Bored at Work 2004.... .12 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I've been thinking about that goes along with your thinking is to "Hammer Cut" the rear end of the boat. You know, like the two sponsons pressed together but an exaggerated angle that comes down to a runnng surface. I'm not sure yet if it could be done but it's something to think about.

I added the outside sponsons to mine just because I didnt think the boat looked right without them. :lol: However they are set even with the center line of the shaft and I'm pretty sure they're not really needed.

Don :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don

Have you ever tried to run your rigger without the rear sponsons?

I Think could design that rear hammer cut if you would like. I think I know exactly what you have in mind. I'll do that at work tomorrow & post a picture for you.

Wade.

I put the rears on before the first run and and have never taken them off. It seems to run very well for a heat racer and I don't really want to do anything except work with props or maybe engine on this boat.

I've ordered some more composite and wood for a second boat but as yet, other than materials, the design is still roaming around in my head. :rolleyes:

Yes, I would love to see what you might be able to do with the HC rear end.

Don ;)

Don, read the post right above your last one. there is a pic of what i did with the hammer cut rear end

Does anybody know if a small ride pad or a V shape has less drag?

Mike

This is just an onion, so please take it as such... from discussions I have had, & the rambling thoughts in my head, a flat ride pad would provide less drag than a "V". A "V" will allow the surface to sink into the water further than a flat. The deeper the point of the "V" is in the water, the more surface area is in contact with the water, & the more water has to be moved out of the way when the object passes through it causing an increase in drag. Where as a flat surface parallel to the water surface will skim over the top, not allowing the object to sink into the water much at all so there will be less water contact. The less water contact, the less drag. Again, this is just an onion, not based on any scientific proof, or testing. What are some others thoughts?

Don Templeton said:
Wade.

I've ordered some more composite and wood for a second boat but as yet, other than materials, the design is still roaming around in my head.  :rolleyes:

Don ;)

73165[/snapback]

If you want, I could draw up the designs for you bassed on what you have roaming around your head. I could send you a 3 view plot of it when I am done, or I could send you a full scale plot of all the patterns you would need to cut out, or both!! :D I would be happy to do that for you.

wswatzell said:
This is just an onion, so please take it as such...  from discussions I have had, & the rambling thoughts in my head, a flat ride pad would provide less drag than a "V".  A "V" will allow the surface to sink into the water further than a flat. The deeper the point of the "V" is in the water, the more surface area is in contact with the water, & the more water has to be moved out of the way when the object passes through it causing an increase in drag.  Where as a flat surface parallel to the water surface will skim over the top, not allowing the object to sink into the water much at all so there will be less water contact.  The less water contact, the less drag.  Again, this is just an onion, not based on any scientific proof, or testing.  What are some others thoughts?
73175[/snapback]

Should help with launch, but after you are up on plane the waterline should be below hub of prop. One thing to consider is rough water, might disturb water in front of the prop from bouncing. We have had that problem with a center sponson before.

MikeP said:
Does anybody know if a small ride pad or a V shape has less drag?

Mike

73169[/snapback]

Mike,

I wouldn't expect a small ride pad to even touch the water or create any drag at speed with the proper prop. It should help at launch or milling. As far as the total V bottom it should take some lift out of the tub at speed but I don't think it would work well at lower speeds.

My 2 cents,

Don

wswatzell said:
Don ;)

73165[/snapback]

If you want, I could draw up the designs for you bassed on what you have roaming around your head. I could send you a 3 view plot of it when I am done, or I could send you a full scale plot of all the patterns you would need to cut out, or both!! :D I would be happy to do that for you.

73177[/snapback]

Wade, I appreciate the offer but I'm not even to that stage yet. If I need help, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Don :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool wade! B)

I also saw your HH #3 picture. Have you actually tried out those sponsons? They look to be only about 1/2" wide at the T.E. Just wondering.

Don ;)

Yup, they have been tried out. At the K-Zoo Fun Run this past summer, I ran it one & 1/2 times before the flex cable came out. :( & considering I was running the engine slobbering rich (breaking in the new motor) it preformed extremely well. Of course, I have no other .12 rigger experience to compare it to other than your Riptide .12 & Ron Olsen's HH.12 which has the same sponson setup as mine. Ron was having engine trouble, & never really got his to go. Yours was faster, but you weren’t running really rich either. Hopefully next year, we will be able to run ours together. Who knows, I might even have my BAW .12 built by then.

LOL!! Don, you got curiosity up about how wide there really are at the trailing edge... they are MUCH wider than 1/2", they are 5/8!!! :p :lol:

wswatzell said:
LOL!! Don, you got curiosity up about how wide there really are at the trailing edge...  they are MUCH wider than 1/2", they are 5/8!!! :p   :lol:
73564[/snapback]

I can't believe you're using 90 sponsons on that boat! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ernest2 said:
wade, what cadd software do you used in designing this boat?
ernest

73563[/snapback]

I am using KeyCreator. it is basically the next generation of CadKey

90 sponsons!!! :blink: Oh man, I guess I should make another set that is 1/8" wide at the T/E LOL!!! :lol:

Back