DON'S NEW "TOP SECRET" PROJECT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Don are you doing the Smoking Joe Select? The Smoking Joe had a bull nose on it...The Select was faried into the canard..?? It still a lot of work ..I have the Winston Eagel (91) from McIntire and it was a pain doing all the body work..Still haven't got my self to paint it yet..

Roy Munoz said:
Hey Don are you doing the Smoking Joe Select?  The Smoking Joe had a bull nose on it...The Select was faried into the canard..?? It still a lot of work ..I have the Winston Eagel (91) from McIntire and it was a pain doing all the body work..Still haven't got my self to paint it yet..
78517[/snapback]

Actually there has been a number of different versions of the '94-'95 boat. I'm doing the version which ran mid to late '94 (after the Gold Cup). I hope to start painting by end of January, still LOT'S to do. :blink:

Don Ferrette said:
Roy Munoz said:
Hey Don are you doing the Smoking Joe Select?  The Smoking Joe had a bull nose on it...The Select was faried into the canard..?? It still a lot of work ..I have the Winston Eagel (91) from McIntire and it was a pain doing all the body work..Still haven't got my self to paint it yet..
78517[/snapback]

Actually there has been a number of different versions of the '94-'95 boat. I'm doing the version which ran mid to late '94 (after the Gold Cup). I hope to start painting by end of January, still LOT'S to do. :blink:

78519[/snapback]

I guess now after seeing those pictures of how you mounted your engine mount ..we'll ( Roddney and I ) have to scrap the way Thunderboats Repo said to do it.. I'am still wondering what kink of fuel tanks he used in Roddneys boat,being every thing is seal up..I also don't like how he mounts the wings and such but now if we change it I'll mess up the paint job on the hull..I guess Roddney will have to live with it until he crashes it and we can make all the changes then...

Roy Munoz said:
I guess now after seeing those pictures of how you mounted your engine mount ..we'll ( Roddney and I ) have to scrap the way Thunderboats Repo said to do it.. I'am still wondering what kink of fuel tanks he used in Roddneys boat,being every thing is seal up..I also don't like how he mounts the wings and such but now if we change it I'll mess up the paint job on the hull..I guess Roddney will have to live with it until he crashes it and we can make all the changes then...
78587[/snapback]

Roy & Rodney- I would plan on cutting open the tub sides. For starters you need to ditch as much of the "factory floatation" as you can. Caspari uses packing peanuts & if the boat takes a hit that splits the seams those peanuts will come out & the water will roll in sending the boat to Davy Jones's locker!! While you have it open you can throw away the fuel tank. If Dick hasn't changed his ways it will be a small shampoo style bottle with a screw on cap & it'll be behind CG as well. Why on earth anyone would seal a tank of any kind into a hull where you can't service it is beyond me. Cut out a pocket like I did & seal it off from the rest of the boat & put a tank there. Also be warned that the tub sides will be kevlar so have a few of the heavy duty Dremel cut wheels available. On the side opposite the tank I cut a long 3 sided "door" that I peeled back & vacuumed all the peanuts out of. Then you can section up some block foam or pool noodles to put back in before you glass it back closed. You can change the wing mounting to the set up I used if you are very careful & tape off the areas to protect the paint. Look closely at the pics of mine & you will see that all you need to do is slot the deck & roll a piece of aluminum angle stock in & up against the deck underside. I know I'm making it sound easier than it is but it could be worse! :blink:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=77&page=2

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

thanks for the advice, yeah how'd you like to have your boat sink and see the peanuts floating on top of the water all day to remind you...LOL :lol: Man that would suck! :eek:

Roy is working on another Oh Boy! boat right now (the 2003) boat. He did the motor like you did. Man, I was cracking up about the shampoo bottle. I told Dick "it had better not be an alchol bottle like in my Ms. 7-Eleven you built.....man he started stutering and slurring his words SWEARING up and down this one would have an Octura or Sullivan tank! I guess I'll see sooon enough.

Are you using a 40 or 60 size ruddar??

I also don't like how he mounts the wings and such but now if we change it I'll mess up the paint job on the hull..I guess Roddney will have to live with it until he crashes it and we can make all the changes then...

78587[/snapback]

CRASH, CRASH....I never crash, but I've been run over by Bill Peck, Mike Mcknight and who was the guy w/the T-5 who decided he wanted to go from lane 1 to lane 5 and smacked my Ms. Weisfields at Manteca?? Man his boat got smashed pretty good huh? :lol:

Thank's for that added Info Don..I was worried about finding that inside the sealed areas of the boat..Roddney and I had talked about that last week.. Hey Roddney those guys never hit any boats..Just ask them..hahahhaahah..And those are our Scale chairmans.hahahhahah...Next time don't die out in the south 40 they need more room than that.hahahahhaah You have to put in on the beach so they won't follow you up there.....

Glad to help Roy. I spent some time in the shop yesterday workin' on the S/J. Got the wing verticals drilled, tapped & mounted. Finalized fit of cockpit liner & windshield opening (which was wrong as molded). I hope to start squirtin' paint by the end of the month. B)

Say Don you don't happen to have the paint cods for the Oberto ( 1904 ) do you?? ..I just finished doing the body work and building the small stuff ,and now it ready for paint..

Roy Munoz said:
Say Don you don't happen to have the paint cods for the Oberto ( 1904 )  do you?? ..I just finished doing the body work and building the small stuff ,and now it ready for paint..
79518[/snapback]

Nope, but I know who would.................. send a P/M to Al Waters B)

Advance_United said:
Don Ferrette said:
Are you using a 40 or 60 size ruddar??
78703[/snapback]

40 Speedmaster #103-40

78749[/snapback]

Don,

What is the benefit of the 40 size as opposed to the 60? I'm getting ready to place a hardware order.

Thanks.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

79780[/snapback]

Smaller rudder = less drag. I've never had any problems turning my scale boats with the Speedmaster 40 rudder. I use the rudder blade at stock length. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy Munoz said:
Say Don you don't happen to have the paint cods for the Oberto ( 1904 )  do you?? ..I just finished doing the body work and building the small stuff ,and now it ready for paint..
79518[/snapback]

Roy,

your ageing yourself, 1904!!! Was that the first boat you ever saw race or something?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Must be some great child hood memories..... :lol: :lol:

Roy,

okay, I get it.....I was thinking and thinking which boat you were building, then it dawned on me.......did you mean the 2004 paint code?? :lol: :lol:

It was originaly built by Stanly,Later sold to the Hudson Bay Co..Smart A#$ hahahahahahah..... Hey Roddneyhit the wrong key.hahahhaha....Built a motor mount for your slymie ops I mean salame boat..Hitting those wrong keys again ahahahah

Salami, Salami, Bologna......Roy, thanks for the mount. I'll call you. I can see if I can call the Oberto family to get the number to the Hydro garage and get the paint codes for you.

Latest posts

Back