big block nitro racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should throw in an umlimited class..run what you brung like the old Indy days

You should throw in an umlimited class..run what you brung like the old Indy days
This race would be very close to "Run What Ya Brung"

I think Big Block Single Hydro, to include any legal IMPBA/NAMBA E/F, C/X Hydro would give the chance for Many racers to be involved.

Then also a Twin Hydro class. (any NAMBA/IMPBA legal Twin nitro hydro.)

I say "Hydro" and not "Rigger". This would allow any "it's not ant mono" to run. Some guys would prefer Riggers only, but in the end that puts limits on innovation. We would later find ourselves making rules for "what is a rigger?". Also it could go so far that we would have to make it a Crapshooter, Roadrunner, SGX only class because one day Jerry C might show up with his Seaducer with two mini sponsons hanging off each side.

I like to see innovation. If Jerry or anyone wants to run their Hydro that happens to look a lot like a mono then Great! If the Mono looking thingy wins then it will cause racers to get off the couch and make improvements to their "Hydros".

Larry Maglinger was King of the Hydro class with his Canards for several years in the mid 80's. The Crapshooters, and Coyotes of the day had little for him. Then one day some unknown kid from Florida showed up at the 1987 Internats with a rigger he called Mongoose. The best of the best Coyote and Crapshooter teams were there in Huntsville, Ala. looking for a coveted US-1 Championship. In the end, when the roostertails settled, Larry's Canard and the Mongoose were left standing for a one on one dual to determine the E hydro US-1 winner. The Mongoose rigger won the 6 lap side by side race with the Canard. A great number of rigger drivers were happy to see the result including Greg Hughey (the owner of Crapshooter) who shook my hand because my .67 Mongoose rigger out ran the ever dominant canard of Larry Maglinger.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very interesting thread. And I like all that has been said. But there is a lot of talk and would the people come or is it all talk. I can discuss with my fellow club members it they would like to do this.
Huntsville would be a great location to help draw a good attendance. Build it and they will come!

I think Big Block Single Hydro, to include any legal IMPBA/NAMBA E/F, C/X Hydro would give the chance for Many racers to be involved.

I say "Hydro" and not "Rigger". This would allow any "it's not ant mono" to run. Some guys would prefer Riggers only, but in the end that puts limits on innovation. We would later find ourselves making rules for "what is a rigger?". Also it could go so far that we would have to make it a Crapshooter, Roadrunner, SGX only class because one day Jerry C might show up with his Seaducer with two mini sponsons hanging off each side.

I like to see innovation. If Jerry or anyone wants to run their Hydro that happens to look a lot like a mono then Great! If the Mono looking thingy wins then it will cause racers to get off the couch and make improvements to their "Hydros".

Larry Maglinger was King of the Hydro class with his Canards for several years in the mid 80's. The Crapshooters, and Coyotes of the day had little for him. Then one day some unknown kid from Florida showed up at the 1987 Internats with a rigger he called Mongoose. The best of the best Coyote and Crapshooter teams were there in Huntsville, Ala. looking for a coveted US-1 Championship. In the end, when the roostertails settled, Larry's Canard and the Mongoose were left standing for a one on one dual to determine the E hydro US-1 winner. The Mongoose rigger won the 6 lap side by side race with the Canard. A great number of rigger drivers were happy to see the result including Greg Hughey (the owner of Crapshooter) who shook my hand because my .67 Mongoose rigger out ran the ever dominant canard of Larry Maglinger.
Why not just do Twin Nitro ?? that gives the chance to any boat IMPBA/Namba Legal Rigger, Mono, Cat,Tunnel, sport boat basically anything thats powered by Twin Nitro engines to enter ??? if we want to see inovation thats how its done. Let anything with Twin engines run the class.

I have seen Twin Outboard Tunnels, Twin Cats, Monos, Sport Hydros, Twin 12's,21's, 45's, 67's, 80's,90's and 101's i say let anything with 2 Nitro engines join the class no matter what hull it is

Why not just do Twin Nitro ?? that gives the chance to any boat IMPBA/Namba Legal Rigger, Mono, Cat,Tunnel, sport boat basically anything thats powered by Twin Nitro engines to enter ??? if we want to see inovation thats how its done. Let anything with Twin engines run the class.

I have seen Twin Outboard Tunnels, Twin Cats, Monos, Sport Hydros, Twin 12's,21's, 45's, 67's, 80's,90's and 101's i say let anything with 2 Nitro engines join the class no matter what hull it is
I think the idea is to make it a BIG BLOCK race. Any single hydro E/C or larger and any legal Twin nitro Hydro, which I think is Twin .67" to Twin 1.25" in IMPBA.

BIG BLOCK RACE! We want to make BIG SMOKE!
default_smile.png

A SPECTACULAR spectator event!

Well the only way you will find out if that works is to try to make it happen and put the wheels in motion.

I don't think there should be any kind of hull designation or eng class size designation. As long as it is under the maximum eng size and weight allowed under what ever group sanctions the race and it burns NITRO.

You want nitro to grow than take off the old chains and move to the future.

Andy what is the matter you think a SGX cant hold its own with a Seaducer in a twin class so now you have to put the Hydro label on it.

Run what you brung two classes single eng and multi eng that means as many as you want.

Lets see what you all got!!!

Is that not the point of a BIG DOG race?

I bet there are some great Ideas out there on making a fast boat if you take the chains OFF .

I don't think Andy is against a mono being in it. Some people do. And he is just trying to work with the interests involved.

It's funny. All this talk about a boat or boats that currently doesn't even exist. Lmao

A

I think the idea is to make it a BIG BLOCK race. Any single hydro E/C or larger and any legal Twin nitro Hydro, which I think is Twin .67" to Twin 1.25" in IMPBA.

BIG BLOCK RACE! We want to make BIG SMOKE!
default_smile.png

A SPECTACULAR spectator event!
IMPBA F Hydro limit is 1.83". Twin limit is 2.50". A twin 45 will have to run in the F Hydro class. Look at the total CID and if it equals .67" then I would think it be in the big block category. NAMBA and IMPBA class limits are not quite the same. I believe that IMPBA has the larger limits.

Danny is correct. I have no problem with racing against monos, but some racers do. We could make it a totally open hull race if that is what a majority wants.

My current thoughts about nitro mono, is the low turn out at races vs. the number of hydros. Seems like not many are interested in racing them.

How many potential Hyrdo racers would not attend if monos were allowed to compete?

Thoughts?

All I am saying is if you want the same old same old there are plenty of places to get that already.

You want to advance NITRO racing from the past you need to move forward.

The good old days are just that. We need new blood and to reinvigorate those still out there to advance the hobby.

Yes we are talking about things and boats that are not on the addenda yet.

You all keep falling back to what we already have that is not working.

Do you not think it is about time to try something different or just keep going till it is gone?

So time to here what the ones that will participate have to say. Those are the ones that matter not us computer jockeys.

lets get some input from those out there on what thy want.

So when the unlimited classes where run what where the guide lines.

Total weight is the only limiting factor?

Or do you fallow the eng size for classes already there?

What will the sanctioning bodies allow with there insurance. This is the controller of what happens. Dose the insurance state that it needs to be a class on the books?

You want to see some Tiger kings with glow plugs in them run? this is the ticket!!!!

I'll buy one tomorrow and start testing if I have some where to race it.

Got the carb and adapter already made. slap a glow bee in the toroidal head already out there and let her rip.

Danny is correct. I have no problem with racing against monos, but some racers do. We could make it a totally open hull race if that is what a majority wants.

My current thoughts about nitro mono, is the low turn out at races vs. the number of hydros. Seems like not many are interested in racing them.

How many potential Hyrdo racers would not attend if monos were allowed to compete?

Thoughts?
My thoughts are if a race like this were to happen classes should be; single engine nitro hydro , muti engine nitro hydro , and an unlimited nitro class for any hull or eng size... as far as location Huntsville is a pretty central location, but it would need to be in spring or fall due to the heat of summer there which is also difficult because most of the major races are jammed in the spring and then again in the fall....

This is a very interesting thread. And I like all that has been said. But there is a lot of talk and would the people come or is it all talk. I can discuss with my fellow club members it they would like to do this.
Huntsville would be a great location to help draw a good attendance. Build it and they will come!
Well it seems Huntsville is a lot better location than Florida for the Northern and Midwest guys just my opinion, and as Mark stated the Huntsville club might even be willing to host this race if they could get a good turnout.......
default_cool.png

We at Huntsville this year offered to do what was advertised to be a "BIG GAS" event and rescheduled our spring race to accommodate and not enough entries occurred to hold the gas event,advertised that 300+ boats would show! and not enough boats showed for the rescheduled race. Not speaking for the Club, I think it would take ROCK solid commitments to under take an event such has been proposed at Huntsville. I would personally would like such an event and would attend. Maybe those who are pushing the event put it on. Andy is correct about the quality of the site and the accommodations. There is none better.

Mr Turner, with having the Huntsville club In a great location being central and with that being said having more than just the host club officiate would be key. Two, three heck maybe having four clubs help would be ideal.

IMPBA Multi-Engine Class has a minimum combined displacement of .610 cuin / 10.0cc. Both engines must drive the prop(s).

Back