Carb mods for using remote needle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter12195

When changing a needled carb to use with a Remote Needle setup, whats the best method for blocking off the needle hole on the carb and are there any other mods required or prefered??

Thanks for any input again!

Scott Norris

if the opening is brass, you can solder the hole shut. Make sure you clean it first with acetone to get the oil off and make sure you done solder the spray bar shut. :)

Why not just back the needle out as far as it will go and lock it down. This way you will be able to go back to it if the 3 rd needle fails or you decide to sell the motor.

Mike

It depends on the carb.... some I would agree with backing the needle off but only as a last option because it is just one more thing that 'may' fail...

Best option is with carbs where you can replace the whole needle assembly with just a fuel intake. Obviously need machining skills for that.

Soldering is ok again if you have the appropriate skills but not for beginners as you may end up with solder where you dont want it.

The ol set screw and locktite is my preferred advice if you dont have the above mentioned machining skills.

EMS Racing back in the saddle again

Mike Hughes said:
Why not just back the needle out as far as it will go and lock it down. This way you will be able to go back to it if the 3 rd needle fails or you decide to sell the motor.Mike

97970[/snapback]

Thought I would clarify my objection to your suggestion..... it is based on Rossi carbs from a few years back that had the 3rd channel remote on the carb. The weight of the remote unit combined with the engine vibrations meant a lot of the needle assemblies failed. Thats when they went to remote needles...

Sometimes the vibration can loosen the needle that you locked down, or the partial needle provides somewhere else for gunk in the fuel to get stuck, or the cavity around the needle combined with the vibration causes strange flow characteristics.....

Most of the time this wont be the problem... BUT Murphy watches over us and waits....

Thought I would clarify my objection to your suggestion..... it is based on Rossi carbs from a few years back that had the 3rd channel remote on the carb. The weight of the remote unit combined with the engine vibrations meant a lot of the needle assemblies failed. Thats when they went to remote needles...

Sometimes the vibration can loosen the needle that you locked down, or the partial needle provides somewhere else for gunk in the fuel to get stuck, or the cavity around the needle combined with the vibration causes strange flow characteristics.....

Most of the time this wont be the problem... BUT Murphy watches over us and waits....

97991[/snapback]

Craig, You have it right, leave any thing open for Murphy's law, and it will bite ya.

Attention to detail might keep might ya outa of trouble, if it's enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) I have to go with Mike Hughes way of doing it. back off the main needle and lock it down( rubber band or tie wire) then run the remote needle. if you have glitches in your radio or any fuel delivery problem its very easy to bypass the remote and go back to the for sure thing. but what do i know as I have never finished a race. geno :p

Back