DON'S NEW "TOP SECRET" PROJECT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I will tease ya with a spy shot of current project...........

......anyone who knows me well will know what this boat will be. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Ferrette said:
You're making me laugh so hard my sides hurt!!!  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
72662[/snapback]

Thought you might get a laugh out of that one. Boat is looking good, U-10

"Smoking Joe's" is right I beleive. Has to be from Dick Caspari @ Thunderboat

Reproductions. Do I get an A+ on that one?

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

Yup, my all time favorite the U10 Smokin' Joe's. It is a Thunderboat hull but with signifant changes as the hull as sold is not correct. Big changes to cowling, scoop was too long & the rear of cowling went back too far. Also added carbon fiber inside as you can see in pics. I never did like how Dick does the cowl mounting up front so that got changed as well. I'm going to start a build up album in the photo gallery so people can follow along-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=77

Alot of folks liked the Bud build up thread but the pics links are dead from it. I really wanted to keep that boat but some rather unexpected cost overruns deemed it's sale unavoidable. Now that I have all winter to build the S/J I decided to start on it after it has sat on a shelf over a year. :rolleyes:

Added a couple more pics. The new picture gallery will be great to do the build up shots without killing off bandwith. Thanks Tom! :D

Don,

I have the Caspari Bud T-4 and looking at your pictures of the construction you have the same type of verticle fin attachmewnt method that seems to come with all of the Thunderboat Rep. hulls, the little bent pieces of nylon rod. I have had trouble keeping them in the hull on my T-4 from the pressure & speed that these boats get up to. Do you have any intentions of changing this type of set up on the verticles and if so what type of attachment are you going to use? I think on your T-4 you used a diferent type of attachment method, is this true?

I am currently in a rebuild phase of the T-4 and what to make some changes before I go back with the paint again. Hit the dock doing about 20 mph, aint very pretty but will be when she's finished.

Thanks,

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

Bill-

I'm looking into the same set up I had on the DPS T-4 for the wings since I have to move them anyway ( they are too far forward on the deck). I have had Caspari's boats before & did not have problem with wings coming off. I would use Prather radio box tape to secure them. B)

Don, i am gonna take the Jeronimo to Atlanta, you gonna have the Smokin Joe's ready by then? We can give the guy's down there a taste of how we do it in D12!!

bsmtboy2 said:
Don, i am gonna take the Jeronimo to Atlanta, you gonna have the Smokin Joe's ready by then? We can give the guy's down there a taste of how we do it  in D12!!
74144[/snapback]

I'm gonna try. :)

I'm in the same stage of one of my winter projects,,looks Good Don,,Can't wait

to see it finished. Nice colors on the "Smokin' Joe's" :)

Oh,,I have one more question over in "1/4 vs 3/16" :lol: :lol: :p

Don,

you got me $$hitting in my pants w/all the corrections your doing. Dick just sent me the 2001 Oh Boy! Oberto awhile ago and there's somethings I need to change. However, I had him paint and seal it all up inside. I'll have to pop open the side wall and put better floatation inside of it that's for sure. I'll probably be cutting out the motor mount bolts like you did. Is your motor mount a one sided rubber mount connected to a solid mount? My monitor sucks so it was hard to see it right.

Roy, hey you got the boat at your house....have at it! :lol: :lol:

Don,
you got me $$hitting in my pants w/all the corrections your doing.  Dick just sent me the 2001 Oh Boy! Oberto awhile ago and there's somethings I need to change.  However, I had him paint and seal it all up inside.  I'll have to pop open the side wall and put better floatation inside of it that's for sure.  I'll probably be cutting out the motor mount bolts like you did.  Is your motor mount a one sided rubber mount connected to a solid mount?  My monitor sucks so it was hard to see it right.

Roy, hey you got the boat at your house....have at it! :lol:   :lol:

78324[/snapback]

Rodney-

The custom mount is a pair of Speedmaster drop down engine rails with the typical rubber mounts that bolt to 90 degree aluminum angle stock that I drilled & cut. The tub has birch block that I angle cut & glassed in to set motor at proper tilt. I just sent you a couple close up shots of this set up. :blink:

Back