other motor prices high for a long time to come. If you built pistons and sleeves for the mac motors, I'm sure you could sell a ton of them. I'm sure every serious boater has at least a couple of macs in their trailers, and I'm sure they would all like new parts for next season. I know I do! Start there and work your way up to the big stuff.

Mike
Mike,

I have started work on MAC P/L production.

Maybe I should build some CMB P/L replacements too! ;) Evo 90's 100's......??

While I'm working out the final details of making replacement parts for MAC engines I'm begining to think again about the fine details of the A/A Pro which will be a very high end engine that will also come with a high price tag.Currently the high cost of the only nitro engine availible is putting pressure on the finances of many nitro boaters.

This brings me to the question. Would a good solid performing engine that was moderately priced help bring back the numbers in Nitro racing?

I'm thinking of an aluminum rod, Picco style drum, medium sized carb, straight forward porting, yet with good solid reliable performance out of the box for about $350 for a .67 engine.

Any thoughts?
Hi Andy,

Will this motor or the A/A motor be able to be put in a scale boat and slow down to a crawl and come out of the hole at the start of a heat, or will it primarily be a rigger type high end screamer? Up here in Pacific Northwest scale racing if you can't push water ahead of the sponsons and come out of the hole like a rocket, you have no chance of winning a heat unless everyone else wrecks or gets penalties.

Mike

While I'm working out the final details of making replacement parts for MAC engines I'm begining to think again about the fine details of the A/A Pro which will be a very high end engine that will also come with a high price tag.Currently the high cost of the only nitro engine availible is putting pressure on the finances of many nitro boaters.

This brings me to the question. Would a good solid performing engine that was moderately priced help bring back the numbers in Nitro racing?

I'm thinking of an aluminum rod, Picco style drum, medium sized carb, straight forward porting, yet with good solid reliable performance out of the box for about $350 for a .67 engine.

Any thoughts?
Hi Andy,

Will this motor or the A/A motor be able to be put in a scale boat and slow down to a crawl and come out of the hole at the start of a heat, or will it primarily be a rigger type high end screamer? Up here in Pacific Northwest scale racing if you can't push water ahead of the sponsons and come out of the hole like a rocket, you have no chance of winning a heat unless everyone else wrecks or gets penalties.

Mike
Mike,

In the last years after starting with the MAC engines I have learned what it takes to have what you are looking for and still have good top end power.

However, it is not poissble to build an engine that is best for all hull types and different racing situations.

For that reason and after watching you guys race in the Pacific NorthWest, I have been making plans to build a .67 veriation that is specific to 1/8 Scale racing. I'm not just talking about low exhaust timing and a small twin needle carb. I'm talking about the complete package with correct geometry, porting, ect. Something that will idle around the pond @ 10 mph for a lap and then blow a 15 pound scale hull out of the water and still hit 65 mph by the end of the back straight.

I certainly haven't forgot you guys Mike.

Good boating,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Any thoughts?
Hi Andy,

Mike
Mike,

In the last years after starting with the MAC engines I have learned what it takes to have what you are looking for and still have good top end power.

However, it is not poissble to build an engine that is best for all hull types and different racing situations.

For that reason and after watching you guys race in the Pacific NorthWest, I have been making plans to build a .67 veriation that is specific to 1/8 Scale racing. I'm not just talking about low exhaust timing and a small twin needle carb. I'm talking about the complete package with correct geometry, porting, ect. Something that will idle around the pond @ 10 mph for a lap and then blow a 15 pound scale hull out of the water and still hit 65 mph by the end of the back straight.

I certainly haven't forgot you guys Mike.

Good boating,

Andy
Sign me up for two please!!!! :D

Back