Cube'n Outboard - CMB 1.00 outboard project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradSpencer

Hi guys,

Sharing a couple of pics and details of a project I have been working on intermittently over the last couple of years.

As the race season is winding up here for this season, I have had a chance to put some more time into this project.

Details:

Hull : 42" Breakthrough Tunnel Hull. Wood over foam by David Moyle. The design and workman ship is second to none. A great mate who happens to turn out some awesome hulls;)

http://www.breakthroughcad.com.au/default.aspx

Cowl: Modified HTB360 cowl. Thankyou to Mark Hopper for allowing me to use one of his cowls. Length of cowl has been extended about 4".

Paint: By Andrew Kennedy of Grafx inc. Went into Andrew's work shop expecting to have a single colour paint job done. Came out with an airbrushed boat themed on the USAF Stealth Bomber.

http://www.grafx-inc.com/

Engine:

CMB 1.00 EVO 2. Standard- for now

Pipe: one off, custom made SPP wrap pipe.

Lower: MHZ Gear drive

All machined work done by Ken at Retallick engineering. Many hours spent and with great attention to detail in adapting the CMB powerhead to the MHZ lower, and making the engine mount. I gave Ken the engine and lower, and said "make me an outboard". Top notch work.

http://www.retallickeng.com.au/

I will try and get some video from today onto Youtube of its test run

IMG_0669.JPG.

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shane,

Only on the 3rd tank of fuel through it. It's running really well.

Got a fair bit of dialing in to do on the setup, tune and suitable prop. But Its showing great potential.

Can't wait to prop it up and really stretch its legs;)

Will get the video from today sorted.

You would need to speak with Dave about hull availability. I know he does not have alot of time on his hands now days with a young family.

OK, I have my own youtube account now.... I think it should work.

As the story normally goes, heaps rich, small X460 prop to get some time on it.

For this run I raised the engine too much, the run before it was very stable, no bounce.

I've still got alot of work ahead, but this thing is gunna be pretty stout;)

Great work Brad, good to see it finally get on the water.

When is the 7.5cc version going to get wet??

Thanks for the complements guys, really looking forward to developing it now it is on the water.

Looking real good , did you have close ups of the motor and lower?
I havn't got any close ups on hand, but I will see if I can find some photos of the engine without the pipe. The pipe makes it hard to see Ken's nice work.

Great work Brad, good to see it finally get on the water.

When is the 7.5cc version going to get wet??
Hi Kesso, The 7.5cc Breakthrough has been wet a couple of times. Never had a tunnel run so high and dry, yet still stable.

Will make for a great SAW outfit;)

First rate build all tha way.......

Well Done !

Gene

Geeeez Man, Luv those flames ;)

Brad,

Wow, that's looking fantastic. It's a credit to you that this has all come together, I know it's been a long time in the planning and making. I'm glad you are now getting to enjoy setting up and driving it. I can imagine it's a white knuckle ride!

Keep up the good work and keep us all posted with your progress!

Dave

p.s. the whine of those lower unit gears combined with the cube exhaust note sounds awesome!

Hey Brad

Looking good, mate! Nice job all around. Great paint job.

I just noticed the pipe design in the pictures... Very, very cool. We need to get Dave producing those hulls!

Cheers

Short vid from yesterday.

Running good, still some setup work so I can give it WOT.

A bigger cav plate will help alot.

Only got a couple of short runs in as the the silicon coupler kept blowing off. I think this may related to the muffler I made being to restrictive.

Um yeah,, thats a beast:) I want to see you give it more then half throtle when you get her sorted out!!!! Nice build!

Yeah, it could probably handle WOT, but that lake is about 2 1/2 feet deep which is great if you need to walk out and get your boat, not so good if your boat takes a dive in LOL. Driving it very cautiously............

Slowly progressing with it, still learing what it likes.

Back