Drilling holes in engine rails, how to?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been doing RC boats for some time now and have never figured out how people drill perfect holes in engine mounting rails, or holes for 3rd channel mix vales, or pipe brackets, etc.??? Does everyone except me have some kind of right angle drill thingamabob or ??? Big boats only have 5 inch spacing and that is as wide as it gets. What fits in there perpendicular? Thanks, James. Yu can teach an old dog a new trick, especially if it means buying a new tool!

You want old school, mark it out and cut a 16 penny nail. Hold it at a 90 in vice grips, heat it cherry red and burn your holes through. Clean them up with a twist drill by hand....... :ph34r: ==={}

I was using a set of shorty thumb drive drill bits but the Arthur in my hands is too painfull to do it anymore. I like the burn through thing, will have to cut me a set of nails I guess, might not hurt to cut a tooth on the end as well. I will keep a look out for a Dremel right angle attachment too. Thanks guys.

James i use a right angle attachment for my drill, i also bought some short drill bits from an engineering firm, works brilliantly.

Steve

I use right angle attachment on dremel from Lowe's for about 25.00 and dremel bits, then reem out holes to proper size with strait cutting bit

For those that are bucks up or have ever worked on aircraft- Ingersol-Rand makes a right angle drill motor(air powered) that has a head only around 3/4" long that takes short drill bits used in the aircraft industry- 1/4-28 that screw into the head . Just posotion the mounts with vise grips or clamps and drill your #10 holes for the 10-32 screws in the rails.

Glenn

I had thought about those as well, decided not to metion them due to cost. Something that should be considered when drilling engine mount holes is they need to be aligned from left to right as close to even as possible. Making a plate to simulate the engine and then placing the mounts in the rails might be a good way to insure proper hole placement

I use the Dremel right-angle adapter also but since I put it on, I haven't removed it. The bit that I use is shaped like a reverse tear-drop that makes the right sized holes for most of my mounts.

No

Laser cut before assembling frames. :)
Sounds like a business plug to me ;)
Not Really. Just a smart remark to an old problem. But it is nice to have all holes aligned beforehand. I still end up using the right angle adapter on my dremel more often then not. I actually use an engraving bit rather than a drill bit to prevent tearout. gives a nice clean hole to start with.

Question to you though HJ why have you not added you real name to your posts. Is this some personal protest?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Harbor Freight air angle die grinder with a cut down drill bit. Harbor Freight part # 32046 they only cost $10 when on sale. I also use a jig that Danny sells on the Dock to make sure it's perfect every time.

Back