classic thunderboat kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Im looking for info on the price, availibility, and whereabouts of a wood kit that somebody offers to run in the new gas classic thunderboat class...and if anyone has built and ran one of these hulls, how did they like it or not......Thanks, Bill

Im looking for info on the price, availibility, and whereabouts of a wood kit that somebody offers to run in the new gas classic thunderboat class...and if anyone has built and ran one of these hulls, how did they like it or not......Thanks, Bill
ZippKits.com sell IMPBA approved hulls,a drop sponson and a conventional rounder. Both come with a glass cowl and sell for around $200.00 shipped to your door. Don Ferrette has a project build on this forum with tons of pics........Mike

The Zippkits boat is cool for sure. Here is a link to the build gallery, click on the plus "+" sign next to the word title in the header bar to put pics in correct order-

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=942

The last 4 pics with the boat sitting in the water are large so you can click on them & expand the image alot.

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill go on jims and cruise around , tons of info on thunderboats , well back to welding ,,,Later !
Too short/ narrow for NAMBA sure hope they reconsider what a shame to waste such a fine boat/kit

I dont plan to run one anytime soon, but I'd love to eventually get one. That being said I would have to agree with Mike, it seem foolish for the rules to exclude that hull(Zipp). :huh: From what I have heard they go together great and run very well.

Don your boat looks great- love the Bacardi theme. ;)

Andy

Bill go on jims and cruise around , tons of info on thunderboats , well back to welding ,,,Later !
Too short/ narrow for NAMBA sure hope they reconsider what a shame to waste such a fine boat/kit
Not entirely true. NAMBA does not have any established national guidelines/rules in place yet (IMPBA does) only a set of rules that NAMBA district 19 has been using and supposedly is submitting to their board at the WinterNats for voting on for the organization which sets the minimums at 48" long x 24" wide, just enough to keep the Zippkits (47"x22") out (there is an unconfirmed rumor circulating that this is intentional, I hope it is not true). As Mike said this would a shame, to me almost a crime, to not allow this hull for the sake of one inch in length & two inches in width as there is no set of eyes in either organization that will be able to tell the difference between 47" & 48" when they are running on the pond. The Zipp thunderboats (Rivett & Rockett) are fantastic deals, something we have been missing for some time. I have a little over $800 turn key in my Zippkits Rockett which by todays standard in building any gas boat is outstanding, THIS IS HOW YOU ATTRACT POTENTIAL NEW BOATERS!!! I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen and/or heard a potential new boater be all excited about what we do until someone tosses out a $1,500 or higher cost to build, they walk away never to be seen again. For anyone within NAMBA who would want to see this boat allowed I strongly urge you to contact your powers that be & voice your opinion ASAP, starting with Al Waters the president. I also had a long chat a couple days ago with Remy @ Aeromarine who is ready to make a boat for this class (he wants to have something to put out at the WRAM show) but wants to know what NAMBA is going to do. He was very vocal in hoping they will be smart & drop the minimums to at least 47"x22" because that will allow him to produce a hull that he can safely ship and keep in OS2 shipping. He explained that shipping companies like UPS & FedEx require a minimum one inch of area around contents for padding/protection if a damage claim ever needs to be filed & 48"x24" will absolutely put the hull into OS3 which creates a dramatic rise in costs (shipping for the new Insane T-boat is listed at $80 in the US for example) which hurts the ones who matter most, the boaters. I surely hope the NAMBA board will do the right thing & reduce the minimum to allow the Zippkit boats and help reduce shipping costs for manufacturers like Aeromarine who have unselfishly supported model boating for so many years. :)

Not entirely true. NAMBA does not have any established national guidelines/rules in place yet (IMPBA does) only a set of rules that NAMBA district 19 has been using and supposedly is submitting to their board at the WinterNats for voting on for the organization which sets the minimums at 48" long x 24" wide, just enough to keep the Zippkits (47"x22") out (there is an unconfirmed rumor circulating that this is intentional, I hope it is not true). As Mike said this would a shame, to me almost a crime, to not allow this hull for the sake of one inch in length & two inches in width as there is no set of eyes in either organization that will be able to tell the difference between 47" & 48" when they are running on the pond. The Zipp thunderboats (Rivett & Rockett) are fantastic deals, something we have been missing for some time. I have a little over $800 turn key in my Zippkits Rockett which by todays standard in building any gas boat is outstanding, THIS IS HOW YOU ATTRACT POTENTIAL NEW BOATERS!!! I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen and/or heard a potential new boater be all excited about what we do until someone tosses out a $1,500 or higher cost to build, they walk away never to be seen again. For anyone within NAMBA who would want to see this boat allowed I strongly urge you to contact your powers that be & voice your opinion ASAP, starting with Al Waters the president. I also had a long chat a couple days ago with Remy @ Aeromarine who is ready to make a boat for this class (he wants to have something to put out at the WRAM show) but wants to know what NAMBA is going to do. He was very vocal in hoping they will be smart & drop the minimums to at least 47"x22" because that will allow him to produce a hull that he can safely ship and keep in OS2 shipping. He explained that shipping companies like UPS & FedEx require a minimum one inch of area area contents for padding/protection if a damage claim ever needs to be filed & 48"x24" will absolutely put the hull into OS3 which creates a dramatic rise in costs (shipping for the new Insane T-boat is listed at $80 in the US for example) which hurts the ones who matter most, the boaters. I surely hope the NAMBA board will do the right thing & reduce the minimum to allow the Zippkit boats and help reduce shipping costs for manufacturers like Aeromarine who have unselfishly supported model boating for so many years. :)

Don, this is the kind of stuff THAT MAKES BLOOD SHOOT OUT OF MY EYES!!...but ya know what, maybe ill just get the kit, stretch it an inch, than widen it 2 inches!...just for spite!! THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF WOOD BOATS! To back up your statement, the main reason that I was interested in this hull,was THE AWESOME PRICE! now im stopped because of a possible rule difference......I THINK NOT!!

Don, this is the kind of stuff THAT MAKES BLOOD SHOOT OUT OF MY EYES!!...but ya know what, maybe ill just get the kit, stretch it an inch, than widen it 2 inches!...just for spite!! THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF WOOD BOATS! To back up your statement, the main reason that I was interested in this hull,was THE AWESOME PRICE! now im stopped because of a possible rule difference......I THINK NOT!!
Bill I hear you BUT wouldn't it be simpler just to have the voices heard & let the boat run as is? What about the guys who can't do a re-work, why should they be left out? Why not just let them buy a really nice, easy to build kit at a really GREAT price without having to re-engineer the #@%#ing thing. The Zippkit thunderboat didn't just show up yesterday, this boat was displayed at LAST YEAR'S NAMBA WinterNats so they've known about it! There's a pic on the website of Roger Newton holding it up there at that race! THIS is the kind of sxxt that tears me up, one minute people ***** about how the two orgs. are so far apart then for the sake of an inch or two further widen the rift not to mention keeping out one of the best boating values to come to us in YEARS!! :angry:

Although I will unfortunately miss the Thunderboat race in Orlando , I will be there racing four boats and will actively pursue the positive reasons why this kit should be allowed . All you see is old men racing anymore (I'm one of them ) We need new blood big time . I built my first RC boat at 24 years of age , a Drag N Fly 40 , I was urged to go race even though it wasn't state of the art . I had a blast ! Now all my boats will break the bank , it's got to get easier and cheaper to foster a new wave of participant to keep it going . Hail the Thunderboat !!

Bill I hear you BUT wouldn't it be simpler just to have the voices heard & let the boat run as is? What about the guys who can't do a re-work, why should they be left out? Why not just let them buy a really nice, easy to build kit at a really GREAT price without having to re-engineer the #@%#ing thing. The Zippkit thunderboat didn't just show up yesterday, this boat was displayed at LAST YEAR'S NAMBA WinterNats so they've known about it! There's a pic on the website of Roger Newton holding it up there at that race! THIS is the kind of sxxt that tears me up, one minute people ***** about how the two orgs. are so far apart then for the sake of an inch or two further widen the rift not to mention keeping out one of the best boating values to come to us in YEARS!! :angry:
I absolutly agree...100%...logic should always overule anger, it is just **** frustrating sometimes... for cryin out loud its just a **** hobby!! and some of these differences are so trivial, but they ARE just enough to keep new people from getting involved in what is still a GREAT HOBBY!!

Although I will unfortunately miss the Thunderboat race in Orlando , I will be there racing four boats and will actively pursue the positive reasons why this kit should be allowed . All you see is old men racing anymore (I'm one of them ) We need new blood big time . I built my first RC boat at 24 years of age , a Drag N Fly 40 , I was urged to go race even though it wasn't state of the art . I had a blast ! Now all my boats will break the bank , it's got to get easier and cheaper to foster a new wave of participant to keep it going . Hail the Thunderboat !!

Hey Tom, thats a great shot......THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!!

Hey guys think i know what Als Waters will say (the usual) run the proposed Thunder-Boat Class under some club rules, sort out any problems during the season then do a vote to adopt the rules for NAMBA. I totally agree with this process and would think a club thats on top of this would have the rights to validate length, width & power requirements for NAMBA per voter approval.

I understand the Gas guys want a large scale(ish) hydro, in my opinion as long as they look like a noticable jump in size over the Nitro/FE Scale class size shouldn't matter. I think the budget minded Zipp Kits are awesome and it would be ashamed if they were not included in the proposed T-Boat class. I respect Remys(AM) opinion on size also for shipping purposes. This not only will curtail cost manufacturers but `racer shipping a boat to a race' shipping costs also. Vital to the success of this proposed class.

If your wondering why an FE guy would give a sh(^, were also looking to eventually join in on the T-Boat fun. Although will probably wait till you gentleman get this sorted out. LOL :p

Don and everyone. NAMBA is not run by a "Strong Board" there is no Board that you submit rules to for approval. We are a member driven organization and as such all rules are submitted by a District to the membership as a whole. The biggest problem that we have had in NAMBA with Gas rules is that the district with the largest gas racing seldom submits rules for a National vote then people assume their local rules are all powerful NAMBA rules. All it takes in NAMBA to get a rule through to the membership for a vote is for a district to run it for one season then submit it for a membership vote at the national level. All people need to do rather than complain that a boat is not legal is, run it in their district and submit a rule for a vote. The last I knew we have no NAMBA rule about classic thunder boats. District 19 has a set of rules they are trying out but it is not a National class at this point because no one has taken the time to submit a proposal for a vote. Bottom line guys if you want to allow these kits, get off you butts and write a proposal and submit it for a vote. Heck in the time I see people spending on this board bitching about how wrong things are they could have spent the time typing up the rules and got them passed.

Back