56" Champ O/B Tunnel Hull and Outboard...Coming soon

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
I figure its time to promote a little project I am working on with a friend down in Louisiana. We recently purchased all the molds for the hull, outboard cowling and casting molds for the lower unit.

I am handling the layup of the hull and outboard cowling, and he will be dealing with the lower unit/ gear drive assembly. I will be working on the first layup in the next week or so for the hull.

I just finished the mold for the lower outboard cowling pan yesterday and laid up the first upper cowl last week. The molds for everything are excellent. Some of the nicest I have seen.

Here are some pictures of the master plug for the deck/ hatch and one of the outboard cowls.

This is more of a fun run, realistic hull than a racer. It is what it is, but it really is a neat boat. If anyone has any questions or interest, shoot me a PM and we can discuss some timelines and costs on the hull. I can redirect you to John who is handling the outboard. I do plan to work on a static model of the outboard very soon as well. Who would not want a 16" tall Merc Champ motor for their office??? We are discussing getting this under the AMPS- International Hobbies licensing umbrella so the outboard can be safely sold as a Merc Champ motor. The current owner of that licensing is a friend of mine and has already verbally agreed, but he wants to get us notarized paperwork so we are 100% safe! Should be pretty cool. Anyways, here are some pics. Mike

20140330_171641_zps69424715.jpg

20140330_171715_zps3612cea4.jpg

20140330_171729_zps7dcf8059.jpg

20140330_172437_zps312dc8b3.jpg

20140330_170945_LLS_zpsa1f9d8d2.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsfb439e27.jpg

Mike

Very nice. Great project. Is this the original AMPS hull? I will watch this project with interest.

Rick

Hey Rick, how ya been man? You finish the 173 gas extreme yet??? I can't wait to see it!

Actually, this was a Performance International/ Outboard Innovations hull. Apparently, from the mass amounts of people that called me after I had mentioned buying this on facebook, that the original owner was a thief and took a lot of peoples money. These molds and outboard disappeared somewhere around 2005 and just reappeared on ebay, which is how we found it. (the auction is still on ebay, but the guy jacked the price way up and he is suppose to get us a list of potential buyers soon..who knows if we will see it!). Myself and my friend John have ZERO affiliation with that guy or his company name.

With that being said, there was an AMPS gas tunnel, 53" in length, and they had a gas outboard lower unit as well, with a merc cowling. It was never really released publicly...only like 10 were made if I remember right. My friend that owns the AMPS licensing, molds/ plugs has already discussed with me that he would like to release that hull since it was never released in the past, probably with my help and probably selling it through ML Boatworks website and his AMPS website....with the original AMPS name.

There was also an AMPS flex cable driven .21 size lower unit sold in the UK that he has the molds for...that may be something we work on too. He is busier than me, so it may be some time down the road. Either way, I am definitely interested in working with him on that project too as I have become a huge AMPS fan recently.

Talk soon, Mike

Mike the 173 is coming along. been busy the last 3 -4 weekends but should get back at it this weekend.

Rick

Thanks Todd, I don't take any of the credit for designing this thing. The guy that made it was pretty talented. I just hope to get some built as its too cool not to at least try! Mike

I am interested in one of these, I contacted the original owner about these years and years ago but they never came through with anything. I hope it all works out for you I would love to see one actually running.

I remember the tunnel that Performance Iinternational years ago advertised in rcboat modeler ,they had a lot of other hulls too even a 96" fountain ,,

That black mercury tunnel looks to have a mhz leg ,,,it is a great looking model...

I would consider getting one shipped to Australia be a great project..

David

I will keep you guys updated in this thread. As soon as the first hull comes out of the mold I will post the pics here. Thanks for the interest!

David, it is the same lower that is on my workbench. The size of this lower is huge compared to anything else on the market. 16" tall from skeg to top of the cowling!

Talk soon, Mike

I am looking forward to seeing this one happen. I think many have lost sight if just enjoying rc boating with all the racing. Fun just to build and run something you enjoy!

Its a really nice looking hull..Its big tho. That will probably be the biggest thing holding it back from the average rc boater. I am getting a lot of interest in the boat and outboard. Some want it for display, others want to run it. I kinda figured there would be a good mix.

OK, replies sent to the PM's I received. Sorry for the delay. I was in the shop all weekend catching up, and getting some cowling inventory done. I actually have inventory..that is a first! I laid up the first top deck from the tunnel molds. I also laid up the first lower outboard cowling pan from the plug and mold I had just made last week. Both items turned out good. I learned how I wanted to do all the glass work, and will make templates of each piece as I lay up the next deck. I hope to lay up a bottom and hatch maybe later in the week. I still have to prep those molds tho. Enjoy, MIke

20140413_162853_zpsd6d7851d.jpg

20140413_162953_zps9c37a1b5.jpg

20140413_163237_zpsb467a40a.jpg

20140413_170738_zps472913ca.jpg

Just a quick update. I had a PM from a member asking about this boat, so I figured I better make an update. I still have the hull molds and outboard cowl molds. The guy that has the outboard lower unit has made no progress on producing those. Without that, I don't know how much interest this is in the hull alone? There is plenty of room inside to do an inboard setup with dummy outboard for those that may want to go that route. I have been busy with customers cowlings layups, and my AMPS boat/ outboard cowling molds/layups lately, and had put this on the shelf hoping the guy with the outboard would catch up and get outboards made. I had thought about ditching the hull molds, but maybe I should keep them if the interest is still there even without the outboard lower unit?. Shipping and boxing is the biggest issue due to size...and I am not sure what to do about that just yet. Any feedback is welcomed! Thanks, Mike

Can you send me your phone number. I am interested in a new 1/4 scale tunnel along with a gas outboard. I presently run many tunnels now including a 1/4 scale nitro outboard tunnel. I was talking to the person that his family owns the amps company, It would be nice if someone like yourself is making the hulls. Please send me your number so we can talk about more details. thanks.You can email me your number at: [email protected]

Back