CAUTION Eye Protection Required

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i really like the metal flake paint jobs..... i have to learn how to do that.

looks cool man!

its very easy after a base color that is close to your flake color I brush on some resin then sprinkle a heavy coat of very fine glitter.when this is dry lightly knock down the high flake and coat with 2 thin coats of resin .wet sand being very carefull not to sand into the flake and give one more coat of resin.(I practiced on quite a few scraps first to get the desired effects,candy over the flake pearls ect)

View attachment 1912

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk me through this again, are you putting the flake on after you pull the hull from the mold or are you doing it in the mold?

it by all rights should be done in the inside of the mold but....this one is done after pulling it because I wasn't pleased with the way it turned out.so I mask off each color area, get the flake stuck on there then clear over it and carefully wet sand.easy

Know that look's cool blown and inj that baby's gonna fly you could call it the WATER DRAGGIN .

Very nice work are going to sell them.

If it looks that nice in the pic, be carefull, it just might blow women's undergarments right off in person! B)

What type of flake is that bud? Kinda makes me wanna go buy a bass boat... hehehe

You gotta love a sweet paintjob. Impressive

Hey thanks guys! this project has been months in the works , still need to install everything and get it to the lake.selling them, probably a few,I am going to show it to a guy locally who makes hardware and hulls as a possible outlet for them.

Its too bad metal flake doesn't photograph as good as it looks in person.

as far as the kind of flake, its found at craft shops ,its jewel glitter,ultra fine.

View attachment 1693

Dam that's really nice!

I just painted my drag boat last night. I was going to go fancy and spray several colors but the primer wasn't compatable with the paint and I had to sand it all down. :angry: I got lazy and painted it all black this time. :eek: I might add a red stripe or two, but that's it. I had alot of time in the first paint job and I don't want to do that again!

I'll post picts when it's done.

Dale P.

Great job Steve!

Hell, I have enough problems with the primer to even think of attempting that. :blink:

Awesome, that's funny you posted that because I was talking to Charles from Magnum Tunnels about doing a boat like that for me!

Ok Flyin..... so let me see if i understand.... so you prime the boat lets say gray. them you brush on resin (what kind/brand do you use). Now the different colors come from different color glitter? now 2 more coats, sand and 1 more coat?

Ok, under each color, lets say the orange, I used an orange base(finish resin with pigment for resin) because unless you applied 2 layers of flake there would be tiny areas that would show through as grey or the base color(usually looks like dirt or sawdust got into the flake)while the orange base is still tacky I pile the orange flake on heavy, then dump it off and collect it back up for later usage . Once the base dries I lightly tap down any unruly flakes and lightly blow or brush any loose flake away.Then give the orange flake a thin coat of clear or clear with transparent orange pigment(finishing resin) to bond it in place and to help keep the next colors from contaminating the orange (this must fully dry to keep other colors from sticking to it).once all colors are in place with one coat of clear on each, then clear coat them all to smooth the rough texture.this is where the importance of picking the finest flake possible becomes apparent.after this coat lightly sand off some of the high texture being carefull not to sand into the flake.one more coat and another wet sanding and it can be buffed out.I had a bad reaction with some of the "pearl" flake (looked like plastic instead of metal flake) it didn't allow the resin to cure(ever)

Also it helps to practice with some test spots on scrap or the back of a door ect

Here's a pic of the type of flake and resin I be usin'. :D

View attachment 1923

Back