Decisions,Decisions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger, Andy has Many Many Fine products. But Will the current CMB engines fit into his SGX Boat kits? Andy pulled his rear boom tubes back a few years ago to pak more fuel into the boats in the era of the inverted carb engines (MAC). What is going on currently to get CMB style engine into the SGX boats. Or will it happen? A boat kit that will accomadate Only an Inverted carb engine today.(because of the rear boom tube location) Don`t sound like the way to go.... Will a new SG or the SGX accept a Current Horizontal Carb Engine??

But Will the current CMB engines fit into his SGX Boat kits?
Well when I first made the switch to the SGX boats I was running CMB's. My first SGX twin had CMB 80 Greenheads with OS9b carbs in it. My first F class SGX had a CMB90 in it. My current twin now has a pair of big block CMB90's in it (until the A/A 91's show). During my quest for my 1st 100 mph patch we tested with CMB, Picco, K & ultimately when 108mph with a MAC. The 60/80 Roadrunner still requires a notch in the rear boom tube to clear the carb barrel on Picco's & CMB drum motors with horizontal carbs right? In WW's case the CMB 1.0 with the disc induction & high mounted carb will have no clearance issues in either boat. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the Current SGX 45-67-80 kit Don. Many believe that only a Mac will fit due to clearence issues. Is this true?

Don

Not Bullxxxt, fact. It represents CMDI. You were a part of that motor THING. You, youself

" BUD" suffered with that deal. And it IS the bases for the boat.

A few years ago. Jason & Steven Pas had a twin with CMB 90's in it. BALLISTIC!!!!

Them everything changed. And you are correct. There was a time that you could not get RR parts or kits. Each as gone through their period of business ups and downs.

But as you put in. That is just plan wrong for Some one to say that a website is were the Speed is at. And the difference between one boat and the other.

The post is called "decisions" What boat to buy? Information about the boat has yet to be

exchanged. And the first shot over the bow,fired by?

So, each boat does the same thing differently. And you make your choice based on how best YOU can cope with those differences. I.E " why is there a difference in the design. No rear, to side rear. that type of thing."

Well Facts are that CMB is the Only CURRENT importer in North America on Racing Nitro marine engines today. Many current & future boaters are purchasing the engines looking for Boat Kits to install them into & Race...... It dont matter who is selling the engines or where they are coming from.... We all just want to race.......

What about the Current SGX 45-67-80 kit Don. Many believe that only a Mac will fit due to clearence issues. Is this true?
I had a CMB90 in my 80SGX before I got my first MAC84. As for the others I have only run a MAC in my 45SGX & Finch only a MAC in his 67SGX. On the 45SGX isn't this a moot point as the new CMB45 hydro motor has the MAC style drum housing now?? I'd bet you could fit a drum CMB or Picco in a 67 or 80SGX. On those 2 it's a good question for Andy .... BUT again, getting DIRECTLY to WW's specific application, his CMB 1.0 WILL fit in either boat!! Both boats are fast, handle well & can be trusted to do what you want them to on a race course. ;)

the jaguar 2 is still available from Tidewater. give them a call.

and maybe i can shoe-horn my COX TEE DEE .051 into the 80SGX :)

se ya next weekend Don.

let me know about the 90's before they are all gone.

carl

Gotta love that website and You gotta love the CMDI line of products and services. People don't realize it but part of a branding experience is customer service... and that experience last all the way until the customer comes back again.
If you have to worry about being in the "In-crowd" or the manufacturers production quantity is so low that the product should be considered precious stones rather than race boats that is really not a choice. Sure sometimes the waiting list is quite long but that would be because a hundred boats or more are being ordered from around the world not just 10. (They must be good to have such a high demand) John Brown's craftmenship is hard to duplicate (it takes months to train someone and that's only if they have the patience to learn) so he is hard at work knocking them out one by one every day... And then there are things like a website that tell you best pipe, prop combination as well as hull and engine upgrades.

This lets you know that the manufacturer is creating a fair playing field for all not just a few choice friends. As a matter of fact the people that have the worst times with the product are the people that choose not to take advantage of all the information CMDi provides them. I didn't even know about the stronger wood options. (Hey Andy, I guess we should get that on the website too) That really makes it a no brainer. Where else is anyone taking the diverse needs of the customer into account and satisfying those diverse needs with practical options. I understand that RoadRunners are pretty attainable but what do you do when that time comes and you want to go faster. Can you pick up speed tips on their informative website? No... Do you get on the phone and call customer service? The Answer is still No...

So the answer should be pretty clear. When it comes to competition riggers CMDi's motto should be "We make going fast... Easy"

Ok,,,here's the deal the way "I" see it.....there is alot to be said about the way a business is run, and yes for a lot of builders this "IS" a business...and I find in business you get back what you give. I happen to be in a business that relies 100% on our ability to service our customers at the drop of a hat and produce results that are tangable and reliable or a lot of money and product are lost...To that end, I look for associates that also cater to me when I look for a product I am in the market for. I "want" the supplier to have easy access to his product,I "want" a clear and precise website to review product information on. I don't "want" to be in a clique or have to be with the "IN" crowd to get proper service or a question answered or have to be on a waiting list and then get some product that has been rushed out the door.

A lot of people may not agree with me but I feel my time and money is spent more wisely by paying for a professional service than by "doing it myself"...case in point ,,I have built many a rigger and have allway's

wished I could have done a better job..not that I lack the skills or shop to do it ,,for me first- it's a time element thing,,and secondly why should I spend a bunch of money on building and painting equipment that I may never use again. Believe me,, one only has to look in my shop to see all of the equipment I have pruchased over the years that sits idle. That money could have been spent elsewhere..

So for me personally I have decided to go with CMDI and turn over the entire build to the pro's.

I'm sure Andy and his team will produce a product I will be proud to own.

Thanks to all that responded here, and to all of the other builders,don't take any of this as a sign of an inferior product or design, but only a personal choice that fits my needs. From what I've read here , most builders make great products and it all boils down to what works best for each one of us.

Thanks,

WW

I'm glad to know you can still get the Jaguar. I bought Mike Byers brand new X-Hydro Jaguar rtr w/a CMB 1.0 cubic motor, it was awesome. I'd go buy a Jaguar, then you won't have a boat like every body else's!

I'm glad to know you can still get the Jaguar. I bought Mike Byers brand new X-Hydro Jaguar rtr w/a CMB 1.0 cubic motor, it was awesome. I'd go buy a Jaguar, then you won't have a boat like every body else's!
We have a cople of 100 Jags in our club. Bobby builds a nice boat. They seem to hold up to serious abuse very well. One guy has one 4 years old and it still looks great ( 1 new sponson set from a direct cross hit).

WW .. & Andy does not issue the Monkey suit with his Kit.... Just a Nice kit for exchange of a few $$. Man..... Nice & Simple. I personally run R/R. But if there is Not an engine delima with your engine application & Boat kit the SGX is a Good Choice too..

WW .. & Andy does not issue the Monkey suit with his Kit.... Just a Nice kit for exchange of a few $$. Man..... Nice & Simple. I personally run R/R. But if there is Not an engine delima with your engine application & Boat kit the SGX is a Good Choice too..

I must be slow or dense,,,,what's up with the monkey suit???

Strength,stability,ease of setup are the main points I am focusing on.

Sounds like you are talking about a Cajun Bullet. And it won't break the bank!

if you every want a 60-80 hull, i build one that is very competitive to the roadrunner, sgx's,cajun bullet's and what every else is out there too. jeff baham

HORNET hydros.

I must be slow or dense,,,,what's up with the monkey suit???
Forget the Monkey Suit stuff. It's BS.

Thanks for your order WW!

I hope you enjoyed talking with Donna and John on the phone today. ....real people! :)

Looking forward to seeing you at the races again.

Good boating,

Andy

Roger

What could you say to me after reading all of that, that would convince me to buy that boat.

Road Runner just builds BOATS....
Ha! Ha!... No you didn't!!!

Little do you realize you just pitched me a slow lob and I'm swinging like Barry Bonds...

Hmmmm....

What can I say...

Well How about this...

Fastest Recorded Time in NAMBA for 6 Lap 1 Mile Heat Race by a 60 Road Runner

1:06

Fastest Recorded Time in NAMBA for 6 Lap 1 Mile Heat Race by a 60 Eagle SGX

1:01

Fastest Recorded Time in NAMBA for 6 Lap 1 Mile Heat Race of all time...

59 seconds and some change.

.90 Eagle SG

It's going... it's going... and it's gone!!!

Roger

The additioanl need for speed is NOT found on a WEBSITE...........WE ALL KNOW THAT!!!!

YOU & ANDY. THAT IS WEAK!! :p :p :p

Give yourself a big pat on the back for doing the CMDI website. Great.
Oh Yah... A couple of other things...

As far as the website goes... I have to give credit where credit is due... so if their were to be any patting on the back I would be patting Jeff Stubbers on the back. He is the one that maintains the website.

Now your statement about getting more speed from a website...

Just walk with me for a bit

Let's just say I am the average Joe... a quiet guy... keep to myself for the most part... but enjoy the hobby kinda like my dad.

Let's just say a buy a Road Runner. I make a call and I get the boat within a couple of weeks . I set the boat up the way the instructions say... and I go out and race. Despite the fact of getting used to a new rig I do I fairly well... quite well as a matter of fact. So now I'm comfortable with the boat and I start to look for more speed. I couldn't go to Ralph in person because I don't have the luxury of living in the same race district with him. So... I check out the other boats like mine (if there is any) and see what they are running with pipes and props. And even though I don't like to impose I still ask a few guys... I even go online to see what I can find on popular message boards... but just like everything else I get a different answer for every person I ask. So I go to my local pond and I test out a few things from what I was told. I make some changes and the boat is a lot faster. So I go home and put my boat a way cut the grass and my other "Honey-Dos". I show up to the next race excited about the extra speed that I put into the boat. I go out to my first heat and the boat launches like it stole something... I mill around and the water starts to get choppy. And then I see the boat starts to hop in the chop because the prop that the local guys told me to use only works well in smooth water. It also makes the boat dart in the turns. So now I took a perfectly good boat and messed it all up for heat racing. I get home on Sunday night frustrated and wanting some answers. I would like to call the Ralph but not sure I will get through because I know he builds boats on the side of his full time job and not sure I will be available when they call back because I too am at work. So I go online looking for information but don't find much there.

This is what I mean...

It's really the difference between a full time business and a part time business. I am not trying to knock Ralph or any other boat builders and I am sure they do their best to provide the best service that they can with the time that they have to give... but it's just as simple as comparing one store that is open all business hours to one that is only open nights and weekends. Which one would you shop at... There really is no comparison. Believe me... I went from a serious full time business to servicing accounts on nights and weekends and the service that I am able to provide compared to what I did before is sometimes embarrassing.

Back