Engine Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBrown

While I'm working out the final details of making replacement parts for MAC engines I'm begining to think again about the fine details of the A/A Pro which will be a very high end engine that will also come with a high price tag.

Currently the high cost of the only nitro engine availible is putting pressure on the finances of many nitro boaters.

This brings me to the question. Would a good solid performing engine that was moderately priced help bring back the numbers in Nitro racing?

I'm thinking of an aluminum rod, Picco style drum, medium sized carb, straight forward porting, yet with good solid reliable performance out of the box for about $350 for a .67 engine.

Any thoughts?

While there will always be someone some place that will buy that super high end motor, I think the lower priced solid performer will sell better and keep people in the hobby.

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered I have only been doing this for a very short time but a good motor at a reasonable price would help advance the hobby as long as a reliable source of parts was available.Seems like if you are running anything but cmb parts can be a real pain

You couldn't build'em fast enough! or maybe you can. ;)

But please also build the A/A motors. :)

-Buck-

Andy: I am all for the moderately priced engine as long as it will run as fast as or faster than the only 67 nitro engine available now. I also agree that you should build the A/A 67 in addition to the moderately priced engine. Do you still plan to build a 67 scale engine, which as discussed, would allow room for the carb under the scale cowling. Perry

Andy: I am all for the moderately priced engine as long as it will run as fast as or faster than the only 67 nitro engine available now. I also agree that you should build the A/A 67 in addition to the moderately priced engine. Do you still plan to build a 67 scale engine, which as discussed, would allow room for the carb under the scale cowling. Perry

"as long as it will run as fast as or faster than the only 67 nitro engine available now."

LOL Perry..........that's the easy part!! ;)

This engine would have a standard drum like the Picco or CMB 67 so it will fit in any scale hull.

...And you know me...I won't be satisfied until I've built the badest of all bad fast engines..... :)

CAN YOU SAY YES !!!! -

As far as the A/A motor- what kind of price range are we talking??

Could it also be adapted for Scale only use as Perry mentioned ??

Would we be talking about better power than a .67 Green head ?? Sorry for all the questions !!! I LIKE the idea of my motors coming from just down the road-not a thousand mile away !!!! And from whats come out of CMD lately , I cant wait ;)

Andy

As a fleet owner myself (LOL) I would love to be able you buy a motor that will maybe be able to leave enough in your pocket to get some fuel and glow plugs. I think you definately need to come out with the A/A series though for the people who wouldn't mind spending the extra money for a well proven motor.

Cliff

Andy, I'd say build a motor that everyone will want. We can always have you modify it to our needs.

While I'm working out the final details of making replacement parts for MAC engines I'm begining to think again about the fine details of the A/A Pro which will be a very high end engine that will also come with a high price tag.Currently the high cost of the only nitro engine availible is putting pressure on the finances of many nitro boaters.

This brings me to the question. Would a good solid performing engine that was moderately priced help bring back the numbers in Nitro racing?

I'm thinking of an aluminum rod, Picco style drum, medium sized carb, straight forward porting, yet with good solid reliable performance out of the box for about $350 for a .67 engine.

Any thoughts?
Andy, To finish 1st you have to finish. Too many 4 lap wonders out there. Second, the fastest boat does not always win. You build it they will buy. My 2 cents. ;) ;) ;)

Aluminum rod is OK as long as it is strong, buy what about the crank pin: bearing or bushing? I really prefer the needle bearing steel rods, but understand that they are more expensive to manufacture. For a low price engine, a bushing rod is probably OK. But please make the crank pin the same size so we can upgrade to the steel/needle bearing rod if we want to.

Andy,

There are many racers that I know and are clammering for a cheaper engine plant that will be competitive, I would suspect that every one you build will sell immediately. I am sure with the MAC reliability and reputation that the new ones will be the same. And they would outsell the A/A editions 10 to 1 or more and that is because of the need. I sure hope you do what you are thinking of doing. It would stop the stranglehold that CMB currently has on the market and help the boaters in the long run. A much larger picture is at stake and you can assure that CMDi will be a major part of the success of it. You have always had great vision so continue on with it.

Aluminum rod is OK as long as it is strong, buy what about the crank pin: bearing or bushing? I really prefer the needle bearing steel rods, but understand that they are more expensive to manufacture. For a low price engine, a bushing rod is probably OK. But please make the crank pin the same size so we can upgrade to the steel/needle bearing rod if we want to.

Jon,

The rod will be the same quality as what we use in the MAC 21 and the RPM rods that we all used in Picco's as an upgrade. They will be reliable.

This engine is not to replace the MAC or the high end A/A Pro. Those options will be availible also.

As they say,

build it,they will come.

Sounds great Andy,

I also believe there's room for both series motors.

The future of boat racing suddenly looks better :)

I just read 3 different series of motors. Do you think we need 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, Thanks for the info. The RPM rods were great, and bushings work fine on the 21s. The RPM rods were a definite upgrade to the factory aluminum bushed rods, but at that time, needle bearing rods were not the norm. Technology advancement has shown that the steel/needle bearing rods are very reliable on the larger engines. I have a ton of 67 bushing type aluminum rods that have oval big ends or spun bushings. It's just the nature of the beast. One slight lean run, and the bushings go bye-bye. The needle bearings will also fail (or the P/S) on a lean run, but the bushing in the bottom of the rod seems to fail first. Would it be possible to keep the crank pin dia (or crank bearing layout), and the rod length the same, so that the rod (and maybe crank) could be upgraded to needle bearing style? That might be the best of both worlds. And keeping the rods/crank design common might reduce overall costs. Maybe sell the steel rod version with a $25~$35 premium. That is still ~$100 less than the MAC67, and would pretty much gut the CMB stranglehold on the market. Just a thought.

I love the concept of a billet case, much better material properties than a casting. And no casting tooling, or casting defects. I assume it would be a 1 piece case, correct?

I think you have a winner here. Build them, and they will come. I think $350 is a great price point, and just the ticket for a CMB competitor. It could be the Picco/CMB Green head replacement of choice. Any thought of expanding this concept to 45 and 80 sizes as well?

Back