classic thunderboat kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to add to these comments..... Namba district 19 is trying there set of rules for a year and Namba District 3 is trying a slightly different set of rules allowing the Zipp Kits and the Sikk Motor. Go to www.namba3.net and you can reviewed thier guidelines for this class. At some point it will be put to the membership for vote and we will have the benefit of both Namba district's input to keep us better informed and more knowledge with which to vote with. So please do not assume that you cannot run a particular boat or engine in this class with-in the Namba organization. The proposed rules are for each individual district until voted on at a national level.

This year at our 2008 NAMBA Nationals we will be running this class as an exhibition and we can let you all know how this goes. We will have guys from both district here and we will quiz them on there rules and how it is going. The Zipp Kit boats as well as the Sikk motors will be allowed at this event.

If you have a classic Thunderboat bring it and race it. www.2008NAMBANats.com

Happy Boating

Robert Holland

From the winter nats the interest seemed to be on all the thunderboats which was good to see..only time will tell on the size ,,depends on how NAMBA members vote...Guys when six of these bad boys come around the corner for the start...its impressive....

All this talk about excluding the zipkit boat.........
Which one is it? View attachment 6998
Tim;

I was at the Winternats and the Notre Dame Zippkit looked like a slightly larger scale boat compared to the Greed boats and the other hulls. You can't tell from the picture because of the angle of the shot but there was a definite difference.

Mercguy

You guys can say what you will but mark my words- as this class continues to catch on and gets more & more competitive the boat sizes will naturally migrate down towards the minimums. With the limited horsepower of requiring stock engines the only other way to go faster once you've maxed out the setup is to go smaller to save the weight and it's already started- the Insane boat is 49", Aeromarine's new boat will be 48", Herzog's boat is 50". Those 20+ pound 54" & 55" boats will become wall ornaments within a couple seasons. I've played this game long enough to already see the writing on the wall ........... :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys can say what you will but mark my words- as this class continues to catch on and gets more & more competitive the boat sizes will naturally migrate down towards the minimums. With the limited horsepower of requiring stock engines the only other way to go faster once you've maxed out the setup is to go smaller to save the weight and it's already started- the Insane boat is 49", Aeromarine's new boat will be 48", Herzog's boat is 50". Those 20+ pound 54" & 55" boats will become wall ornaments within a couple seasons. I've played this game long enough to already see the writing on the wall ........... :ph34r:

20+ pounds boat going over 60 not bad at all... the class was designed to be abig difference from any other class...and boy they are....why try to go smaller it looks out of place....The class was designed to be a big boat class aka thunderboats.... :D

20+ pounds boat going over 60 not bad at all... the class was designed to be abig difference from any other class...and boy they are....why try to go smaller it looks out of place....The class was designed to be a big boat class aka thunderboats.... :D

Amen to that Mike!

Bill

Amen to that Mike!

Bill
Hey I agree the big boats look cool, but in reality it is what it is. Watch and see how it winds up. ;)

The District 19 Thunderboat rules will be submitted to the NAMBA membership for a vote. I wrote an article for the Propwash outlining the problems with those rules as I see them. Namely, the size limits don't allow the Zipkits hulls, and stock engine rules can be a can of worms. I understand why these rules were written the way they were, though. I think we should pass the rules as written but consider adjustments at a later date. Perhaps slightly smaller hulls should be allowed as well as G1 class engines. These can easily be voted in later. The class concept is very popular and the only way to see how it will work is to run it.

The first national race running the class was the Winter Nationals. There, a Roger Newton design driven by David Newton won, but Peter Muller, Feecraft, and Zipkits hulls also did well. A large number of hulls are being built this winter. Mine is in the mail. It should be a fun race season.

Lohring Miller

Case in point,,this class started with 54-55" boats now down to 47" most gas hydros are not far off that size... This is a big boat class,,not stock gas hydros..aka Thunderboats.... <_<

Case in point,,this class started with 54-55" boats now down to 47" most gas hydros are not far off that size... This is a big boat class,,not stock gas hydros..aka Thunderboats.... <_<
Maybe, just maybe thats why Namba District 19 boat size proposal will not include the ZIPP kits.

47" ... 48" it won't matter. Like I said eventually it will migrate down to the minimum as competition goes up & people begin looking for an edge. Those of you who are foolish enough to think otherwise need to take the horseblinds off and get a clue. The only way you'll keep them at 54" is for the minimum to be that. :blink:

No sense carrying on with this any more, you guys believe what you want................

..........just don't cop an attitude when I'm there to say I told you so. :p

All this talk about excluding the zipkit boat.........
Which one is it? View attachment 6998
Tim;

I was at the Winternats and the Notre Dame Zippkit looked like a slightly larger scale boat compared to the Greed boats and the other hulls. You can't tell from the picture because of the angle of the shot but there was a definite difference.

Mercguy
I was there too.That's a pic I took just to give a perspective of the different hulls. That is Jim Geiger's zip Rocket who finished 4th for the weekend.

Would that be anything like the time guys said they were running there cooper qhb's at 8 1/2 inches on 40 Mono's when they first came out ??? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;)

Time ALWAYS has a way of bringing things full circle- but its really cool if your there to see it too !!!! :p

Andy

Hum didnt Greg start this craze at 54" out west... :eek:

My Bad this Thread started off by asking a simple question on where to buy a thunderboat kit,,, please follow that email and enjoy building your thunderboat...send us pictures so we can see the progress....

47" ... 48" it won't matter. Like I said eventually it will migrate down to the minimum as competition goes up & people begin looking for an edge. Those of you who are foolish enough to think otherwise need to take the horseblinds off and get a clue. The only way you'll keep them at 54" is for the minimum to be that. :blink:

No sense carrying on with this any more, you guys believe what you want................

Don,

I don't have a dog in this fight (sorry vick :eek: ), but am wondering if you feel the same way about 1/8 scale boats (darn near exactly the same dimensions that are being thrown around in this thread, but without the Anchor of a gas motor :huh: ). In 1/8 scale Unlimited, there are length maximums (generally specified as + or - 1") of actual, based on scale, and + or - 10% on width in our district. Are you saying that boats made to the minimum will have an advantage over boats built to the maximum? I know this is not Apple, Apple, but it is in my opinion, Grape, Grape. I bet some of us could make a boat at the Max, Max that was lighter, faster, and MUCH more stable than Min, Min in either 1/8 Scale, or in the budding? class of gas thunderboats?? Maybe I'm missing something here?

I don't know these boats (mfr.'s etc, nor for that matter the motors), but I would lean toward letting in the smaller boats if it supported mfr's, and helped the shipping issues, and in other words helped the class grow. But when I build my boat... and I may, it won't be based on shipping container size, or cost to purchase, because I'll likely build it myself. I know I'm in the minority, but my main question is about your size comment and its implication that smaller/lighter, is better/faster. I get that your comment in a 'vacuum' (theoretically (SAWS?)) makes sense, but in a 'racing' class, it may or not hold water. I personally think it leaks like a sieve. My point is that some can build bigger, lighter and more stable... no matter how 'aggressive' you may be in your pursuit of smaller / lighter / quicker philosophy.

Thanks,

David

Back