Broken tap in engine mount

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get some Tap magic for Aluminum it works the best...
Great stuff ! Looks as though you did not slightly countersink the hole before tapping either !! Bad Boy ! I have had this happen and short of getting a new mount , you could drill and tap a new set of holes a 1/4 inch either way and be done with it . Be sure to check your tap drill chart and use a good 2 flute tap in aluminum wherever possible along with the tap magic , wd - 40 or kerosene , they all work well .

I would send it to Mike unless I had a source closer- thats the best way shy of buying new rails :huh: Whats the fitment and rail, I may have an extra.
Already sent a message to the speedmaster guys to inquire about a new rail.

It is part of a VMMDD mount. I don't see it on the old rossi sales site...but that is what the parts listed said to use. All the package says is "drop motor mount". It is for a .45 speedmaster mono.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I knew that it had to be a Speedmaster mount before I even looked! I've got one downstairs that I just had in my hands about an hour ago with pieces of tap stuck in it. Hard stuff, that's why I went to using the Octura Humm-Dinger mounts. Softer aluminum which makes it easier to tap. Once that was done I cut the channel off that goes under the engine and it's almost as light as the Speedmaster. A hacksaw will make quick work of that.

Ok...was doing the whole screw it in a few turns, back it out and clear the gap between the flutes thing...and still wound up breaking off the tap (first time in all the times I used taps...even my cheap HF ones...).
Anyhow, short of buy a new mount, anyone got any ideas one this one??

Click here to see pic.

There is only one piece sticking up, and it is not sticking up far enough to get a hold of (other piece in pic was loose.

Sean
Hi, Sean! I will remove it for you free. Boris

wd-40 cheap and found everywhere, my offer stands, you'll make a mess of it any other way.mb
PM sent.

Sean
If thats a 3 flut tap , I used 3 short peices of music wire(3in long) that just fit down the fluts,even thou they were a tight fit had to tap them down the flut,(I perfer tight,but not too tight, and oil )then I took a vice grip and twisted the music wire(all 3) counter clockwise(same direction backing it out).may work if the tap is not to buggerd up,or to tight. worked for me a few times and not. but your only out a dollar or two,with the music wire from your local hobbie shop or hardware store.

Where do I find something like that Terry?? I got the tap from lowes...and don't remember anything near them for lube...but was not looking for it...

BTW, I have some etchant for circuit boards...but would rather punch the tap out and use a nut than take a chance at the feric chloride eating the aluminum as fast as it eats the steel...thanks for the input though.

Sean
A 2 flue tap from machine bolt suppliers..... is by far better than a 4 flue from a Hardware house @ depot or lowes.

Where do I find something like that Terry?? I got the tap from lowes...and don't remember anything near them for lube...but was not looking for it...

BTW, I have some etchant for circuit boards...but would rather punch the tap out and use a nut than take a chance at the feric chloride eating the aluminum as fast as it eats the steel...thanks for the input though.

Sean
ok sean next time you want to tap a hole get you a good quality mac tools tap...im not partial..lol and use diesel fuel for lube on aluminum, it has alot of wax content to help the tap glide in the aluminum and works way better than tap magic in my opinion. the other taps to use are ones for industry like the 2 flute and 3 flute , and never go more than 1/4 turn then back it off and use compressed air to clean it as you cut and apply more lube, not rubbin it in but just the luck i have had ..good luck bud, i just broke one off in a custom made mount for my rigger you cannot buy you have to remachine at that point and that sux..lol

terry

To get it out without damage use the EDM as mentioned above, I saw this work, relatively quick and no damage. Any alkali or acid will eat the aluminum first!! If the mount rails dont cost that much I would buy a new set as the labor, shipping etc will cost more than a new set of rails.

I havent broken many taps in Aluminum, but 304 stainless I have broken many!!

good luck,

mike sr

You could always use a dremel with small tip and remove a small amount of aluminium from around the tap on the bottom of the mount ( where you cant see it when its in the boat )

then you should be able to get some small vise grips or pliers onto the point.

but you will have to turn the tap anti clockwise to get it out.

Mike's idea sounds best but.

Jason

Wow, 3 pages.....

Wack the bit off that sticks out and move all bolt holes alittle more then the holes you have done and make 4 NEW ones.

And put this on the learning account.

To lube a tap in alu use Ethanol or if you don`t have that, Methanol NO oil.

Anders

Ok...was doing the whole screw it in a few turns, back it out and clear the gap between the flutes thing...and still wound up breaking off the tap (first time in all the times I used taps...even my cheap HF ones...).
Anyhow, short of buy a new mount, anyone got any ideas one this one??

Click here to see pic.

There is only one piece sticking up, and it is not sticking up far enough to get a hold of (other piece in pic was loose.

Sean
There only one way to get out a broken tap . Find a shop with a edm machine .They can burn the tap out in a few minutes .Good luck!

EDM would be best. you can get a GOOD welder to weld a bolt to the tap & try to back it out. heat the mount with a propane torch, it will help some. been doing this sh*t for a living for 35 some years...... for a GOOD tap go to brownells.com - gunsmithing supplies B) . oh, yeah, use lube & countersink, as mentioned.

Sometimes if your lucky, and like you are with the hole going all the way through the part...you can sometimes put in a drill in a drill press, locate everything up...and start drilling. The drill will want to wander and grab but sometimes this is just enough to drive the tap or start it back out of the hole without doing too much damage to the bottom of your hole where there doen't have to be perfect threads. It is the butcher's way of doing it but it can save you in a tight spot. Grind a flat spot on the tip of the tap if you can see it, for a place for the drill to land. It will eventually heat up the drill, ruin its tip, and seize onto the tap and jerk it just enough to get past the chips and spinning again. Then try and grab it and turn with a pliers.

Best route is EDM or carbide end mill...other words, a machine shop.

mac tools #30505DS has saved my butt more times than i care to remember B) . mechanics length (short) cobalt left hand drill bit set. 5/64", 7/64", 5/32", 1/4", & 19/64". most times, they will grab & back out the offending part.

If thats a 3 flut tap , I used 3 short peices of music wire(3in long) that just fit down the fluts,even thou they were a tight fit had to tap them down the flut,(I perfer tight,but not too tight, and oil )then I took a vice grip and twisted the music wire(all 3) counter clockwise(same direction backing it out).may work if the tap is not to buggerd up,or to tight. worked for me a few times and not. but your only out a dollar or two,with the music wire from your local hobbie shop or hardware store.
Thats a cool idea.

I will be happy to EDM the tap out if you send it to me.
Mike Stutzman
Thats an even better idea!

-Buck-

Thats a cool idea.

Mike Stutzman

-Buck-
Now you got it. EDM, 2 flute tap, and good lube-I use a product called A-9 made for alum. and copper. and a small countersink on both sides of the hole.

Thats a cool idea.

Mike Stutzman

-Buck-
Now you got it. EDM, 2 flute tap, and good lube-I use a product called A-9 made for alum. and copper. and a small countersink on both sides of the hole.
And stay away from cheap azz taps! 2 flute taps are also refered to as gun taps-stronger than 3 or four flute.

Back