Electric Racing at Battle of the Borders 2006

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Well the time came for us FE racers here in Aus to come together and put on a PROPER show. The general talk from the Nitro and Gas boaters was that we did alright.

I think they were surprised by how fast the 12 cell BL and 16 cell 700 monos actually were, the racing was also fairly tight.

As for the Results:

12 Cell BL/16 Cell 700 Mono

1st Andrew Gilchrist - Syncron - Neu motor

2nd Kris Flynn - Oval Mater 26 - 16 cell 700

3rd David Kingston - Oval Master 26 - 1st and 2nd heat 8XL, 2nd heat 16 cell 700, 3rd heat 12 cell 700

In Short, Our little 12/16 cell monos wetre going faster than most (if not all) of the A mono's at this meet (now i know there was trouble with the heat and pipes/needles and stuff with the Nitro's but still its a pretty good effort). I wish Dave could have made up his mind on which setup he was going to run though :lol:

Limited Sport Hydro

1st Andrew Gilchrist - Cambel Shovel - Neo X

2nd David Kingston - H&M Lifter - Neo X

3rd I can't recall if Shane Deacon or Peter Zala got a 3rd???

Even though Dave's boat smashed a big hole in my right sponson deck when I spun out in front of him during practice on the Thursday, it still made it to the water with some gaffer tape ;)

I hope we can continue to grow and expand our classes...i think we got some interest from a few people who i REALLY didnt expect to.

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the report Kris and congrats to all who participated...

way to go Andrew... what [set-up] Neu motor were you running?

Ron :rolleyes:

BTW I forgot the mention that we ran on the 1500m Nitro course (5 laps 300m each)

My 700 mono (with a X437/3) had the fastest heat time of the FE's of i think around 1.45???

Daves Lifter did a 2.04.

I think with a bit more experience from all in the next fewe races we will see better times and clser racing

kris

Kris,

It was peter that got 3rd in hydro.

I wish that andrew didnt cut me off it would have been a close race that one where he flipped me. But that is racing i guess. dooh

I think that my decision on what motor to run in the mono was stupid now. I would have been better to just set up another 700 and leave my kick ass motor in your boat. That was a fast setup. Im working on making a bigger version of the mono now. I think that it will be better and be able to run in rough water conditions.

To right about the monos going faster than the nitro. It would be interesting to see when the water and weather conditions are right for nitro just to compare the lap times.

WELL DONE ELECTRICS IN AUSTRALIA....

Kris,

I wish that andrew didnt cut me off it would have been a close race that one where he flipped me. But that is racing i guess. dooh

I think that my decision on what motor to run in the mono was stupid now. I would have been better to just set up another 700 and leave my kick ass motor in your boat. That was a fast setup. Im working on making a bigger version of the mono now. I think that it will be better and be able to run in rough water conditions.

To right about the monos going faster than the nitro. It would be interesting to see when the water and weather conditions are right for nitro just to compare the lap times.

How many guys showed raced in each class?

How many total Nitro boaters raced?

Kris,

How many guys showed raced in each class?

How many total Nitro boaters raced?
There was 6 700 electric mono's, and 6 electric hydro's.

We had a total of 207 boats entered at BOTB, I didn't check nitro verse's petrol but normally they are about even nowdays in Oz.

How choppy was the water guys? We don't normally have any worries running 12 cell Oval Master monos at Boondall or North Lakes.

Glad you guys had a good weekend of racing, hopefully there'll be more of it in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
The water wasn't very pleasant Scott...it was mainly the turns and coming out of them, especially down at bouy 6!

BTW Dave, I agree, i wish you had left the setup in my boat :lol: Don't worry about it though...

Kris

Water conditions were great if you have a 29 - 30 inch mono, 12 inch wide.

It was a bit to rough to run the 12 cell BL in a 26inch boat. Even the bigger electrics had some handeling issues. We now know that for next time we need to have larger monos. The weight of the light electrics had us bouncing off the waves and tossed us all over the shop. Bigger boat, little bit more weight, same power in these boats should see more stable running in rough conditions. Im working on a bigger deep vee now.

They Hydros were ok. Well mine was at lease. The hull is bigger than what the other guys were running> Kris, how cool was it on saturday when that wind blew up and the hydro was turned into an off shore racer :)

whish that i had some video of that.

For the electrics, im glad that we have started out now. It will take time to get more interested but i think that we did the right thing over the weekend to be able to have another few races at the next event. Perhaps not the nationals though.

As a note also to the 1.5Km course. The electric setups 8XL 642 props just loved it. THe motors were warm and the cells also. Perhaps a 640 would be more sport setup. But the racing was more fun going longer. Plus the large straights and long turns which felt like straights heaped in running cooler boats. Im not interested in a smaller course for electrics. Keep with full size. What are others thoughts on this.

David

As a note also to the 1.5Km course. The electric setups 8XL 642 props just loved it. THe motors were warm and the cells also. Perhaps a 640 would be more sport setup. But the racing was more fun going longer. Plus the large straights and long turns which felt like straights heaped in running cooler boats. Im not interested in a smaller course for electrics. Keep with full size. What are others thoughts on this.

David
David,

since i've started hang'n and running with the gas and nitro guys here in the states i am all about a 1/6th mile course for my electric mono's and sport hydro's!

there is no going back to a 1/10th mile course for this FE boater...

Ron

Greg,

Thanks for the great words.

I really had a great time racing that weekend. It was another learning experience.

LSH will be the best class to start off.

$500 bucks should be competivie.

Looking fwd to meeting all at another race meet..

Ron

On the Neu's I ran a 1512/2.5D and IB3800 and an Andy Brown Y536. I think it was fast. I certainly used the pack and everything ran comfortably hot over a 2 minute heat. However I think a modified X438 or Y536 detounged might be a better way to go.

As Kris said it was a hoot to get speeds which were generally with the 3.5 monos. Kris had a stunner of a run in a 16 cell 700 setup and cut a 1:50 which was 10 seconds ahead of my best time. It showed the potential of a very inexpensive setup for speed. I believe his time was the fastest of all electric and 3.5 monos.

Racing was fun. In mono we were all a bit slow to adjust to the conditions - the chop was bad and winds gusty - but for the lsh rounds it was mostly good to middling water conditions.

Ron

On the Neu's I ran a 1512/2.5D and IB3800 and an Andy Brown Y536. I think it was fast. I certainly used the pack and everything ran comfortably hot over a 2 minute heat. However I think a modified X438 or Y536 detounged might be a better way to go.
Thanks Andrew...

i've running a scratch-built [ply-balsa-glass] John Finch "Wild Thing 32" mono on 16 cells with a Neu 1512 3DS and a water-cooled Cuda 125 turning a Octura X-645 prop in Q-Mono form with excellent speeds and run time...

we've when found you find the [sweet spot] with these Neu motors heat is not a factor and 90% plus eff. is the norm!

Ron

Ron

with 3800's I have 200-300 mah left after a race - its a mile in length - are we comparing apples with apples?

Back