Canards in Spt 20 and Spt 40 Impba

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Hildreth

I was just wondering why canards are not legal in these classes. Don't you guys think this is an outdated rule with the speeds and hull capabilities nowadays. I don't think they would have any major advantage.

Canards are legal, the rules just don't specify if a adjustable rear flap is allowed on a canard integrated into the front of the cockpit. Since the rules also don't specifically say a full wing canard is illegal, it just says it the canard can't exceed a given limit, I'm assuming you could install one but it may have to be hard mounted and nonadjustable. If that is what you're asking, about having adjustments, that's going to need to be answered by the IMPBA powers that be

Oh I'm sorry I didn't specify. I meant the hull. Like the circus circus canard. I don't understand why those can't be legal now.

On that subject. Something I would like also to see change in Sport 40 class is recessed transoms and vented hulls like the Bud T4 and rear skis. Just keep the transom width rule the same. We can hang the strut of the back now. Let's get some new hull designs out there.

Trying not to get the topic off of the subject Chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
On that subject. Something I would like also to see change in Sport 40 class is recessed transoms and vented hulls like the Bud T4 and rear skis. Just keep the transom width rule the same. We can hang the strut of the back now. Let's get some new hull designs out there.

Trying not to get the topic off of the subject Chuck.
Not sure whn that can be voted on again as it was addressed during the last sport update

True, a sport 40 or sport 20 would be a 5 point if it had rear shoes. A canard, like Chuck is referring to, would be a 4 point. Jack Kohlmeyer , (probably spelled that wrong) Is smiling down at you right now, Chuck. He would be all over this. Personally, I know this class is meant to keep everyone even. I get it. All three points. But the boats are evolving. They are pushing the rules to the limit. I don't see the big advantage a canard would have. Don't get me wrong. I still remember some very fast canard scales. But that's why we race. If the canard has to stay in the length width rules. Then I think there should be some discussion about it.

I remember seeing Stilettos running back in the late 80s/early 90s and they were fast as heck, for the time period. I'm thinking that may be part of the reason they were excluded from heat racing, some of them were faster than many of the riggers with similar drive trains

Did someone say 20 hydro Canard
default_wink.png

CanardBaby.PNG

Hi Brad ,

this looke aweresome , realy great . When does it hit the water .

Here i have the short clip of the tripple canard ,

Happy Amps Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
We always have 20 plus sport 40s at our races,if it is not broke why dick with it.

Back