CMB 2006 OB TUNNEL RACE - 2nd ANNUAL

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

The Charleston Model Boaters (CMB) proudly announce our 2nd annual OB Tunnel race to be held March 25th & 26th at our lake located in Walterboro, South Carolina. Our 2005 race was held in September and a great success. Our initial date for this race of early October was changed to this date with the desired OB Tribute Race for Tommy Lee in Jackson, TN in late October. The CMB club decided to change the race date to assist with that race for Tommy.

We are looking for this race to be a greater success than 2005. As an added benefit and enticement, several classes will be included in the District 13 High Points competition for 2006 and are noted below. Due to the intense interest for the race in Atlanta in April, few tunnels were able to make it in before the deadline so we have included the district classes to this race.

This race will have the following classes offered:

B (D13 HP class)

Sport B (per IMPBA rules) (D13 HP class)

D (D13 HP class)

Sport D (no tuned pipes but anything else goes)

E/F

Open (D13 HP class)

Open Offshore

Open Enduro - consists of 2 heats of 10 minutes each with 1 mandatory stop, restart and relaunch

The open offshore and enduro were especially a great deal of fun last year and this year will be no different.

Speciality events:

* Fastest lap time competition on Saturday evening for B and D classes

* Mark Poole of Outboard Model Concepts will be sponsoring his new Mod-VP Sport B Tunnel series. 6 lucky drivers, selected by random drawing at the race, if/as needed, will be driving identically prepared (like IROC Cars) Sport B tunnels for all 4 heats for the race. This will be a season long D13 series sponsored by Mark. He will be publicizing the event with many more details to come.

* Concours award - won in 2005 by Gabe Clegg

* Ugly boat award - won in 2005 by Mitch Atwell Jr

* Smack talk award - won in 2005 by Mitch Atwell Jr

Entry by mail ONLY and the DEADLINE with payment is MARCH 18th.

Last years race website is located at: http://www.rmhalliday.com/OBChamps.html

John Knight

President, Charleston Model Boaters

PS: Our annual invitational race will be Oct 7th & 8th. Will be the final District 13 race of the year.

CMB_2006_Tunnel_Entry_Form.doc

Attachments

• CMB_2006_Tunnel_Entry_Form.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John, we (John Otto, Steve Hearl, Don Riek and myself) were just discussing this last night at our club meeting. The date change looks as though it will not work for us, much to our dismay as we had planned to make this a regular event. Only time will tell but right now its not looking do-able.

Ron

The Charleston Model Boaters (CMB) proudly announce our 2nd annual OB Tunnel race to be held March 25th & 26th at our lake located in Walterboro, South Carolina. Our 2005 race was held in September and a great success. Our initial date for this race of early October was changed to this date with the desired OB Tribute Race for Tommy Lee in Jackson, TN in late October. The CMB club decided to change the race date to assist with that race for Tommy.

We are looking for this race to be a greater success than 2005. As an added benefit and enticement, several classes will be included in the District 13 High Points competition for 2006 and are noted below. Due to the intense interest for the race in Atlanta in April, few tunnels were able to make it in before the deadline so we have included the district classes to this race.

B (D13 HP class)

D (D13 HP class)

E/F

Open (D13 HP class)

Open Offshore

Open Enduro - consists of 2 heats of 10 minutes each with 1 mandatory stop, restart and relaunch

The open offshore and enduro were especially a great deal of fun last year and this year will be no different.

Speciality events:

* Mark Poole of Outboard Model Concepts will be sponsoring his new Mod-VP Sport B Tunnel series. 6 lucky drivers, selected by random drawing at the race, if/as needed, will be driving identically prepared (like IROC Cars) Sport B tunnels for all 4 heats for the race. This will be a season long D13 series sponsored by Mark. He will be publicizing the event with much more detail to come.

John Knight

PS: Our annual invitational race will be Oct 7th & 8th. Will be the final District 13 race of the year.

I sure hope the potential conflict will resolve itself. I have received, from the man himself, that Lynx or a Shaman will be donated for the raffle at the race. You do not want to pass up an opportunity to get your hands on a new Lynx or Shaman for the measly slim cost of a raffle ticket! Many thanks to Carl Van Houten of VansRacing, who will be attending along with Mike Talley and hopefully Mike Rushing as well. The Smack Busters are coming to town again!

Hey John, we (John Otto, Steve Hearl, Don Riek and myself) were just discussing this last night at our club meeting. The date change looks as though it will not work for us, much to our dismay as we had planned to make this a regular event. Only time will tell but right now its not looking do-able.

Ron

B (D13 HP class)

D (D13 HP class)

E/F

Open (D13 HP class)

Open Offshore

Speciality events:

* Mark Poole of Outboard Model Concepts will be sponsoring his new Mod-VP Sport B Tunnel series. 6 lucky drivers, selected by random drawing at the race, if/as needed, will be driving identically prepared (like IROC Cars) Sport B tunnels for all 4 heats for the race. This will be a season long D13 series sponsored by Mark. He will be publicizing the event with much more detail to come.

John Knight

Hey John

I'm gonna have to work on these guys a little,Guess I'll have to tell them that we Just going for a ride and then lock the doors and haul azzzz up there LOL

Steve Hearl

Hey John

I'm gonna have to work on these guys a little,Guess I'll have to tell them that we Just going for a ride and then lock the doors and haul azzzz up there LOL

Steve Hearl

You do that! It will be well worth it as you know. Pick up Ron Drake and Wade Daughtery on the way too.

Hey John

Steve Hearl

You do that! It will be well worth it as you know. Pick up Ron Drake and Wade Daughtery on the way too.

I tell ya you really can't blame them for trying to crawfishing out of coming. I would be nervus about coming back to a race I got spanked at too LOL.

And thats great of vans racing to step up to the raffle plate. If only Carl had a couple of good YOUNG drivers to drive for him that team would be awsome. Now Tennesse if them boys down south cure out yaw are going to have to step up to the plate {Mr Hopper and crew} we missed having yaw here at the last/ first tunnel championships so put the date on your calenders.

I know that my boys down south will not let me down Otto Hearle Primo Whitton Riek Dird and who ever else they Maybe can talk into coming. Tunnel racing at it's best. The only gas here will be coming out of every ones hind end.

Yes Sir Mr Gator, We be coming for ya ,Glad to see yall made in to Winter Nats also ,just a couple more weeks and you'll be able to touch me again, Did'nt see any Sport 40 or Scale Entries??? Don't be Scared,Come on and get ya some LOL Cyaaaaaa

Steve H.

Hey guys, this will be a great race to attend. I just got off the phone with Wade-n-Nator. He is coming over here for a few days to get up to speed on the new stuff and do some racing here at our pond in a couple of weeks. Everybody in our area will be there.

I need to get Mr. Pro-Glass Martin T on the phone and make sure he makes a showing. He did a great job of racing after being out so long last year.

We especially want to see your local South Carolina boat builders like Charles Hawkins and his new boys make it to the race this year!

-Carl,

Last edited by a moderator:
i still do not have a race boat for that challege but hope to have one in the near future. other things or projects that i wanted to get done has taken the money for my boating expensives. i figure that i had to at least the spring to get a new boat up and running ,then everything changed with the new date o well i guess that how the ball bounces.i do have my stock tunnel up and running,but it slow compared to my mod tunnel. look at the avatar below my nane that my slow moe boat.

allen

Last edited:
i still do not have a race boat for that challege but hope to have one in the near future. other things or projects that i wanted to get done has taken the money for my boating expensives. i figure that i had to at least the spring to get a new boat up and running ,then everything changed with the new date o well i guess that how the ball bounces.i do have my stock tunnel up and running,but it slow compared to my mod tunnel. look at the avatar below my nane that my slow moe boat.

allen
If you'd qiut buying those dang fish you could have one of every Tunnel Class. :p

You guys shake the bushes over there. Find guys like David Ashmore, Harry Harper, Charles Hawkins & Ron Drake. None of these guys were at the Shoot Out last year.

I am really looking forward to seeing all the tunnel racers again.

I was encouraged by quite a few IMPBA members to run the MOD-VP boats as a class after being allowed to run the hull with the tunnels in 2004. I need to thank the other officers of D13 for making this happen.

Very simple. I will have 6 identical boats, motors and radios. Anyone inteested in running the class can put their name in the drawing and the 6 racers who are drawn will race Mod-VP class. The boats will run the same fuel and I will supply it also. Like John said it will be a season long series. Also, if you race the first event then you will have a boat reserved for you at the next event. If you show up at that event and race then you will have a boat in the third event and so on. If you miss an event we will draw for a driver for that boat at that event. Any racer who can win any 2 races (events) in a row in this class wins a Dubl-Tunl Mod-VP hull. The series champ will also win a hull. As you can see there is incentive to show up and race!

As stated in the e mail that went to all D13 members, as soon as any sold Dubl-Tunl boats begin to show up for these races the class will be run with Sport B engine rules. As of yesterday the next 2 boats in the mold are sold to D13 members. The Sport B rule is to prevent a sold hull from running a piped engine against the boats that I bring which will have K&B SS on them. This is fair for the racers and fair to me also. There is incentive to race and incentive to own a hull and run a modified (but Sport B legal) motor on it if you wish. Feel free to reply or PM me here if you have any questions.

John, since we don't know about the other race in question we might start this series off at the TC.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

I know you are crunching real hard getting the 6 boats race ready. I think that the TC race is the best introduction possible for the series for you. The extra time gives you the opportunity to fine tune them and for them to be tested at our club runs if you want. The final decision is up to you since you are the series sponsor for it. The CMB club will support you in any manner you desire.

John

Probably a good idea since I think the Mod VP's should be driven by Tunnel racers. Not that I wouldn't love a free ride. But I do think the Tunnel guys should be driving the boats.

I may have to re-think my decission on making the TC! I want to run one of those Mod VP Boats!

And I gotta admit it will be fun kicking Gators tail ! :p

Gator at the Winter Nats your gonna get a preview of what I got for you :lol:

Last edited:
Glad to see ModVP get off the ground and running as a class, congrates Mark !!!

Now about the Tunnel Championships .... I as a novice ran last year and had a blast !!!! Rubbing shoulders with the best of the best :) :eek:

So pull those tunnels out and let's Get it on !!!!!! If you have a tunnel then this is your race of the year !!!

Butch ;)

I may have to re-think my decission on making the TC! I want to run one of those Mod VP Boats!

And I gotta admit it will be fun kicking Gators tail ! :p

Gator at the Winter Nats your gonna get a preview of what I got for you :lol:

Now you are talking! We would like to see a repeat of that again. From what I was told today, some serious videotaping of the upcoming TC will occur so our fleeting memories of certain races will be officially documented for accuracy. The "fish stories" will go away! More info to follow soon.

The new TC website is under development and will be released within the next 1 - 2 weeks. More info than last year will be available.

Ron, how about you and Steve Hearl printing out the flyer and distribute at the winter nats for us next week if you would be so kind. I know a lot of potential tunnel racers for the TC will be there. I am sure the Atwell's can help "talk it up" to everyone as well.

Latest posts

Back