Decrease in entries...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way that IMPBA or NAMBA can give new members a huge discount to encourage that there welcomed. And Have every race announce it at the drivers meeting to encourage new people to Join.

I think WE have to look at some type of focused NEW membership drive. Our numbers are down as an organization. I don't think too many classes is the the root cause of decline. Back in the early 2000's in our district (D4) I saw Hydros entries starting to drop, mostly B and D. I had 3 really good "turn key" D Hydros, and one B Hydro "out on loan" to other racers just to keep the classes competitive and hoped to keep these racers interested and involved. Funny thing is they all found other activities to fill their time, none of them are still in our organization. We cannot keep losing racers without getting them replaced. They had really good equipment, plenty of help and had alot of fun. They chose to do other things, NOT race other classes. We have alot of really smart businessmen in this forum, maybe we can get some ideas going on how to draw in new racers and KEEP them.
Yeah I totally agree with you Ron we need to promote the hobby as much as possible.... I always keep impba membership forms at the local hobby shop ... but without a good lake and no club really its hard to get any interest out of people... I would love to hear other suggestions on how to promote this awesome hobby!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did shoot a tad from the hip on my post..

The point being.. there aint going to be ANY big races until there are LOTS of little races. The club level is where the growth is at.

We also have to accept the fact that the "letter classes" will NEVER make it easy for new racers. I like the system but the truth is its VERY confusing for new people.

Make it 20 45 and 60... Sure somebody might bring a 46 or 61 but its far and few between and it still somewhat makes sense.

Make it 2s, 4S and 4S spec...

We have to make this easer for the new person.. just because we have always done it that way its still best to ask the question.. IS THIS BEST?

Grim

Just my opinion strong local clubs are the key and as I have said before target the real "future" demographic which is 40 plus year olds who still like to compete, remember what it was like to build a Revell model car and enjoyed it, have some disposable cash, or know how to use a rotary phone. Most of these guys dont have the same distractions as our younger gen. Our club fits that profile with all "new" boaters that run gas, they have come from the car and plane ranks, and can all compete at a very high level. We enjoy each others company every Sunday over Boats, B.S. and Bar-B-Que. We pull a new member or 2 every year and dont lose em. Tony J

Just my opinion strong local clubs are the key and as I have said before target the real "future" demographic which is 40 plus year olds who still like to compete, remember what it was like to build a Revell model car and enjoyed it, have some disposable cash, or know how to use a rotary phone. Most of these guys dont have the same distractions as our younger gen. Our club fits that profile with all "new" boaters that run gas, they have come from the car and plane ranks, and can all compete at a very high level. We enjoy each others company every Sunday over Boats, B.S. and Bar-B-Que. We pull a new member or 2 every year and dont lose em. Tony J
that's great Tony!

We still have our fair share of die hard nitro guys in Fl, but the fact of the matter is - gas is an easy way for a new boater to get started without the growing pains of nitro- Looking at that from a new boaters point of view, It doesnt look so bad. In the same breath it surely isnt the challenge that those that choose to go the nitro route deal with- IMHO thats is part of the hobby. From an entry stand point (namba in my area) the brunt of gas classes are huge compared to the nitro classes esp at major races like the Winter Nats. Doing things like Jeremy Edge and the boys down south of us are doing and some of the things that the Tunnel guys are playing around with at specialty races are a step in the right direction. As said previously, any more its not the number of racers- but the quality of people you choose to surround yourself with for me. I also believe that the number of races with Nationals-World Championship-Nats this- nats that - dilutes from the quality and prestige of those races. There are a few on my racing bucket list that I will one day get too- Hobart being VERY high on that list for simply the quality racers you face- the way the race is run and the entire towns involvement- amazing really. If both orgs could find a balance in rules and classes- a standard outline for all-it would be a great start for new boaters. We dont need any more classes added or removed for sure- and Grims statement about uniform engine class names is a good start. But in reality can it be done without the infighting and crap that can go into ?? That certainly cant be good either- I for one will be the first to admit - I have done a poor job of doing that-and Im working on it. Would you rather be an ambassador and promote what we do to try and grow both Orgs - or stand at your tent at your home lake and watch. I can tell you the one that will sustain us longer- but you know.

I am 26 and have been racing gas on and off for the last 10 years or so. Seems like while I was growing up with my peers I was the one who was mechanically inclined and always wanted to do something different, rather than watch tv of go on the computer (well I do that too). But with all this new technology I feel people my age don't want to think outside the box to do something fun. And even younger kids just want to play video games rather than actually physically build something.

No offense to the older guys who race, but once you guys are gone I am fearing what will happen to this sport.

Nothing is or will be "Like the Old Days " Get over it . Gas classes do offer serious competition and while some guys use the 'Plug and play " description for these classes the reality is if you don't have a tight rig you will get your ass handed to you . Young gas racers are quick studies and with capable engine builders and prop men out there they will be super competitive .

With the new nitro engines available there is serious competition also but like always you have to get super technical to compete . In my opinion the entry level nitro engine available today is the CMB VAC 91 .Best engine to come along in a long time . Grab your sack and build a .91 boat . They are just as easy to drive as a .45 boat or a .21 boat and easier to tune .

Development of Nitro or Gas Racers is no different to promoting a business . You can never slack off and think "we have enough business ( Racers ) "

Run only open classes. The smoke will clear and racers will build and race boat that are competitive or get left behind. Allow gas, nitro and electric run together, after a season you will see some conformity of the boats that run in each class.

Don't need to do anything but offer the open class. All the low boat count classes can still run and maybe after a season of running like that racers will build boats for the more popular classes.

Nothing is or will be "Like the Old Days " Get over it . Gas classes do offer serious competition and while some guys use the 'Plug and play " description for these classes the reality is if you don't have a tight rig you will get your ass handed to you . Young gas racers are quick studies and with capable engine builders and prop men out there they will be super competitive .

With the new nitro engines available there is serious competition also but like always you have to get super technical to compete . In my opinion the entry level nitro engine available today is the CMB VAC 91 .Best engine to come along in a long time . Grab your sack and build a .91 boat . They are just as easy to drive as a .45 boat or a .21 boat and easier to tune .

Development of Nitro or Gas Racers is no different to promoting a business . You can never slack off and think "we have enough business ( Racers ) "
WOW...I agree. Very well said

Hummmm. 1025 hits. ??? Looks like there is something to this RON pushed a good botton.

I knew Ron Van Wagnen as a great builder,great racer. And above all he worked very hard at the races I attended. He is a great family man him and Shirler were always involved running the retrieve boat! CDing keeping score.. I hope when I become inactive

My opion has some value!!!!

Bob Morton

default_laugh.png
:lol:
default_laugh.png
:lol:
default_laugh.png
........Ron,....Way to wake up the forum.....been very quiet lately.....

In case you hadn't noticed.....RVW's Seagull Engineering has just visited IW.....he just flew in ,crapped all over the forum and flew back out......
default_laugh.png

RVW has just launched a "SNEAK ATTACK" on the IW forum.....Pearl Harbor all over again.......who says history doesn't repeat its self.....

After the loss of Elvis and getting ramped up on FOX News.....we inactive Senior boaters just need something to ***** about to feel wanted...
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png

52 boaters show up to a race that offers 4 classes, 13 entries possible in each class.

52 boaters show up to a race that offers 16 classes, 3.25 entries in each class.

After spending all day or weekend on the bank and very little time on the water, do you really think the second 52 racers will attend again ?

Of course this is just hypothetical thinking designed to spur conversation so keep calm Don.
default_laugh.png

Ron days have changed since you were Director here in Florida we average 180 boats a race days were we averaged over 200 economy is bad

I am not challenging the fact that things have changed.... what if all 52 racers entered all four classes ?

Wow, a 200 boat weekend in a bad economy ?
default_rolleyes.gif

i think ron z and mike z are both correct. i don't blame cost.. look if anyone wants something bad enough. or wants to do it bad enough they will. it comes down to change.. people get bored.. go to the same races.. same people ect. so they find other things to do.

part of my issue is logistics ( testing purposes ) i am super competitive.. and i want to run up front and to do that you have to test. i think one key issue with the hobby in general is lakes. ( this is my issue ) there are very few places to go. and i was driving 2 1/2 hrs one way ever weekend to test.. it gets very old very quick.. and society today don't look at hobbies like they did. kids don't do the same things.. even parents have changed.. in general most people are not mechanically oriented and that is huge specially in a hobby where 80 percent of the stuff we run is built by hand. it has and always will be a small hobby. it is just going to come down to we either except it and continue. or leave.

I will be back. as i miss the guys. and i want to beat up on stu and ron z again LOL!!

chris wood

( all washed up )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back