Cheap .21?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.... I knew I'd get somebody's attention here..... lol... You have to keep in mind the last time I actively raced, D2 didn't have the mono point series in place yet.... At the time 20 mono was considered an entry level class at best, "bumper boats" at the worst...lol Obviously at the time the class did not attract too many of what I call "serious racers"... those who know how to optimize setups and stay on top of technology..

Sure I ran my K&B quite successfully against many a novarossi... My advantage was I paid attention to such things as prop preparation, turbulence around the prop, drive line drag, engine positioning, balance, pipes and water cooling, whereas it appeared the majority of my competition wasn't so aware of the importance of those kind of things...

I realize nowadays the level of competition in the district has really ratcheted a few notches, and I will admit the ol' K-boomer may be a bit overmatched, even with my abilities...lol one reason I finally retired that engine..

I currently have equipment that's probably considered 3 years out of date... But if I could afford to re-enter active racing again, given some time to really work with my setup, I believe I could still run with the best in the district. Some folks seen that Wild Thing run last week with some of the first of my prop experiments....

HVAC25000 said:
Hi. A friend of mine is looking to get in to A mono and needs a cheap .21. I've searched for a while, and the only .21 marine I can find is made by O.S. for about 300 dollars. That's a bit steep considering that the only difference between a .21 marine and .21 buggy is the head.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

101436[/snapback]

Chris,

The $139 O.S. is the way to go for a new inexpensive motor. O.S. has been known for quality for a long time. A more expensive motor will give the potential to go faster but it doesn't mean you will go faster. You should see the number of $500+ motors that look like they are sitting still compared to a well setup boat. And if you want to look 10 mph faster then learn how to hold an inside lane. That is the cheapest speed.

Terry Keeley said:
A guy in our club got a side exhaust OPS 21 pretty cheap, $185 with a pipe is tough to beat, good motor too!
http://www.aeromarinerc.com/

101457[/snapback]

Im the guy in the club that bought the OPS .21 SE for $185 us that Terry mentioned this motor has been a nightmare the motor would not shut dowm when carb is in closed position i have had two of the motor experts in the club looking at the motor the carb throat has been sealed with silicone there now suspecting and air leak at the front bearing i would accepted this if i bought the motor used for $20 due to this issue i was not able to race my Wildthing mono which i spent 6 months building . I should of spent the $ 400 and bought a CMB. Regards Andris Golts

David Homer said:
Here's my two bits....  Wasn't that long ago, at least in the state of Michigan.... I ran a 3.5 mono that was pretty hard to beat....  Engine of choice??  K&B!!!  Got a stack of trophies sitting here attesting to the fact my $250 boat beat many a $300 engine...  It was funny seeing the Saginaw club gather around that boat before the races... Had some Fort Wayne guys wondering aloud if I had K&B sponsorship... Even took home some hardware from the Chicago area....Yes, my "Saginaw world beater" got toasted in the Fort Wayne Internats.... but that was a completely different level of competition.
A few years back I built a new mono around a CMB greenhead, been working with that off and on, but haven't been able to race it yet...  My advice is go ahead with the lower cost equipment... but spend a lot of time learning about propellers, setup, trim and balance.  Go to the pond, experiment, and learn your equipment.  Make sure you can consistently run out a tank of fuel.  Make sure the boat will run at part throttle as well.  Get prepared for various water conditions...  If you can set up a course and practice running around it... 

I think you will find, at least on the local/regional level, you will achieve a degree of success.....

101835[/snapback]

Hello!!

I'm Pat!! I may be remembered from Nitro days but play with gas now!! I have a couple .21 OPS and Picco .21's laying around with new bearings and gaskets and rings and pistons and sleeves that since I have no use for them I could make a new boater a right good deal on them?? Make me an offer I need the space in my shop!! Have a nice day!!

Later!!

Pat

HVAC25000 said:
My sentiments exactly. When I see 5 old boats that only cost a few hundred dollars going 40mph around the pond, and all 5 finish, then I see 3 top of the line boats that cost probably upwards of 2500 dollars going 70mph and 2 collide and sink faster than rocks, guess which class I'd rather race in? Well, ofcourse I would rather have a 2500 dollar boat, but it's just not practical in any way for a new racer, so I went the other way.
I'm revisiting an old thread while researching .21 engines. I did a bit of research on the subject of consistant finishes. At our recent district race only 11 out of 60 boats finished all of their heats. My 1980s design stock K&B B tunnel was one of the 11. :) This leaves quite a bit of opportunity for a person who focuses on consistancy rather than being the fastest boat.

I agree with a lot of the things that are said here on this subject. This hobby has turned into a motor of the week or a boat of the week club. It is sort of like Nascar what wins on sunday sells on monday. When I started this hobby I had a head start because I was flying airplanes. But I have been modeling since I was a boy. There is nothing wrong with buying used or cheap motors or boats. A lot of people that talk about how much a top motor cost or how much a top boat are member of the club above. The best advice is to watch the differance boats and then chose the boat that you think is the best. Shop for that boat buy it used or buy it new I makes no differance there are a lot of good boats out there for sell. Then buy a motor of some kind nothing wrong with cheap here. Then start working with the boat and motor setup. You will be surprized that this boat will run pretty good and the more you run and race it the more you will learn. People watch my race partner and myself run our twins and other boats and yes we make it look easy. But you are looking at two guys that have been modeling for a total of about 80 years combined. Find these guys talk to these guys they will help you in any way that they can all you have to do is ask. I will tell anything that anyone wants to know about boats or motors. All you have to do is listen.

Mark Bullard

Back