Dumas Pay N Pak sport 20 FE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hugh hargett

Treated myself to this dumas pay n pak sport 20 for my birthday. Im going to power It with a t600 4035 1400 kv outrunner and an octura x645 on 6s lipo and a .078 wire drive.

Last edited:
That's an awfully big motor for a relatively small 30" hydro. 6S is a lot of power for it too, and a lot of weight. Plus it may not be legal to race, assuming you ever wanted to.

What are your performance expectations for the boat: speed, run time, etc?

I actually dont plan to lighten it . I actually plan to fill it with foam which will likely make it heavier; thats part of the reason I went with the larger motor . I hope it doesnt exclude me from being able to race it.Im hoping the motor limits go by the weight of the motor which for this outrunner is comparable to a 540 xl series motor. I want to be able to comfortably turn my prop with this heavier boat. I wanted the extra strength and rigidity of the foam fill as well as the floatation.I get nervous after a blowover or a stall and I dont have any floatation. Batteries might be an issue too @ 6s. Im planning to get at least 35c 5000 3s packs and saddle them series. I have a 6xl for backup for which Id run the 3s packs in parallel.Looking at everything I think it will stay under 5 pounds loaded. I may not fill it all just certain parts. I dont want to compromise too much on my motor at a minimum I want a 580L size motor or an extremely strong 540 xl series.As for speed I havent thought of any specifics I just think with a 4 or 6 series prop in the 42 to 48 mm range it would run strong.Id like it to be competitive and not struggling to do it.My thoughts were that it was better to over power it and detune it than to underpower it. The 540 xl just didnt look like enought for this hull. I have one in a 12th scale pak but this sport 20 is considerably larger. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
I would go with a 4s power system and use a Leopard 4074 2000kv motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
In North America classes go by battery not motor unless you are in one of the spec classes.

That boat might be competitive in LSH or Limited Sport Hydro if you lighten it up and run run of the spec motors and 4s.

That hull would be beaten like a dog in higher cell count open racing, even in LSH you will be racing against high end modern hulls that perform much better than that one.

Nice boat for playing around but it's a very old design and lots has changed in rc boat design since the 70's or early 80's when that kit was done.

The local hobby shop had one of those on the shelf when I was an early teen just getting into rc, owner talked me into a DeepVee 20 for a first boat, I have wanted one of these since then!

Might look at one of the framing kits in 1/10 scale from one of the guys here, a bit over 30" but with modern sponson and tub design.

I believe the finlay plans are also available in a number of scales for this hull.

In North America classes go by battery not motor unless you are in one of the spec classes.

That boat might be competitive in LSH or Limited Sport Hydro if you lighten it up and run run of the spec motors and 4s.

That hull would be beaten like a dog in higher cell count open racing, even in LSH you will be racing against high end modern hulls that perform much better than that one.

Nice boat for playing around but it's a very old design and lots has changed in rc boat design since the 70's or early 80's when that kit was done.

The local hobby shop had one of those on the shelf when I was an early teen just getting into rc, owner talked me into a DeepVee 20 for a first boat, I have wanted one of these since then!

Might look at one of the framing kits in 1/10 scale from one of the guys here, a bit over 30" but with modern sponson and tub design.

I believe the finlay plans are also available in a number of scales for this hull.
Thanks I have a finlay 12th scale version already just wanted to put this one together and see how it does even though its an old design.

I built one back in 1982 and it was a barge. I was running an HB .20 for an engine, the Dumas hardware kit and a 2 channel Futaba radio using the kit as designed without lightening it up at all. I'm now doing two boats based on the Pak kit as well as building a modified kit. I've got the kit framework down to 12.4 ounces, but that includes a shortened rear bottom panel. I'd be curious to hear how much your finished hull weighs without the hardware, motor, radio or batteries. Just for a comparison, one of my remanufactured hulls weighs in at 1 lb-.15 ounces with the left sponson, both rear nontrips and the again shortened rear bottom done.
It should be interesting. The one good thing is I wont be using dumas running hardware. Ill be using .078 wiredrive and a 3/16 propshaft. I hadnt decided on which bearings Ill use yet. I may goto needle bearings not quite sure yet but the side load of the wire should be minimum, as it will have a very slight bend over its length.Based on the feedback im getting I may lighten it but i think ill regain it all back as soon as I foam fill it.I may step up to a smaller higher kv motor but I just dont think my feigao 540 6xl 3s and a x642 will do it????? even though the hull may benefit from the lighter power package. I do think that this t600 will put out better than a stock .20 nitro.It kinda hard to compare we will have to see.

Last edited:
Im wishing to find something like this: I really like this design to save props. Does anyone make one like this ? I can't find it so far I'm trying to avoid having to CAD it and have someone make it.I also can accept this horrible tolerance. Im going to take Jt and Hj's advice and lighten it up too but first I have to make som shims to deal with this.

Last edited:
That's an awfully big motor for a relatively small 30" hydro. 6S is a lot of power for it too, and a lot of weight. Plus it may not be legal to race, assuming you ever wanted to.

What are your performance expectations for the boat: speed, run time, etc?

do you think a x637 is too small a prop for a sport 20 30 inch long boat?with a 637 on a feigao 6xl @ 4s 1P I get 66mph at 130 amps with a run time of 2 min and 15 seconds. 2 p increased the speed but actually shortened the run time

Last edited:
ANYONE! What is the criteria for LSH? a nue 1527 1d looks like a viable choice for this motor im also looking at a kb45-8L as another. Whats the scoop? I found the namba rules for lsh neither is legal and to compete with theese rule I agree the hull will have to be light. I can let my 12th scale pak run in lsh with a shorter motor but this sport 20 looks like it will be a p sport hydro.The motor limits for LSH are too restrictive for me :lol: This dumas hull would need to be redone in hardbalsa to compete in lsh.Im going to simply build it to plan and continue with a beefy motor.Based on what I read a 4074 leo is too long to be legal.

Last edited:
Wire drives.Stub on the right is toyotatruckins, Its really nice. The other is my own thruhole set-screw lock design.

Last edited:
Back