classic thunderboat kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Case in point,,this class started with 54-55" boats now down to 47" most gas hydros are not far off that size... This is a big boat class,,not stock gas hydros..aka Thunderboats.... <_<
47" ... 48" it won't matter. Like I said eventually it will migrate down to the minimum as competition goes up & people begin looking for an edge. Those of you who are foolish enough to think otherwise need to take the horseblinds off and get a clue. The only way you'll keep them at 54" is for the minimum to be that. :blink:

No sense carrying on with this any more, you guys believe what you want................

..........just don't cop an attitude when I'm there to say I told you so. :p

Don,

I don't have a dog in this fight (sorry vick :eek: ), but am wondering if you feel the same way about 1/8 scale boats (darn near exactly the same dimensions that are being thrown around in this thread, but without the Anchor of a gas motor :huh: ). In 1/8 scale Unlimited, there are length maximums (generally specified as + or - 1") of actual, based on scale, and + or - 10% on width in our district. Are you saying that boats made to the minimum will have an advantage over boats built to the maximum? I know this is not Apple, Apple, but it is in my opinion, Grape, Grape. I bet some of us could make a boat at the Max, Max that was lighter, faster, and MUCH more stable than Min, Min in either 1/8 Scale, or in the budding? class of gas thunderboats?? Maybe I'm missing something here?

I don't know these boats (mfr.'s etc, nor for that matter the motors), but I would lean toward letting in the smaller boats if it supported mfr's, and helped the shipping issues, and in other words helped the class grow. But when I build my boat... and I may, it won't be based on shipping container size, or cost to purchase, because I'll likely build it myself. I know I'm in the minority, but my main question is about your size comment and its implication that smaller/lighter, is better/faster. I get that your comment in a 'vacuum' (theoretically (SAWS?)) makes sense, but in a 'racing' class, it may or not hold water. I personally think it leaks like a sieve. My point is that some can build bigger, lighter and more stable... no matter how 'aggressive' you may be in your pursuit of smaller / lighter / quicker philosophy.

Thanks,

David
One race and the cat fight is on how about we get a few more races under our belt then consider tweaking them? Boat sizes are becoming a issue when the manufacturer has to pay excess fees to ship,shipping a glass boat in 2 pieces wont work. I like the ZIPPKITS boats because it brings the guy that likes to build wood kits back in the picture,even though a ZIPPKIT will almost snap together you get to build it. Glass boats are great also. In the end this class will grow as fast as any other no matter if you are IMPBA or NAMBA. A fun boat and a fun class always draws a crowd aka Sport 21 Tunnel. All I ask is cant we all just get along? Min./Max boat size,bone stock motor with a pipe and the prop of your choice. DONT MAKE ME MEASURE YOUR STINGER much less look at your innards......Mike<the guy with the little T-Boat

Those of you who are foolish enough to think otherwise need to take the horseblinds off and get a clue. The only way you'll keep them at 54" is for the minimum to be that.

WOW now we are being insulted....cant we just have a conversation??

Those of you who are foolish enough to think otherwise need to take the horseblinds off and get a clue. The only way you'll keep them at 54" is for the minimum to be that.
WOW now we are being insulted....cant we just have a conversation??
If you take that as an insult you need thicker skin dude. It's no insult & not meant to be but what reality will be. Like I said, I'm done with this....... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
You know i love ya... :lol: just playing with ya...lets keep this class growing and growing...love to see scale guys and gas guys togeather...I'am sure you are goin to atlanta...good luck

You know i love ya... :lol: just playing with ya...lets keep this class growing and growing...love to see scale guys and gas guys togeather...I'am sure you are goin to atlanta...good luck
Mike Allen have you had a gps in your boat? Just wondered what the speeds were during heat racing? I love this class and i still just have a stack of wood sticks. Mike

How about Zipp just making a 54" boat is that possible?

I think if one wanted to do it you could easily make the boat longer and wider by making

a copy of the frames and overlaping them at the center, probally at the engine mount so this would be doubled.

I plan to build one have to see how Mikeys looks this spring.

PHIL

Mikey,,havent had the chance on the gps yes,,built boat brand new engine and all,,put in water on thur first heat of Thunderboat...thats what i call a test run..ran 14% oil throught the winternats..In the Final you could her her blubbering down the straights.... :lol: will be able to test more this weekeng,, All i know is the Capt has a Tide and that thing is FAST...

On the Ruling on zippkitts/sikk motors in Dist 3.. we voted to follow the namba dist 19 rules that were available to us at the time of our meeting... not knowing that they had revamped its rules in the last meeting they had.. ie no sikk motors,,front cockpits allowed, and min lenght was 48"... The winternats entry form had been printed and boats were already signed up for the race,,,We deceided to let all thunderboats run because of such short notice and the holidays were upon us at that time and did not want anyone to go through the added expense of changing motors etc... so zippkits were allowed and sikk motors also...We Have made it very clear to all that DIST 3 will follow NAMBA rules when they are voted upon and caution anyone in our dist to keep up to date on the rules...right now they are 48x24 min, and no sikk motors...again when voted upon Dist 3 will follow those rules ....Right now in our dist this class is a fun class with no points being taken for high points at the end of the year, so we welcome all thunderboats until NAMBA Rules have been voted upon........hope this helps...

Rick....i will take that as these are slow....you should be use to these speeds,,right up your alley of eye/hand cordnation..... :p

Interesting thread so far.

Just when you thought that there was a cool class that you could get into without dropping a huge wad of money, somebody doesn't like it.

Why is Joe Petro building a 47" hull? Too simple. It fits in a 4 foot sheet of plywood with a little room left on the ends.

Hell, Don built this huge boat for what I've dropped into a .21 mono!

NAMBA or IMPBA people for that matter, if you see a rule that you don't like, vote against it, too easy huh? Yeah, I've seen the bitching over at Jim's about the latest set of rules that got passed.

The Crackerbox started off as Jerry Dunlap's design and plans in RCBM. I felt that its intent was to have a one-design class where driving skills would come into play more that point and shoot boats. At this past years Gas Nat's they ran WOT in nasty water. A lot of the designs appeared to not be within the rules not only in dsign as some looked to be too low profile and others not having the required "P" follwed by a two-digit number 2" high if somebody wanted to nit-pick.

I've already pissed off Chris Herzog and probably some others by saying that it would be nice to have a class of all wood boats instead of 'glas (or what's next, carbon fiber?) in the spirit of the original full-sized boats.

Unfortunately I'm one of those that can't stick 2 pieces of wood together if they fell into a puddle of CA but that's not the point. It's going to make it another class where cubic dollars are going to rule.

My fingers are sore now......

Interesting thread so far.Just when you thought that there was a cool class that you could get into without dropping a huge wad of money, somebody doesn't like it.

Why is Joe Petro building a 47" hull? Too simple. It fits in a 4 foot sheet of plywood with a little room left on the ends.

Hell, Don built this huge boat for what I've dropped into a .21 mono!
At last somebody actually GETS IT!! :rolleyes:

The creed of both organizations is to PROMOTE model boating. ;)

In the water and racing for well under a grand sure seems like the way to do just that. :)

The 2008 season, other than the WinterNats, hasn't even really started and we already have $600 'glass hulls for this class. I'm sure the mega dollar custom carbon fiber ones are just around the corner. <_<

To turn your back on such an outstanding value for a potential newbie, or even a seasoned boater on a tight budget for the sake of an inch or so is a crime. :(

Now I am definitely done with this thread. You NAMBA boys do what you will, at least we made it right in IMPBA. B)

Mikey,,havent had the chance on the gps yes,,built boat brand new engine and all,,put in water on thur first heat of Thunderboat...thats what i call a test run..ran 14% oil throught the winternats..In the Final you could her her blubbering down the straights.... :lol: will be able to test more this weekeng,, All i know is the Capt has a Tide and that thing is FAST...
On the Ruling on zippkitts/sikk motors in Dist 3.. we voted to follow the namba dist 19 rules that were available to us at the time of our meeting... not knowing that they had revamped its rules in the last meeting they had.. ie no sikk motors,,front cockpits allowed, and min lenght was 48"... The winternats entry form had been printed and boats were already signed up for the race,,,We deceided to let all thunderboats run because of such short notice and the holidays were upon us at that time and did not want anyone to go through the added expense of changing motors etc... so zippkits were allowed and sikk motors also...We Have made it very clear to all that DIST 3 will follow NAMBA rules when they are voted upon and caution anyone in our dist to keep up to date on the rules...right now they are 48x24 min, and no sikk motors...again when voted upon Dist 3 will follow those rules ....Right now in our dist this class is a fun class with no points being taken for high points at the end of the year, so we welcome all thunderboats until NAMBA Rules have been voted upon........hope this helps...

Rick....i will take that as these are slow....you should be use to these speeds,,right up your alley of eye/hand cordnation..... :p
When will Distr.3 be voting on this?

Tampa tim ,,, as soon as NAMBA presents its rules to vote on ,, then its members will vote and whatever the final rules are Dist 3 will follow those rules....time wise ,, that i cant say when this will take place...right now in dist 3 bring your classic and have fun...but be ready to make changes if you are running a sikk or classic under 48" for this year this class is a fun class and is a non points class for this year,,next year we race for high points...we will wait and see how it plays out,,,hope this helps....

Tweaked on mine today ,,needle settings, props and strut adjustments and handed the so fla breeze great...each time out better and better ...

Tampa tim ,,, as soon as NAMBA presents its rules to vote on ,, then its members will vote and whatever the final rules are Dist 3 will follow those rules....time wise ,, that i cant say when this will take place...right now in dist 3 bring your classic and have fun...but be ready to make changes if you are running a sikk or classic under 48" for this year this class is a fun class and is a non points class for this year,,next year we race for high points...we will wait and see how it plays out,,,hope this helps....
Tweaked on mine today ,,needle settings, props and strut adjustments and handed the so fla breeze great...each time out better and better ...
Thanks Mike...Looks like a double whammy for me as I am about finished with my sikk powered zippkit rivett.

This will play out.....Let's see what the " little bit bigger than an 1/8 scale" zipp hull will run with the BIG boats!

Looking foward to to some fun running!

Pic is from the winternats..

2007_1224Thunderboats0049__Medium_.JPG

Thanks Mike...Looks like a double whammy for me as I am about finished with my sikk powered zippkit rivett.

This will play out.....Let's see what the " little bit bigger than an 1/8 scale" zipp hull will run with the BIG boats!

Looking foward to to some fun running!

Pic is from the winternats..

View attachment 7020
you and me both....

Remember......the prize money (?) will Not make anybody rich!!!

I just have one question:

ARE PICKLEFORK BOATS LEGAL????????????????

Notice I didn't say turbines, but more like the boats from the 1970s.

Back