CMDI Update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBrown

On Jun 7, 2006 I signed a P.O. for new machinary to build hardware, engine parts and even barstock props.

To make a long and painful story short, I signed the final acceptence papers on June 11, 2007.

So, with that said we are finally getting some new parts made.

This week we have completed a run of rudder assemblies and blades.

We have a broader range of blades available. 0.9" X 4.4", 1.0" X 4.4", 1.0" X 5.1", 1.1" X 5.1", 1.1 X 5.6",

and 1.2" X 6.0".

Our blades are made from 7075 -T6 which has 90% greater yield (bending) strength then the 6061-T6 commonly used by other hardware manufactures. This allows us to make thinner blades.

7075-T6 is triple the cost of 6061 and is much tougher to machine resulting in a higher cost part, but the performance improvement well justifies the extra cost.

Our pivot and transom bracket is also lighter due to the use of stronger material.

Replacement MAC 21 rods and P/L assemblies should be finished by the end of June. The new pistons are from 30% silicon barstock. The con-rods also feature a new design.

I took some pics today and will get them posted at cmdracing.com in a few days.

For those of you who have waited long and patiently, I thank you.

For those who have been waiting long for engine repairs or other work, I will soon catch up with the back log.

Again, thank you for your patience.

More to come!

Good boating,

Andy Brown

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news Andy, any idea of time frame on .45 piston and liners ?? As Tom said, please keep us posted ....

Hey Andy good to hear it's coming together for you, I'm sure now you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train coming the other way! :lol:

Just curious, what machine did you buy?

that is good news for all,

I just recieved a new pipe and a new rudder blade machined by andy and I say it looks very good. keep up those machining skills andy

can't wait to see the new engine bits coming out now.

TErry,

I'll answer this for Andy, as he and I discussed it previously.

It is a MAZAK CNC Lathe with auxilliary power head. Below is a clip from Andy's reply to me.

Integrex 100 IV - ST with Matrix control

2" spindle bores

40 tool magazine

High pressure coolant

LNS barfeed

parts catch & conveyor

chip conveor

Renishaw probe system

B -axis control to .0001 degree

Full syncronization of both c-axis spindles, also with .0001" degree control.

several software options

A few other options I can't think of at the moment.

LOL......James! Yep the cost of the tools just to fill up the 40 tool magazine and the 9 position turret would buy a decked out Bridgport mill and a very nice full sized lathe. In fact, even the cost of the software options alone would buy that equipment and then some!

I'm working hard to get more and more parts rolling off the machine.

Just finished up some more of the new AB 91 Billet pipes today. They are availible with standard muff. or extra quiet.

News Flash!!!

Just got a call from Henry Velasko! Henry just finished his C Hydro day at the NAMBA Nats as NAMBA C Hydro National Champion!!!! Henry raced his MAC 67 powered Eagle SGX. Henry ran the new Billet AB 67-80 pipe on this combination.

The new power was enough to enable Henry to also set 'Fast Time' for the race. Eagle SGX rounded out 2nd and 3rd place positions too.

Congratulations Henry Velasko!!!

Anyone wanting to see pics of the new Billet AB 91 pipe, just shoot us an e-mail and we'll send back a pic. We will get them on the web-site soon.

Be sure to give us a call or e-mail with your needs. If we don't have it yet we may be able to quote a completion date for that product. Plus it will help me understanding what everyone is needing most.

Be sure to order your new AB 67-80 and AB 91 Billet pipes. The are going fast!!

I'm currently working on .21 pistons. The larger sizes should come fairly soon.

Good Boating,

Andy Brown

Andy is right, high quality tooling is mega expen$ive. I am a machining process engineer at the Nissan powertrain machining plant in TN. We machine and assemble the engines for all the vehicles assembled at our 2 vehicle assembly plants in the USA. We machine Aluminim heads and Blocks, and forged steel cranks.

We have several MILLION $$ of tools inhouse. The camshaft bearing boring bars I was working with today are $6k each. The aligning bushing that guides the bar is $3500. My diamond tipped 10mm reamers are over $800 each. Most of out PCD inserts are about $100 ea, with up to 20ea on a face mill holder. Oh, and the inserts are not regrindable. On the positive side, we have some tools that were put in the magazine in August 2005 and have cut over 200,000 pcs and are still going strong. We are cutting high silicon aluminum. But tool crashes get real expensive, real quick. My office mate crashed a measuring head due to a simple G-code mistake. The cost of his simple mistake was one $16k bore measuring head.

Our total non-production parts and supplies inventory at the plant is a little over $100 MILLION........We are trying to cut it about 10%.

I'm hoping to work toward owning a small custom CNC shop in the next 5-10 years.

Thanks for your efforts, Andy. I know that this is a huge undertaking with great risk, all for the betterment of our hobby. Thanks again.

Even ignoring the substantial financial investment Andy & crew has made in this it still a monumental undertaking that shows an incredible commitment to our little chunk of the r/c world, something that we desperately need. I know I'm not alone in saying that it is really unfortunate to see engine costs increase dramatically when a manufacturer knows they are currently the only game in town. Whether or not you choose to run the new motors when they are available we need some choices to bring stability & fair pricing in the marine nitro engine market especially when I see guys paying more for a 21 than I paid for my 84's barely two season's ago. I know I'm looking forward to bolting a few A/A Pro's in my boats. B)

Rock on CMDi! :)

Andy, I cannot compliment you enough for the enormous commitment you have made to this hobby that we all love and enjoy so much. I know there are good days and days that you have to wonder is it all worth it, but your focus, the hard work you put into this every day and your dedication to the hobby has put you at the top of my list for not only the best person in this hobby but a person who genuinely cares about the people who play with these little boats. To invest so much of your life, time and money to make the things happen that now seem to be finally coming together, we ALL need to thank you for what looks to be a life saver in the water for a hobby that has been slowly drowning.

THANK YOU,

Dick Tyndall

Andy, I cannot compliment you enough for the enormous commitment you have made to this hobby that we all love and enjoy so much. I know there are good days and days that you have to wonder is it all worth it, but your focus, the hard work you put into this every day and your dedication to the hobby has put you at the top of my list for not only the best person in this hobby but a person who genuinely cares about the people who play with these little boats. To invest so much of your life, time and money to make the things happen that now seem to be finally coming together, we ALL need to thank you for what looks to be a life saver in the water for a hobby that has been slowly drowning.
THANK YOU,

Dick Tyndall
DITTO to Mr. tyndall

X3

Andy,, your commitment to excellence has been well worth the wait for all involved in this sport.

CMDI Rocks !!!

even barstock props.
Damm Andy, now I'm drooling all over my keyboard! :) That will be a sight to see for sure.

The new parts I've gotten so far have been excellent. Keep up the good work and a BIG Thank You.

-Buck-

Great job CMDI!!! and thanks for the tremendous commitment to our hobby. I've personally seen one of the new pipes in Atlanta and I must say, it's a piece of art. I can only imagine what the new engines will be like. Let's get a big cheer for some good ol' quality American manufacturing.

-Mitch Atwell

Hey Andy:

I know Glen Burkhard has a excellent picture of Henry's C-hydro going down the front straight with a nice close up of the pipe. That has to be worth something. Offer him a bribe I am sure you can get it off him.

Thanks for the support everyone!

We've been working on getting some backorders out the door.

If you've been waiting on something for a long time don't hesitate

to let us know. Sometimes we manage to let something slip through the cracks.

Call the girls just to say Hi. And be sure to ask what new items they have.

Oh and find something to buy too! LOL

We have just added dual water pick-up blades to the list.

The 2007 NAMBA Nats has been totally dominated by MAC engines.

That is so amazing to me considering we have not had engines or much parts in two years.

Better stuff coming soon!

Good boating,

Andy

Back