classic thunderboat kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike S. & Mike A.,

You are both correct.

The difference being - Mike S. is using IMPBA, "1 year trial for 2008" Rules, Mike A. is using NAMBA District 19 Classic Thunderboat rules to be submitted for NAMBA approval in the next Propwash.

IMPBA "trial rules" allow for pickle fork designs, in addition to the (allowed by both) hull designs of Round nose, chisel (shovel) nose, and step deck. IMPBA (only) Pickle fork hull design allows:

"The pickle fork shall not exceed 10% of the hull length (IMPBA min. 46", max 56" with a min. width of 21")and be modeled after a classic era boat (1950 -1970).

NAMBA District 19 allows for only "Round nose, Step deck, Chisel Nose ONLY". NAMBA min length 48", max. 56", with a min width of 24". They also specify: "The transom shall be a minimum of 10" in width.

For those of us that would like to race one hull in both IMPBA and NAMBA sanctioned events - - we need to ensure that our hulls will meet the intent of both "District 19 Classic Thunderboat", soon to be propposed to NAMBA for a membership vote, and the "IMPBA 1 year trial for 2008 Classic Thunderboat Hydro - Specialty Class" Rules whatever they ultimately are voted in to both 0rganizations to be.

We must also note that there have only been 4 races for the Classic Thunderboat class to date. All four were NAMBA Sanctioned. Specifically - 2006 & 2007 Gas World Championships in Vegas, The 2007 Muncey in San Diego, and the 2008 Winter Nationals.

Let the games begin. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Hey, anything going on in Indiana with the Thunderboats? I'm interested in getting one but would want to race it. Mostly I make FE hulls (I am classichydros.com) but sure would like to build one of these and race it. Saymikey your in Evansville? I live in Indy.

Hey, anything going on in Indiana with the Thunderboats? I'm interested in getting one but would want to race it. Mostly I make FE hulls (I am classichydros.com) but sure would like to build one of these and race it. Saymikey your in Evansville? I live in Indy.
I have a kit im building,there should be a few pop up in and around here. Our May race is full my substitute a class for June And Madison always runs gas classes. Build one and lets get something going.......

If your wondering why an FE guy would give a sh(^, were also looking to eventually join in on the T-Boat fun. Although will probably wait till you gentleman get this sorted out. LOL :p
Ken... As a fellow FE guy... having been where we've been... I find this statement VERY FUNNY!! Right ON!! ;)

Staying OUT of it! But I'm laughing none-the-less... :D

Hope you gentlemen get this sorted out so those of us who can only afford to do this once can, well... do this ONCE... This NAMBA vs. IMPBA disparity stuff is really silly... Kind of like INDY Cars vs. Kart... NOBODY WINS...

I have a kit im building,there should be a few pop up in and around here. Our May race is full my substitute a class for June And Madison always runs gas classes. Build one and lets get something going.......
You got it! I sent you a message and my e-mail is on my website too. Let me know when and where you race in May and I'll drive down to watch.

If your wondering why an FE guy would give a sh(^, were also looking to eventually join in on the T-Boat fun. Although will probably wait till you gentleman get this sorted out. LOL :p
Ken... As a fellow FE guy... having been where we've been... I find this statement VERY FUNNY!! Right ON!! ;)

Hope you gentlemen get this sorted out so those of us who can only afford to do this once can, well... do this ONCE... This NAMBA vs. IMPBA disparity stuff is really silly... Kind of like INDY Cars vs. Kart... NOBODY WINS...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THATS FUNNY ..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew2 Get back to building boats!!!!!!!

So, this motor is a choice for Thunderboats?

Stock Zenoah G260PUM

Or, for more info, the place to find out the specs on this class.

Drew2 Get back to building boats!!!!!!!

I am - sheet #2 went on the Atlas today, had to fill the drying time by reading some humor :huh: :p :huh:

So, this motor is a choice for Thunderboats?
Stock Zenoah G260PUM

Or, for more info, the place to find out the specs on this class.
It depends on what sanctioning body that you're going to run under. The Sikk has more power but some want to have it so that you can only run Zen's.

I think that some people are going to wait and see what the final rules are before getting a hull and engine that minght not be legal where they race. Others probably want to see some ion action before plunking down their money.

Back