Bigger engines seem easier?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I was thinking about my boat designing, building and testing.. 15 years ago I was running a few bigger boats, 45- 67's ..etc,.. Didn't really know much a bout what I was doing. I didn't know how tuned pipes worked or anything. Got married, had kids,.. ran out of money..etc.. I started designing and building .12 riggers.. made ALOT of them. Then .21'a made a bunch of them too..

Now 45 size sport boats.. Man it just seems to me that the smaller the engine, the smaller the peak performance window is. A .12 boat can be really rewarding but it takes alot to get it running well and STAY running well..

My sport40 boat runs pretty good and I'm sure it will get better.. but it sure seems a lot easier to get going than a .21 or .12 boat to me..

Does this continue with a scale size boat? Is gas even easier? It's alot more fun when it's not so hard to do!!

Gas for sure is much easier not much to tune set the pipe get the right prop and you are done you don't have to play with the settings

and it comes back under power most times

it does seem the smaller motors are more finicky, but I have seen all size motors have problems but I think if you crunched the numbers your pretty much on track.

There is nothing worse than a 12-21 rigger not coming back to shore, where is a mono or conventional hydro I think tend to be forgiving on a problematic motor.

Can't help with nitro sizes, all i've ever run is .21. But gas is much easier, once set up properly. Not really a LOT easier to get the larger hulls set up, but the engines & pipes come much closer to having "standard" settings that work well. You tweak a little, get it right, & if it changes it prolly means something is failing. Unlike nitro, where the phase of the moon seems to affect tuning - LOL

Gas has it's fair share of problems. Ignitions going bad, diaghrams going bad, sheering timing keys,.... So you still need to do your homework with gas.

It's all about the right prop with gas, make sure you have friends to borrow props to test. Gas props are not cheap.

Yes it is!! That high pitched squeal is a sound i love. I have seen larger engines give folks fits, also. I think a large part of tuning ANY setup is how close to kill it's set. The closer to the edge, the finer the line. A large part of my love of .21's is the fuel economy. When i have to chase my tail, it's measured in ounces ( maybe a quart ) not gallons. I can race, test & play on a case a year (-:

Yeah. I love the super high rev sound. My 45 is thirsty for sure. I'll have that speed master 21 screaming. I think hydros will stay 45 and up for me.

Lets see? 3.5 cc put out 2.5 to 3 hp @ 35,000 rpms. so we all know what an 11cc, 15cc, or 27cc gas engine put out. so I don't understand where the .21 have no power.

I love my 20 boats. I think my 20 motors are a breeze compared to my .67 or larger.

Jim

Latest posts

Back