Charleston stock/outlaw 40 tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care about anything but finishing all my heats, thats the key to the game. Just pray for some flat water so the event becomes racing, not survival of weather. Sure hope you can handle the horsepower of your stocker, Gene puts some fine OS motors out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care about anything but finishing all my heats, thats the key to the game. Just pray for some flat water so the event becomes racing, not survival of weather. Sure hope you can handle the horsepower of your stocker, Gene puts some fine OS motors out there.
HOPE SO RANDY!!!! USALLY HAVE GERAGHTY DO ALL MY STUFF BUT GENE DID ONE FOR ME TOO, SO I WILL BRING THEM BOTH!!! HEARD ALOT OF GOOD STUFF ABOUT MONGAR

Ran the Aquacraft muffler this weekend that I posted initially in this thread. Adapted it to a 8702 K&B water cooled motor. Did not set the world on fire by any means but is was fairly QUIET and easy to needle and ran well from mid range to full throttle. Lap times were similar to the air cooled K&B can muffler we have been testing. Actually best lap was .25 seconds faster but that could be day,prop & tune. Will keep working with it and may be the race set up we bring to Charleston.

Mic

pipes_015.jpgpipes_012.jpg A simple piece of 1/4 aluminum a drill & file. Not pretty just to run the pipe. I drilled a pass through for the waterline to preheat water going around the head button not to cool the exhaust. Sorry about the messy workbench getting 9 boats ready for the Worlds.

pipes_008.jpg I suggest you mount the powerhead as a "Sidewinder" as otherwise you really have to cut the lower. Sidemount moves weight foreward and to the inside for a turn. We have been testing these so you may see this setup at Charleston <_< :rolleyes:

Tom hope this gives you some ideas

Guys,I've been watching this, soaking it all in, giving it some thought. I was probably the first to show up with a CMB "stock" motor. HUM! Maybe ya'll should blame all this on me?

I had several motors laying around and just started thinking how to make the muffler fit to run in this class. It worked well. I think I have had some speed on the other boats but if you looks at who won the last few years for some reason my name is not there? Seems I've heard somewhere...the fastes boat does not always win!

Back to the mufflers, I"ve always been told if it has a taper it is not just a muffler. I'm thinking "now" that the best thing to do here is make a rule that you have to run a K/B muffler. Everyone should be able to get there hands on one pretty easy. It may be too late this year to do so. Anyway I'm coming to have some fun, if I win it's a plus, if I don't it sure won't be the first time! What ever is decided it is ok with me!

Let's start the clock, throw them in and go racin!

See you all soon!

Mark
Mark,

AMEN. I thought the original plan way back when was one can used, because it eliminated any misinterpretation as to eligibility. They are little toy boats. It is 50/50 anytime you throw one in either it runs or doesn't. In order to finish first, first you must finish. We are going there to have fun, to make new friendships and renew old ones. Most of us don't get to see each other but once a year, we race our own districts, and this is our Daytona, our Superbowl. It is unfortunate the economy has put a lot of our friends out of touch for this year, Kris and his wife can't make it over, our friends down South America way won't be here, Moron has chained himself to his boats, and the Godfather and Fingers and Guido are working overtime to come.

We've come a long way since '05, it just keeps gettin' better.

Randy

P.S. Grim, I already put your present in the trailer. :D

DOG!

Grim

Ran the Aquacraft muffler this weekend that I posted initially in this thread. Adapted it to a 8702 K&B water cooled motor. Did not set the world on fire by any means but is was fairly QUIET and easy to needle and ran well from mid range to full throttle. Lap times were similar to the air cooled K&B can muffler we have been testing. Actually best lap was .25 seconds faster but that could be day,prop & tune. Will keep working with it and may be the race set up we bring to Charleston.
Mic
Mic,

It might pay to test more props.. The muffler works best around 14 to 15K.. keep us posted..

Grim

Mic
Mic,

It might pay to test more props.. The muffler works best around 14 to 15K.. keep us posted..

Grim
Mike thanks for the heads up on props. What little we ran it pulled easily out of turns with a X448. 450-452 next. I had to really did into my parts dept to find a sleeve under 186 degrees on the exhaust.

Tom yes the pipe was quieter than a normal muffled tune pipe.

Mic, outboard powerhead has to face forward. Let's see where is my rule book??

Just kidding dude. Very cool!

Looks radical. But what happens when the rooster tail from another boat adds water injection into the carb.
3 ways to avoid this.

1. stay in front af the pack

2. Make sure your boat can stay on the inside lane as a rooster on the left side doesn't pose a threat

3. A small shield in front of the intake.

I prefer #1

i'd still add #3 , mic ;) . kinda wondering if the airflow straight across the mouth of the carb has any effect...........

Looks radical. But what happens when the rooster tail from another boat adds water injection into the carb.
3 ways to avoid this.

2. Make sure your boat can stay on the inside lane as a rooster on the left side doesn't pose a threat

I prefer #1
How about when you're lapping me...............................

3 ways to avoid this.

I prefer #1
How about when you're lapping me...............................
The sandbagging begins :p B) :p

i'd still add #3 , mic ;) . kinda wondering if the airflow straight across the mouth of the carb has any effect...........
Robin,

Hard to measure any effect on the airflow across the carb. At our speeds I do not think it is any negative or positive factor. Airplanes draw directly to the front at much higher speeds. I think most of our power is in the fuel as our air-fuel ratio is much less than conventional gas motors. At present we draw from the rear on an OB and the engine & flywheel are kind of the shield. I have thought if I ran an OB hydro I would try the piston and carb forward. Would take a little ingenuity to make a mount & header but you could run a straight pipe since it would not stick that far aft. Fun to try different approaches. Maybe Terry Trott will mount his twin Rossi's apposed with pipes to the back. That would look cool.

Mic

Robin,

Hard to measure any effect on the airflow across the carb. At our speeds I do not think it is any negative or positive factor. Airplanes draw directly to the front at much higher speeds. I think most of our power is in the fuel as our air-fuel ratio is much less than conventional gas motors. At present we draw from the rear on an OB and the engine & flywheel are kind of the shield. I have thought if I ran an OB hydro I would try the piston and carb forward. Would take a little ingenuity to make a mount & header but you could run a straight pipe since it would not stick that far aft. Fun to try different approaches. Maybe Terry Trott will mount his twin Rossi's apposed with pipes to the back. That would look cool.

Mic
He is ! and it does look cool

shane

Back