Charleston Model Boaters, 2007 National Outboard Tunnel Championships

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only ask because Mike Crawford and I are planning to come down and I have only driven one of his boats once...... I am just now finishing a "sport" tunnel and a "D" 7.5 tunnel.... and of course the 48" Gas Tunnel that he and I are working on (which I am most definelty NOT racing...... if it is ready, he will be driving that one).
I race rc cars (both on the oval and the road course) and I fly planes, but have not gotten much water time with a boat yet. With our water as hard as it is and not much chance of it softening up prior to us coming down there, I would hesitate to enter the regular class.

If I were to practice on Friday and find that I thought I could do alright, would I still be able to sign up at the race?

Thanks

Bill
Bill,

RACE THE BOAT.. DO NOT BACK OUT REGARDLESS of your skills....

Grimracer has spoken and you must listen.. (Jedi wave)..

Tell Mike I said Hi

Grim

I race rc cars (both on the oval and the road course) and I fly planes, but have not gotten much water time with a boat yet. With our water as hard as it is and not much chance of it softening up prior to us coming down there, I would hesitate to enter the regular class.
If I were to practice on Friday and find that I thought I could do alright, would I still be able to sign up at the race?
With car and plane experience, you'll do fine driving boats. What you'll need to work on is the mechanics of racing. Read through the rules to get an idea of how the race is run and what you can and can't do during the race. And then make sure you get a good pit man to talk you through the racing. Something to remember during your first few heats is you can't win if you don't finish. Focus on getting the timing of the start, maintaining your lane, and driving the course.

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement....

Funny the idea of having to finish a race in order to win it is the same thing I tell my racers here at the track.... (we have an indoor carpet race track at my shop). I am sure Mike will be talking me through the sequence of the racing and helping me prepare my boats.... after all I am sure he will want his boats (Woodstuff Racing Outboards) to perform well even if they are in the hands of a novice.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :unsure: I must race the boat.... :eek: :p :rolleyes: (under the influence of Grim's Jedi powers he he)

See you all in March, I guess I better get the entry forms filled out and sent in.....

Bill

Sweet! Last I talked to Mike he said he wasnt going to be able to make it down! Thats great that you guys are coming, cant wait to see the new gas tunnel!

~James

PS, we had a couple first time racers at last years race and they did just fine!

Looks like the Smack talk Champions are not up to a repeat performance. Do y'all need some incentive? A prize? Or maybe just someone to pick on you.

I like how Clegg posted pics of his custom painted Villain. Shameless plug, guess he thinks that will earn him brownie points towards a best looking boat award. I hate to inform you that there will be many examples of Rustys work at the race including some Mod-VP's which we all know look much better than fork bow boats. And what of this twin engine boat? Don't you know that boat was designed for ONE engine? Why don't you put 3 or even 4 motors on it since you believe that more cubic inches means more speed. If stern weight becomes a problem I am sure you can find a way to mount some of the motors on the bow......"tractor drive".

Silent too has been the Jackleg...oh...I mean Jacksonville gang. These guys bring all kinds of good things to the races with them, now only if they could bring some boats that would run. Quit searching for that "magic bullet" prop. Lord only knows how many good props these guys have destroyed hoping to find that special one that will make their tunnels run 80 mph. Bushel baskets full of props now good only for melt down. At least you are keeping Octura, Sholund and ABC in business. Tonya had a perfect score in the Ogeechee summer race last year. 4 heats, 4 blow overs. Has Jr. scored with the girls? Is that why he is not here?.....I doubt it. Where is Aunt B? In jail? Oh I know you guys are coming....just remember to bring some of that special fuel that I like so much!!

Grimracer...are you going to just sit on your wonderful victory from last year and remain silent? I expected better. Surely the corporate life has not made you feel unworthy of slinging some mud.

Byrdman...I'm sorry your boat died in the smack talk shootout last year, but that is no reason to give us the silent treatment. We have video evidence that you were giving Grim a run for his money. Do you still have "Sideshow Bob"? How many times are you going to bring this poor tunnel boat back from the dead? Is there any of the original fiberglass in it or has it all been replaced? Talk about getting your moneys worth out of a boat!

John Knight...All those district high point awards last year...sheesh, you should pay extra for all those trophys. I'll say one thing you are determined. This man CLAWED his way from dead last like a man gone mad in Mod-VP to win the point title by the skin of his teeth. Got a free boat out of the deal and already sent it to Rusty for custom paint work. (Refer to the paragraph about Clegg)

AI got to go but I have more people on my list :ph34r:

Looks like the Smack talk Champions are not up to a repeat performance. Do y'all need some incentive? A prize? Or maybe just someone to pick on you.
I like how Clegg posted pics of his custom painted Villain. Shameless plug, guess he thinks that will earn him brownie points towards a best looking boat award. I hate to inform you that there will be many examples of Rustys work at the race including some Mod-VP's which we all know look much better than fork bow boats. And what of this twin engine boat? Don't you know that boat was designed for ONE engine? Why don't you put 3 or even 4 motors on it since you believe that more cubic inches means more speed. If stern weight becomes a problem I am sure you can find a way to mount some of the motors on the bow......"tractor drive".

Silent too has been the Jackleg...oh...I mean Jacksonville gang. These guys bring all kinds of good things to the races with them, now only if they could bring some boats that would run. Quit searching for that "magic bullet" prop. Lord only knows how many good props these guys have destroyed hoping to find that special one that will make their tunnels run 80 mph. Bushel baskets full of props now good only for melt down. At least you are keeping Octura, Sholund and ABC in business. Tonya had a perfect score in the Ogeechee summer race last year. 4 heats, 4 blow overs. Has Jr. scored with the girls? Is that why he is not here?.....I doubt it. Where is Aunt B? In jail? Oh I know you guys are coming....just remember to bring some of that special fuel that I like so much!!

Grimracer...are you going to just sit on your wonderful victory from last year and remain silent? I expected better. Surely the corporate life has not made you feel unworthy of slinging some mud.

Byrdman...I'm sorry your boat died in the smack talk shootout last year, but that is no reason to give us the silent treatment. We have video evidence that you were giving Grim a run for his money. Do you still have "Sideshow Bob"? How many times are you going to bring this poor tunnel boat back from the dead? Is there any of the original fiberglass in it or has it all been replaced? Talk about getting your moneys worth out of a boat!

John Knight...All those district high point awards last year...sheesh, you should pay extra for all those trophys. I'll say one thing you are determined. This man CLAWED his way from dead last like a man gone mad in Mod-VP to win the point title by the skin of his teeth. Got a free boat out of the deal and already sent it to Rusty for custom paint work. (Refer to the paragraph about Clegg)

AI got to go but I have more people on my list :ph34r:

LOL! What a beaut!! Did not leave many out so get them on the rebound. It took me all year to climb the ladder but finally did it and earned the boat prize the hard way. But was very sweet to do it and the highlight of the year.

Come on guys, the race deadline is 6 weeks away, March 15th. We are up to 76 entries and many of the so called "BIG DOGS" are still in hiding. Get out of the dog house and get the entries in. This is THE Tunnel race of all Tunnel races. Largest EVER held so do not miss it. And is where you EARN a great racing reputation and get to meet many of the best of the best.

John,You would think them ther chintzee panzis could crawl out from under they're adjoining caves and try to start some shzit.Well, I'am thinking ther just to scared or cold or drunk or sick or possibly gay to man up and voice there useless jimberish, YES this means you Clegg,Don,Whatwells,Grimsey,yall'll ready to get your azzes kicked!! come on and get ya some

***** Disclaimer***** To the new guys coming to this race for the first time, or people reading and deciding to come or not, the following (and above) is fictional. Its the way we get ready for the race. We are like a big family (except for those Atwell boys, they are just weird) when we are at the pond. Dont take this the worng way!

Wow... Poole. Im impressed, shocked, and not the least bit intimidated. I would expect that kind of meaningless garble to come from Hearle or Tonya, but not you. You must have been a "closet" smack talker? Anyway, thanks for joining in the fun, I like the idea of adding one more reciever to the lashings set forth by me.

Hearle... Are you new? Is it your first day? Come on genius, I know you can do better, atleast learn how to spell so your futile attempt at Smack Talk can be understood.

John, just because you now have a tunnel or two, dont think that gives you the right to run with the big dogs. These tunnel classes actually have more than 3 boats, and are loaded with stiff competition, unlike the district hydro classes that you "wrapped up" the last couple years. You just better be glad I am in Germany and didnt run my tunnel in .20 hydro again... would hate for you to get smoked again by an outboard.

Mike, Zaborowski, Grim, Grimracer, the artist formally known as... whatever the hell you call yourself nowadays.... Jedi Wave?? WTF? Nothing like a self proclaimed ruler-of-all huh? I happen to believe all those Hobbico boys have been catering to your "Star Status" and now your head is so big, you need an enclosed trailer to bring it to the races with you. Youve been bouncing around the world with your little buddy Russ, China, Taiwan, Micronesia or wherever, and you are now off of your game dude. Come on man, save some of that oxygen for the rest of the normal people (like me) instead of waisting it on all of the hot air coming out of your trap. You know what will be cool? Beating you with your old boat!

Tonya, youre probably mad at me about not responding to your PM yet? Its ok, you probably have a right to be, but just know that I still love you man. I am also very much looking forward to that stufff your gonna cook again this year. It was great! However, you still SUCK, and Ill wait to hear what you have to say before I go off on you and your entourage, because that is worthy of its own separate post.

Carl Van Houten

Mike Talley

Mike Rushing

Don Reik

Mike Z. and crew

Steve Cirmella

Allen Amick

John Otto

Ron Byrd

Steve Hearle

Wade Daughtry

David Ashmore

Harry Harper

Dan Croxdale

The Shavers

YOU GUYS HAVENT EVEN ENTERED YET!!!

whats the problem? need a stamp? a pen? permission from the wife? get on with it. Get you entries in already...

Weve got 76 entered right now, WITHOUT the above. I know when they enter, we are gonn have one heck of a race on our hands!

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
John,You would think them ther chintzee panzis could crawl out from under they're adjoining caves and try to start some shzit.Well, I'am thinking ther just to scared or cold or drunk or sick or possibly gay to man up and voice there useless jimberish, YES this means you Clegg,Don,Whatwells,Grimsey,yall'll ready to get your azzes kicked!! come on and get ya some

Steve,

Since you have NOT entered yet (as of yesterday), how can anyone get anything of what you think you will dish out? Words canot harm anyone as you well know! Come on and enter and give (or at least try, feeble in some people's minds) a whooping of their butts. Otherwise it is just a bunch of hot air.

Entry is going out monday, then a will resume on the smacking,for now i will just caress my boats and whisper in their pipes

Need to get my entry sent in shortly. Been waiting to see if my Gasser will make it this year or not. Still waiting on the Lawless lower to show up.

Smack me...oooooohhh....

Expect my (our) entry soon beggar boys..

Hum.. whom will be joining grimracer for the trip this year?

Making it TWO in a row is going to be my PLEASURE..

I have my rubber chicken that shits candy and we are coming back to play boats..

Grim

I love the way the smack talk goes,

it's a pleasure reading Mark Poole and James C

Gabe, you bring so many boats, you will be confused what boat to start which race< I hope your pitman will save you there......

And Grim, mr Jedi, indeed James I agree wtf all his names, well I know here in my wooden-shoe -country we say he talks like a CHICKEN without a head ( =don't listen to what the man says), besides such a big winner has to come, you cannot chicken out..LOL

Off the record: I was a rookie last year, but felt like a winner with all the great guys around me, so driving boats, is FUN......No novice class necessary

Ronald.

***** Disclaimer***** To the new guys coming to this race for the first time, or people reading and deciding to come or not, the following (and above) is fictional. Its the way we get ready for the race. We are like a big family (except for those Atwell boys, they are just weird) when we are at the pond. Dont take this the worng way!

Wow... Poole. Im impressed, shocked, and not the least bit intimidated. I would expect that kind of meaningless garble to come from Hearle or Tonya, but not you. You must have been a "closet" smack talker? Anyway, thanks for joining in the fun, I like the idea of adding one more reciever to the lashings set forth by me.

Hearle... Are you new? Is it your first day? Come on genius, I know you can do better, atleast learn how to spell so your futile attempt at Smack Talk can be understood.

John, just because you now have a tunnel or two, dont think that gives you the right to run with the big dogs. These tunnel classes actually have more than 3 boats, and are loaded with stiff competition, unlike the district hydro classes that you "wrapped up" the last couple years. You just better be glad I am in Germany and didnt run my tunnel in .20 hydro again... would hate for you to get smoked again by an outboard.

Mike, Zaborowski, Grim, Grimracer, the artist formally known as... whatever the hell you call yourself nowadays.... Jedi Wave?? WTF? Nothing like a self proclaimed ruler-of-all huh? I happen to believe all those Hobbico boys have been catering to your "Star Status" and now your head is so big, you need an enclosed trailer to bring it to the races with you. Youve been bouncing around the world with your little buddy Russ, China, Taiwan, Micronesia or wherever, and you are now off of your game dude. Come on man, save some of that oxygen for the rest of the normal people (like me) instead of waisting it on all of the hot air coming out of your trap. You know what will be cool? Beating you with your old boat!

Tonya, youre probably mad at me about not responding to your PM yet? Its ok, you probably have a right to be, but just know that I still love you man. I am also very much looking forward to that stufff your gonna cook again this year. It was great! However, you still SUCK, and Ill wait to hear what you have to say before I go off on you and your entourage, because that is worthy of its own separate post.

Carl Van Houten

Mike Talley

Mike Rushing

Don Reik

Mike Z. and crew

Steve Cirmella

Allen Amick

John Otto

Ron Byrd

Steve Hearle

Wade Daughtry

David Ashmore

Harry Harper

Dan Croxdale

The Shavers

YOU GUYS HAVENT EVEN ENTERED YET!!!

whats the problem? need a stamp? a pen? permission from the wife? get on with it. Get you entries in already...

Weve got 76 entered right now, WITHOUT the above. I know when they enter, we are gonn have one heck of a race on our hands!

~James
LOL...

James James James... We are going to be there. I have got about 6 more boats to build before I get thereI have a few VERY HOT orders out before I get strung up by the neck! I have been busy working on some new stuff too. We look forward to the race.

Talley has a new Twin Outboard made just for you!

-Carl,

I love the way the smack talk goes,
it's a pleasure reading Mark Poole and James C

Gabe, you bring so many boats, you will be confused what boat to start which race< I hope your pitman will save you there......

And Grim, mr Jedi, indeed James I agree wtf all his names, well I know here in my wooden-shoe -country we say he talks like a CHICKEN without a head ( =don't listen to what the man says), besides such a big winner has to come, you cannot chicken out..LOL

Off the record: I was a rookie last year, but felt like a winner with all the great guys around me, so driving boats, is FUN......No novice class necessary

Ronald.

:ph34r: Welcome back, my friends.... Seems to be more of the same ol' BS being slung out there in toy boat land. Everybody has their shiznit all tuned up from the way it sounds.

Gabe, stock boat looks so pretty, all that clear coat and paint..... paint it buoy orange and park it offshore.. itll look good sitting dead somewhere.

Carl, got the kittys ready? I renamed my 20 stock "Tallywhacker", and the Shaman will be "TallyHO"... set up as a 40 stk.

Hearl, did you get food for your little dog OTTO...he gets mean when he hasn't eaten... Biskit and Gravy KEN L RATION and some snausages......

GRIM, coming back to the scene of the crime, huh? come getcha' some..........

YO, J'Ville gang, lets go racing.

Jesse, Time to Rob the Train......

sincerely,

The TUNNEL BOAT MAFIA

Florida Chapter

The ATwells

Drake

Whiddon

Premo

i'm lookin' forward..3 boats entry, B stock, B mod, D...newbie from indiana,,,sweet 9 hours drive..might go with OB NUT...but the thing i need coach during race.....form will be mail pretty soon.

jul

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunnel boat MAFIA..... ha ha

Girls, Girls, Girls.. You need to have a good set of weapons to be a MAFIA.. heck you dont even have a good MAFIA BOSS.. except maybe that smart A.. Jr Atwell... Love YA Jr.. to bad you have to have a Gorilla for a dad and a AUNT for an UNCLE...

See ya at the race...

Grim

Lets see....

Don Gilbert...tunneldon I think he goes by on here.

On thing nobody can accuse this guy of is being BRAND LOYAL. Lynx, HTB, Villain, Hornet, OMC and I am sure that I am forgetting about others. Probably got some old Prathers, Dumas, Aeromarine's, DPI's, Trophy's, Aerotec's and Lee's stored for back up. Owns every kind of outboard and lower unit known to man also. He and Clegg have this top secret engine program going, or so they like to think. Kinda like the Atwells and their propeller program. I will say one thing about Don though, he can really drive. Likes the inside lane so much that he will steal it from anybody. Go ahead, leave 6 inches between your boat and the buoy and see where Don puts HIS boat. He is a firm believer in the short way around the race course.

Mark Hopper.....

I'm really sticking my neck out here....nah...this is smack talk.

This guy builds some really nice and fast boats. Funny how his always seem to have that extra edge. Wonder if that is in his props, engines or maybe a secret hull trick. Maybe he is just a great driver....nah. Proof of that was last year when he sent me his own boat to race. Dang thing drove itself, all I had to do was crank it up and throw it in. My ego was inflating and my head was swelling after every heat. I was feeling like Bill Seebold and Terry Rinker....I could't lose!! I thrashed the competition with unyeilding speed and fury. When it was all over my fellow racers reminded me that without such a weapon I would never have been victorious. (and they were right). So here's to you Mr. Hopper. Come on over. There will be many of your own boats that you built waiting on you, their drivers foaming at the mouth like hungry wolves waiting to pounce. Better get out front and stay in lane one. (See above paragragh about Don)

Carl Van Houten....

Precision, engineering, laser line perfection and design. Prototypes. "We will race no boat before its time". All of that is evident in the form and design of Carls boats. Gosh, Carl would CRINGE at the way I go about building boats. Prototypes? What is that? I admire anyone who frames up a wooden ANYTHING, plane , boat, whatever. We all got spanked by one of his prototypes in Atlanta several years ago. You can talk shop with Carl but he's not telling all. He is one more of the many different characters that makes the sport so interesting. We know you've got something cooking for this race. The wolves are waiting.

Back