CMB 2006 OB TUNNEL RACE - 2nd ANNUAL

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Charleston Model Boaters (CMB) proudly announce our 2nd annual OB Tunnel race to be held March 25th & 26th at our lake located in Walterboro, South Carolina. Our 2005 race was held in September and a great success. Our initial date for this race of early October was changed to this date with the desired OB Tribute Race for Tommy Lee in Jackson, TN in late October. The CMB club decided to change the race date to assist with that race for Tommy.

We are looking for this race to be a greater success than 2005. As an added benefit and enticement, several classes will be included in the District 13 High Points competition for 2006 and are noted below. Due to the intense interest for the race in Atlanta in April, few tunnels were able to make it in before the deadline so we have included the district classes to this race.

This race will have the following classes offered:

B (D13 HP class)

Sport B (per IMPBA rules) (D13 HP class)

D (D13 HP class)

Sport D (no tuned pipes but anything else goes)

E/F

Open (D13 HP class)

Open Offshore

Open Enduro - consists of 2 heats of 10 minutes each with 1 mandatory stop, restart and relaunch

The open offshore and enduro were especially a great deal of fun last year and this year will be no different.

Speciality events:

* Fastest lap time competition on Saturday evening for B and D classes

* Mark Poole of Outboard Model Concepts will be sponsoring his new Mod-VP Sport B Tunnel series. 6 lucky drivers, selected by random drawing at the race, if/as needed, will be driving identically prepared (like IROC Cars) Sport B tunnels for all 4 heats for the race. This will be a season long D13 series sponsored by Mark. He will be publicizing the event with much more detail to come.

* Concours award - won in 2005 by Gabe Clegg

* Ugly boat award - won in 2005 by Mitch Atwell Jr

* Smack talk award - won in 2005 by Mitch Atwell Jr

Entry by mail ONLY and the DEADLINE with payment is MARCH 18th.

Last years race website is located at: http://www.rmhalliday.com/OBChamps.html

John Knight

President, Charleston Model Boaters

PS: Our annual invitational race will be Oct 7th & 8th. Will be the final District 13 race of the year.

CMB_2006_Tunnel_Entry_Form.doc

Now that the winternat's are over, let's get the tunnel boats ready and entries in. Remember, the first ones in get their channels reserved. The late entrants may have to change. Time to get cracking.

New website for the tunnel championships for this year. 2006 TC website You can follow all entries, classes, sponsors, and reports. And the every present smack board that the Atwell's visit often.

Two new race donations have been received today for the Tunnel Championships:

New Top Speed 2 Tunnel hull donated by AquaCraft Models and provided through Russ Williamson and Bill Madaio of Hobbico.

Custom made metal fuel tank for any tunnel boat built by John Steltzer of the CMB club.

Many thanks to both for supporting the 2006 OB Tunnel Championships!

New Top Speed 2 Tunnel hull donated by AquaCraft Models and provided through Russ Williamson and Bill Madaio of Hobbico.

Custom made metal fuel tank for any tunnel boat built by John Steltzer of the CMB club.

Russ ole buddy I really appreciate your support of the hobby! PS keep yer fingers crossed for me as I have another Nephew looking for a boat for his birthday in June :D

By the way his brother who owns lasts years donation is racing in his first race this month in Brandon FL :D :D :D

Ron

Russ ole buddy I really appreciate your support of the hobby! PS keep yer fingers crossed for me as I have another Nephew looking for a boat for his birthday in June :D

By the way his brother who owns lasts years donation is racing in his first race this month in Brandon FL :D :D :D

Ron

Ron,

Are you bringing your nephew with his boat with you to race next month? We hope so as we will be filming the races. A lot in store for this race is being planned. Don't want to miss it.

John

Ron,

Are you bringing your nephew with his boat with you to race next month? We hope so as we will be filming the races. A lot in store for this race is being planned. Don't want to miss it.

John

John I had thought about it but we are going to see how things go at his first and go from there.

Ron

Several of us ran boats yesterday at the CMB pond. It was cold and the air density gauge was reading 105. My K&B SS kept wanting more fuel, more fuel. Gonna have these little boats running pretty good for the race. This will be the first ever race for the Mod-VP boats, the series will kick off here at the Tunnel Championships. Y'all come, it's gonna be fun!

I wish I could have got out there yesterday, I want to see the Mod-VP's. That should be a really fun class to run and watch. Six identical boats, six drivers with no excuse!

-Bobby

Several of us ran boats yesterday at the CMB pond. It was cold and the air density gauge was reading 105. My K&B SS kept wanting more fuel, more fuel. Gonna have these little boats running pretty good for the race. This will be the first ever race for the Mod-VP boats, the series will kick off here at the Tunnel Championships. Y'all come, it's gonna be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
**************** ***************NEWS FLASH*************************************

CMDi has just donated a new MAC 21 OB powerhead for the CMB Tunnel Championships raffle. Another good reason to come to the race. A new (20) LYNX Hull by Carl Van Houten, a new 40 HTB Hull by Mark Hopper, a new TopSpeed 2 hull from AquaCraft, AquaCraft Tee shirts, Props 4-U props, several Lawless products, HTB OB pipe, and other Jim Irwin items among traditional items for the raffle. Miss this race and you miss excellent competition and outstanding prizes.

Many thanks to Andy Brown and the CMDi crew for the support received today.

At this moment, we are planning on providing hot lunches for sale on Friday and Saturday. Sunday will depend on when we get through with racing on Saturday and how much racing remains for Sunday.

In addition, we plan on doing a dinner at the lake for the racers on Saturday evening. The Atwells have graciously volunteered to coordinate the cooking for the racers. It is called by many names - Frogmore Stew, Low Country Boil, etc. It is comprised of shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn cooked in a hot kettle. It is a southern coastal delicacy.

RACE DEADLINE IS SATURDAY, 18 MARCH. MAIL ENTRIES ONLY AND ENTRY FORM IS ATTACHED IN POST # 1.

John

This race is less than 3 weeks away with the entry deadline fast approaching on Saturday, 18 Mar. You don't want to miss it if you run a tunnel boat.

Details for a special deal for the motel is located in the OB forum under a thread for the tunnel race motel. Please refer to it.

Guys,

It was past dark when I left the lake. We made it through two rounds, did the Fast Lap trials & Radar speeds and ran the Smack Talk Shootout. While all the talkers showed that they can also drive it was Grim showing them the fast way around with Ron Byrd right behind him until his boat died. A lot of fast boats with good drivers in all the classes. I'll posting more info shortly.

-Bobby

The twin do run!

Guys,

I took over 200 pics and 1.5 hrs of video. I'll get it uploaded as soon as I can. Check the TCII for the latest updates. I have pics and video of the Twin, the Mod-VP's and all the other action. I'll get what I can tonight. Keep checking back. It was a GREAT race! Thanks to all the entrants, manufacturers and vendors for making this a success! :)

-Bobby

I am home before a lot of others will be but I just wanted to come in and say that the CMB Tunnel Race is over and is a HUGE success!!! Results and pics will be posted soon.

The Grimracer Mike Z. showed everyone why he is a multi time champion by winning the Mod-VP Smack Talk Challenge race driving a hull that he had never even touched before.

In 4 rounds of Mod-VP heat racing Mike Talley of Alabama came out on top. Alll of the racers who were picked to run the class did a great job. Watch for complete results.

Mark, great job with the Mod-VP boats. Drivers and spectators alike had fun watching them race.

Bobby, thanks for the pics, videos, and helping out when I needed someone to pit for me.

To all the sponsors, thanks for the support!

John and all the other club members, great job!. Looking forward to next year.

John,

So who won the propellers?

It sounds like you guys had a fun weekend.

Glad To Help Out,

Mark Sholund

I was lucky # 9 !!!!!!!! :D Mark.... Great sponsorship sponsors....... It was surly appreciated !!!!!!

The World's Largest Tunnel Only Race !!!!

Butch Jackson :D

Butch,

Let me know what propeller you would like me to send you? The racers and host club are

the ones who make it all happen,we just try to support the host clubs.

Thanks For All That Attended And Made It Successful,

Mark Sholund

Mark I won a prop and I will get a 442 for my Top Speed. Thanks for helping the club out with your props. Everybody can always use a prop :rolleyes:

Mike

every once and a while you get a good start.. or a fast needle.. or a good meal.. but at this race it was the norm.. I sit at my PC with a huge smile because not of JUST the racing.. but the friends you can make in this hobby..

IL

IN

OH

KN

TN

NC

SC

15 hours on the road

mountains

tired

Cold

early to the pond

cold

people start to show

Smiles

Hand shakes

Old Friends

Johno

Carl

on and on

New Friends

Bobby

Mike

Mike

john

on and on

Florida

Alabama

Georgia

SC

Netherlands

Germany

on and on

Toni.. with an I

low country boil

full

Cold

Friends

Nitro

fast

speed

Drivers meeting

LAUGH

Barney

Aunt Bea

tears

RACE

WIN

loose

WIN

cold

fire

drinks

food

cold

Mitch Jr

Sr

RON ...my friend Ron..

eat

up early

late

Zip ties

Punked

pool chair

Cold

race

Nitro

Fast

Spoils

defeat

laughs

hand shakes

good byes

cold

15 hours on the road

Home.......... and that my friends is not the half of it.... If you missed this one you truly missed what model boat racing in the IMPBA is all about...

Mr, Holliday..

Mr, Knight

CMB Club

Thank you for allowing this race to happen.. if it was not for your guiding hands 30 people would have never been allowed to experience what i feel was quite likely the BEST boat race i have ever been to..

Thank you very much

Michael “Grimracer” Zaborowski

Aquacraft

Grimracer

O Donnell Fuel

Latest posts

Back