Confused on build !!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_nemesis

I bought a ske vee 10 mono for my first mono build, thought it would be relatively easy, and it was until i got the frame built and the bottoms glued on - took one look @ the sides and can't figure out for the life of me how they go on. The instructions suck and I've never built a kit before but the sides seem way tooooooo big/tall and I can't figure out how they go on...any help would be greatly appreciated - otherwise I fear this may end up being firewood !!!!! :ph34r: They need some step by step pics and way better building plans.

Be nice if the instructions kindly hinted that out.....i was like, **** - what did I screw up :lol: Seems like it'll be a swift lil' boat if I ever get it built right !!!

Read instuctions closly.But Anthony is right the sides will need to be trimed best I remeber.I built on of these back in the late 70's

Roy

The instructions suck and .......... They need some step by step pics and way better building plans.
I've noticed the same thing about other old Dumas boat kits. They were designed back in the sixties when it was usually grandpa (with 50+ years of modeling experience) that built these things. He could read between the worthless instruction lines and figure these things out.

Anyway, I've been slooooooooooooowly working on a Dumas SK Daddle (36") for .40 size engines. This boat is similar to what you are building, just bigger. I remember that the sides were one of the most, if not the most perplexing part of the build. They didn't seem like they were cut to the right shape and, for some odd reason, Dumas cut each side into two separate pieces :unsure: . Net result-more confusion and building agony. I guess this was to separate the young grandpas from the older grandpas :rolleyes: . Come to think of it, I'm going to be a younger grandpa :D .............at age 43 :eek: :eek: :eek: but I digress!

As has been mentioned, you'll need to trim a whole lot off of the sides. I trimmed off a ton. They could've saved a lot of trees by making the sides closer to final shape and size. I spent a lot of time looking at my frame and holding the side pieces against it so that I could epoxy the pieces for the best fit. A lot of time!

I've never built a kit before.....
You are using a slow set epoxy glue, right? I would not suggest anything like 5 min epoxy. It makes for a quick build but just doesn't have the working time to wick into the wood fibers for a good, strong, long lasting, vibration resistant bond! I learned this the hard way building boats when I was much younger!

The instructions suck and .......... They need some step by step pics and way better building plans.
I've noticed the same thing about other old Dumas boat kits. They were designed back in the sixties when it was usually grandpa (with 50+ years of modeling experience) that built these things. He could read between the worthless instruction lines and figure these things out.

Anyway, I've been slooooooooooooowly working on a Dumas SK Daddle (36") for .40 size engines. This boat is similar to what you are building, just bigger. I remember that the sides were one of the most, if not the most perplexing part of the build. They didn't seem like they were cut to the right shape and, for some odd reason, Dumas cut each side into two separate pieces :unsure: . Net result-more confusion and building agony. I guess this was to separate the young grandpas from the older grandpas :rolleyes: . Come to think of it, I'm going to be a younger grandpa :D .............at age 43 :eek: :eek: :eek: but I digress!

As has been mentioned, you'll need to trim a whole lot off of the sides. I trimmed off a ton. They could've saved a lot of trees by making the sides closer to final shape and size. I spent a lot of time looking at my frame and holding the side pieces against it so that I could epoxy the pieces for the best fit. A lot of time!

I've never built a kit before.....
You are using a slow set epoxy glue, right? I would not suggest anything like 5 min epoxy. It makes for a quick build but just doesn't have the working time to wick into the wood fibers for a good, strong, long lasting, vibration resistant bond! I learned this the hard way building boats when I was much younger!
I've been thinking of building that same kit (SK Daddle-36") this winter! Do You have any pictures? :blink: Later!! B)

initially I used 5 min. epoxy and was planning on going back over the entire frame before I close the hull up w/ 30 min and make sure everything is solid. I'm sticking a .15 trinity in this thing so I don't think the extra glue weight will make much difference - are the sides really the only thing you had to trim off - or did you ever have to trim any of the decking? Appreciate the feedback ;)

You'll probably have to trim the decking too. If they cut those parts just right expansion and contracion from humidity and stuff would make them too small half the time.

Can't wait to race you with my WT12!!!!

initially I used 5 min. epoxy and was planning on going back over the entire frame before I close the hull up w/ 30 min and make sure everything is solid. I'm sticking a .15 trinity in this thing so I don't think the extra glue weight will make much difference - are the sides really the only thing you had to trim off - or did you ever have to trim any of the decking? Appreciate the feedback ;)

No kidding, I can't wait to get all three boats wet and see if I finally have a boat to beat you ;) I'm very curious to see how that tunnel is going to handle - someone else just sold that same boat w/ same engine on ebay for 400 + so if it works well I might sell it and get me an Eagle SG !!! :p

Hi Nitro , i too have had to deal with Dumas type average instructions ,as the others have found they often need a LOT of trimming , in the build up i have often use a cyno like ZAP or similar to tack things in place , and once i am happy go and fillet the joints with a slow set thick filleting epoxy , ive never has a joint let go!!

hope it helps

posted by Lar'Dog,

I've been thinking of building that same kit (SK Daddle-36") this winter! Do You have any pictures? Later!!
You'll see all the pictures in the link to Jim's RC Boat Dock that desulfator posted. It's got pictures from as recently as the last month of my build. I haven't touched my boat in 3 weeks, though :( .

I don't know where you are planning to get your SK Daddle but it is pretty hard to beat getting it straight from Dumas. Try this: http://www.dumasproducts.com/cgi-bin/dumas...oduct/View/1401

48 bucks for the kit and $6 for shipping! Not $26 shipping like some ebay seller would be asking :rolleyes: ! I bought 3 boats (Miller American 1/8 scale, 45" Star sailboat and 36" Sk Daddle) at once from Dumas several years ago and the total shipping charge was 6 bucks ;) !

posted by Lar'Dog,

I've been thinking of building that same kit (SK Daddle-36") this winter! Do You have any pictures? Later!!
You'll see all the pictures in the link to Jim's RC Boat Dock that desulfator posted. It's got pictures from as recently as the last month of my build. I haven't touched my boat in 3 weeks, though :( .

I don't know where you are planning to get your SK Daddle but it is pretty hard to beat getting it straight from Dumas. Try this: http://www.dumasproducts.com/cgi-bin/dumas...oduct/View/1401

48 bucks for the kit and $6 for shipping! Not $26 shipping like some ebay seller would be asking :rolleyes: ! I bought 3 boats (Miller American 1/8 scale, 45" Star sailboat and 36" Sk Daddle) at once from Dumas several years ago and the total shipping charge was 6 bucks ;) !
Danny,I was planning on getting mine from Dummas! Checked out Your pictures on the dock,Nice job! I had a "Short Stuff" when I was a kid,but never finished it. Have You gotten any further on Your SK ? If so,please post picts,or e-mail Me ! Later!! B) ;)

Latest posts

Back