DON'S NEW "TOP SECRET" PROJECT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

I'm doing a Thunderboat Reproductions Bud T-5 and have a couple of detail issues. How do you secure the roller latches on the inside of the cowl? As for the front of the cowl, the Bud does not appear to have the room to make a fix like you did. The front locating scheme on the boat doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob Heywood

Advance_United said:
Don,
I'm doing a Thunderboat Reproductions Bud T-5 and have a couple of detail issues. How do you secure the roller latches on the inside of the cowl? As for the front of the cowl, the Bud does not appear to have the room to make a fix like you did. The front locating scheme on the boat doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob Heywood

83872[/snapback]

Yeah, the T/B front cowl tab deal didn't give me the warm fuzzies either. If the cowl and/or boat flexs hard enough the cowl pops off in the front. As for the rear area I glassed in some 1/8" ply panels using 3/4 oz cloth. I have some 4-40 stainless countersunk allen head screws that will come thru from the outside to anchor the latches. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Advance_United said:
Thanks.
This series is really useful.

Bob

84028[/snapback]

My Bud T-4 build thread was a popular one too but the storage of pics was killing bandwidth. We really need to thank Tom again for the pic gallery. I'm glad you are getting useful info from this build as well. I hope to get more pics up by end of weekend as I plan on working on it more tomorrow. :)

Don Ferrette said:
Advance_United said:
Thanks.
This series is really useful.

Bob

84028[/snapback]

My Bud T-4 build thread was a popular one too but the storage of pics was killing bandwidth. We really need to thank Tom again for the pic gallery. I'm glad you are getting useful info from this build as well. I hope to get more pics up by end of weekend as I plan on working on it more tomorrow. :)

84223[/snapback]

Thank MikeP! he's the man.... i just setup the stuff.... without the server/connection it would all be pointless!

Russell Bear said:
Don, How's things progressing?  Love seeing the updates.
Thanks..........

90104[/snapback]

Hey there Russell & others-

Well thanks to the flu that became severe sinus infection coupled with advanced bronchitis the doc said stay out of the shop & other potentially "dusty" environments for 4 weeks. Well 4 weeks is up this weekend so I'll be back full steam ASAP & pics will follow!! :D

Don Ferrette said:
Russell Bear said:
Don, How's things progressing?   Love seeing the updates.
Thanks..........

90104[/snapback]

Hey there Russell & others-

Well thanks to the flu that became severe sinus infection coupled with advanced bronchitis the doc said stay out of the shop & other potentially "dusty" environments for 4 weeks. Well 4 weeks is up this weekend so I'll be back full steam ASAP & pics will follow!! :D

90186[/snapback]

I can relate. Just got over it myself :( :(

Don,

you were diffenetly smart enough to buy this hull brand new with all the changes you needed to make. Since Dick makes Yachts for a living why doesn't he update these outdated molds?

When I bought mine it was built by Dick to the point where all I would have to do is drill holds for the hardware and mount all of it, detail out the cockpit, build the radio box and add the stuffing tube. Little did I know almost everything would need to be changed. Roy Munoz has been knocking it out for me and the things he did were basically on the same scale as yours, the bad part is the boat was already painted. I should have gave Royy my digital camera so he could have created a photo shot liek you did.

When Dick did the motor mount for me I asked him to put in blind nuts, instead he put these huge bolts coming out the side walls that your supposed to slip the mount through and use bolts to tighten it, well what he didn't think through was where he put the EXTRA LARGE water outlet in the side...when you tried to put the motor mount in it smashes it. So we had to cut open the walls, rememebr he glassed it all in....shocking to see the tiny amount of packing popcorn floating around....BOAT WOULD SINK FOR SURE. The tanks were now reachable, guess what? One of the fuel lines was broken off! The 20oz tank he used was a soft and uses less as a three dollar bill. The pick ups in the tank were up in the middle of the tank, not laying on the bottom, the hopper tank didn't have brass inside, but the hard plastic crap Du Bro includes in the kit. Basically, the boat would have flamed out going into every turn. Better yet, with a broken line and no access to the tanks the boat would have been flooded w/nitro!

Oh the joy of 1/8 scale...LOL

Don,

you got a PM ;)

bsmtboy2 said:
Are you taking the Smoking Joes to Elmira,Ny or will Chesapeake,Va be her coming out party?
105940[/snapback]

I'm thinking Chesapeake or Centennial. B)

After chasing more pinholes than I had patience for I finally shot epoxy primer today-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=77

This is the 4th Caspari (Thunderboat Reproductions) hull I've done & was by far the worst in terms of flaws in the glasswork & the corrections that needed to be done. Maybe one of these days I'll pick an easy one........... naaah, that just wouldn't be me. ;)

Latest posts

Back