Engine observation and question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of 3d modeling ,this guy is doing that trying to design the ultimate 2stroke. hes getting over the hurdles of trying to cast a small cylinder with all the fancy passages trapping air or cooling too quickly. looks like hes going to need more feeder/weight tubes using more metal than the actual cylinder . its a 50cc if i remember correct so u can imagine the trouble/extra cost it will be with a 25cc or a tiny 15cc and under nitro. with the increasingly bad cost of supplying materials and the lowered interest in i.c the forwarding of the tech and the very existence of it even ,days are numbered. the guys that are all for the vroom vroom sound are becoming out numbered much like those that are all about traditional gender existence/roles . the world is just changing .

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAdegnes

While the major research and development of the two stroke engines, especially for the RC group, are slowing down now, the continued advancements will be made by those in it for the enjoyment and the challenge of making something better, not for the financial benefits.

The number of RC engines needed for our hobbies are just too small for a good return on the investment that the big players need to justify the bottom line in their companies finances.

Charles

I admire that fellow's tenacity, but in reality he is simply down sizing the Aprilia 125 cylinder to 50cc. He's not designing anything new or different.

For the most part, the people who are pushing for everything electric, are motivated by gov't. regulations. There is no huge wave forming of electric motorsports fans, and to suggest they are out numbering the millions of IC fans the world over, is nonsense. And while I will be long gone, it will be many generations before electric vehicles dominate the landscape, and motorsport as we know it, fade away quietly because there is no excitement left in it. 

I don't think social issues are what we are here for, but the world is and has, always changed.

Electricity has no soul.  It'll be the death of motor sports.  Might as well just play a video game.

That said hopefully they'll be some future generations to pick up the interest in the hobby.  Don't know they'll be enough to really keep it going, but we'll see.  There are a surprising number of people that like to dress up like knights, so things that went out of fashion 100's of years ago are still around, I'm sure our hobby will survive to some extent.

The biggest thread is noise and concerns about liability closing down ponds.

the problem is each new generation wants more and more short cuts and instant gratification. yes aprillia been hot for years. i grew up on polini,bi zeta ,malossi ,autista kit parts for my peuogot . there was prob another 1 or 2 italian names but u get the idea . for that reason ive never been fascinated with anything ive seen in rc boats,in fact i was quite disgusted when (after using k&b) i discovered most of the engines where made by italians. i had to learn to accept what i have today. WE may be i.c lovers but there are so many that are not into it. they complain about noise,smell then the "environment" plus the plug n players want to plug and play and when they are tired=unplug. no maintenance ,mods,tunning or at least not what we would call any of these things BUT i still gotta respect the youngins everybody has the right to choose what they want to play with . point is the lower #'s will make it impossible for any company large enough to really do the work to make any money. the pioneer is in the low end costwise of the hi end of gas engines. the bizeta is even more ,thats only a 27 ,the gas world goes up to 35cc and the price creeps up on $2000. most of those dont have all the bells and whistles. add more frills, quarter the production #s and quarter the size,,,,could u imagine paying $2000 for a .45 nitro engine??? i dont think anybody would buy it. so we are kinda stuck . also lets put aside that there is a certain manufacturer playing games going back and forth (upgrading then downgrading of the best sellers) with their designs over the years so will we ever get ahead? im just ranting a bit so excuse me but i hope  u get the jist of what im saying 

" Electricity has no soul.  It'll be the death of motor sports.  Might as well just play a video game. "  I'm sure most horse owners felt that around 1900 about the IC engine.  I think their argument was better since they're talking about animals vs machines.  Here we're only talking about different machines.

You obviously haven't driven an electric car or raced electric boats.  I  have an electric car and race electric boats.  In the past I've raced both model and full size IC engine powered boats.  Electrics now have higher performance than similar IC powered vehicles.  Having said that, I'm working on an add on cylinder for Zenoahs.  I would 3D print the model in a suitable plastic and investment cast it in aluminum.  It's a fun project in pushing the limits.  A steam powered RC SAW boat would be a similar project.  I wouldn't expect either to be more than a fun hobby project to see what could be done with some old ideas.

Lohring Miller

Zenoah Miller Cylinder 4 transfer v6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone is saying that electric vehicles are not fast and quick. Just not sexy LOL.

Lohring, would that be a sleeved rear exh. for Zen? That would be terrific!

Getting back for a moment to the cost and development of newer designs for hobby engs.; The success of the gas Pioneer cyld. came from basically an individual wanting "better" than a utility eng. had to offer, and the same for the highly sought-after M&D Cast motor. The design and concept of the Aprilia has been out there for many years, so the hobby motor manufacturers wouldn't have had to start from scratch. Perhaps because all these nitro marine engs. were adapted from aircraft designs, there was no drive for any further development. Marine consumption is nothing compared to aircraft.

I planned to make it a side exhaust engine, but the red coil would probably need to be repositioned.  It could be rear exhaust.  I will need an adapter plate because there's no way the Zenoah cylinder bolts will work.  A square bolt pattern would allow side or rear exhaust positioning.  The piston would need to be different for each.  I also planned to use a 55 mm rod to give more room for the intake port.  It's possible to run a boost port between the intake port sections.  That might be even better if I can get enough area in all the ports.  So far I draw a design, run the simulation and then redraw things to see what I can improve.  Building something will be the real test but is a lot more time consuming.

If you're talking about the FOS and sleeve valve engines, there are a couple of pictures below.  Note the similarities.  Both cylinders were designed to run on the same crankcase also pictured.  I don't know how they worked but here's a video of the sleeve valve engine running.

Lohring Miller

FOS cylinder 20110823-08.jpg

FOS cylinder 20110823-09.jpg

IMG_4524_zps7104c784.jpg

IMG_4986_zps22742368.jpg

post-2348-0-09255500-1443996475.jpg

IR .21 Nitro boat eng.

The case becomes part of the port reducing all the volume it can. no wasted space it all has a reason to be there.

The ports are of a very good high velocity design for High speed flow.

Ceramic coating on the cylinder. 

The drum intake is light as a feather with loads of time area.

The cooling head is just enough and in the right spot.

LOVE this eng.............................

will have pistons made and run this again one day.

DSCN1322.JPG

DSCN1324.JPG

DSCN0953.JPG

DSCN0955.JPG

DSCN0956.JPG

DSCN0960.JPG

DSCN0958.JPG

DSCN0957.JPG

Back