big block nitro racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Tampa is a good location for everybody
Tampa -200 mile drive for me, 75 miles for David. 1000 mile drive for Stu Barr and Texans. 1500 miles for some great racers in Michigan and New York.
how bout California? 2000 miles
default_smile.png
Was thinking the Shasta reservoir area, North Cali. Really nice there with lots of water acreage.
yeah, bring your RC Trucks to run on dry lake/reservoir floor. Another consecutive year of drought and I'm not sure we'll have any lakes to run here in California
default_sad.png

And, yes, Shasta is an absolutely beautiful reservoir area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to list some Ideas. Please speak up Yea or nae.

We need a minimum of 30 boats in each class. 30 Singles, 30 Twins. This race won't be worth doing with less than 60 boats.

4 boats per heat

5 rounds of qualifying

Top 8 boats go on to Semi finals. 3 rounds of 4 boat heats.

Top 4 boats go on to finals. 3 rounds.

Awards for top 3 places in Single class and top 3 in Twin class.

Top two Singles and Top two Twins move on to the Grand Finale (David's idea).

These 4 boats race three more rounds.

WINNER gets the GRAND PRIZE. (The Rolex is getting attention)
default_smile.png

Entry fee $100 per boat. No raffles. All sponsor donations go directly to the contestants by way of prizes.
30 single hydros would be easy but 30 Twins ?? That I would like to see. Also I still have 2 Roadrunner 101RS Twins and I do have a 67 UFO that can be ready if I'm not too involved racing and working on my dragster ;-)

Chuck is a good racer wants to race more boats but if he does not show it's ok.

Will G. He's too busy chasing after men in TX so we know he won't show.

Julian

I like your idea but you are leaving out a LARGE group of model boaters. You should add an Open Gas Class! LSG 27 to LSG 36 all inclusive. No need to mix them with the nitro boats they would fill the class easily.

I do think D5 would get behind this event and I know the boaters around Huntsville are working to get more events here. I do have worries that a great deal of talk is not followed up with action, but it is like that in most things. 5% do the work and the 95% complain about what was done! I figure open water day then 2 days of racing is what we are looking at here, if we are talking about May time frame that is a pretty good chance for nice weather also. I will put in my support for this and will help make this happen in any way I can.

Paul

I like your idea but you are leaving out a LARGE group of model boaters. You should add an Open Gas Class! LSG 27 to LSG 36 all inclusive. No need to mix them with the nitro boats they would fill the class easily.
We have many races for the LARGE group of model boaters. This weeks Fall nats is Sold out and the Gas nats on this same weekend has a very large turnout, the Orlando Winter nats Sold out in two days and many boaters could not even get in.

We are looking for a Special Nitro only race where we can get lots of racing time in a couple of days. If a boater only has two boats at those LARGE races he will spend most of his time sitting and only race a couple of times each day. Great if one wants to spectate and socialize, but for lots of racing fun, not so good.

I do think D5 would get behind this event and I know the boaters around Huntsville are working to get more events here. I do have worries that a great deal of talk is not followed up with action, but it is like that in most things. 5% do the work and the 95% complain about what was done! I figure open water day then 2 days of racing is what we are looking at here, if we are talking about May time frame that is a pretty good chance for nice weather also. I will put in my support for this and will help make this happen in any way I can.

Paul
Thank you for your positive support Paul.

Andy what about getting with Stan Simpson and there club in Jacksonville there lake is just inside Geo. border line

Andy what about getting with Stan Simpson and there club in Jacksonville there lake is just inside Geo. border line
Robert,

I think a race like this would work in Fla. if it was scheduled in Jan or Feb, but only AFTER the race format has been established and proven a success. I think the location that is more central to East and Midwest USA is a better plan for success for a new race format like this.

We are starting a nitro boaters email list so that we can keep everyone interested up to date on progress for nitro only races . If you would like to be included in that list and informed of progress, please send an email to [email protected] with the SUBJECT having the single word List in it. Also please put your name in the message. This will allow us to really keep this organized. I will put everyone on the list and keep it as an Excel file. If anyone that is organizing an event wants the list, I will be happy to email it to them in Excel format. I have an automatic email sorting system, so your email will automatically go onto the list if you do the above. Remember to put your name in the message body too. If you would like to add a bunch of people to the list, let me know and I will send you the Excel file to add to.

I think it is time for the Nitro Boaters to get active and the suggestions for this type race really fires me up. I can't wait to attend such an event.

What I find interesting here..is Andy likes hydros so we do a hydro ONLY race and call it "Big Block."

You want the numbers ....ADD MONO...!!
default_wink.png

What I find interesting is that there have been some posts about the drive from the west coast as well as a western site alternative and these were basically ignored. It seems to me, after seeing the lack of a response about the distance from the west coast or a California location, that this is going to be for only those in the eastern US or for those that are retired. I can't take off from work for two weeks to drive to the Gulf coast, race a scale boat that has no chance of winning against the riggers that appear to predominate the competition, then drive home. If it can't be in a more CENTRAL location, you can probably count out a majority of the west coast boaters that might have attended had YOUR event been closer. Count me out as I can't take the time to drive or afford to buy a round trip ticket for a 5+ hour flight each way

Been following your post on and off and I think your idea for this event is awesome! Any event that promotes nitro racing is a good thing, your original premise for the race is very intriguing, all out horsepower and speed, that would be an incredible event. As for the mixing of mono's and scale hydro's, really that's not a very good idea and I think when people step back and think about they would realize that too. Terrible things happen when you toss slow boats out with the beasts and would a recipe for trouble, if my two cents is worth anything, keep it pure and specific. From my part of the world it's a long trip to either California or Florida and this event has me really curious? Keep going guys, good on you for such a great idea!!!!!

We need a minimum of 30 boats in each class. 30 Singles, 30 Twins. This race won't be worth doing with less than 60 boats.

4 boats per heat

5 rounds of qualifying

default_smile.png

Entry fee $100 per boat. No raffles. All sponsor donations go directly to the contestants by way of prizes.
Well I`am interested in when this event will take place?? Nitro Only Events interest me. If the Time does not allow for other classes?? We came to Race Big Block Hydros.......Fire your engines,come to a legal start & let the racing begin..........

4 boats per heat

5 rounds of qualifying

default_smile.png

Well I`am interested in when this event will take place?? Nitro Only Events interest me. If the Time does not allow for other classes?? We came to Race Big Block Hydros.......Fire your engines,come to a legal start & let the racing begin..........
I hoping everyone will come together and agree on a MAY 2015 date in Huntsville.

Bummer on the Shasta thing David. It was your idea first,,where then in these golden brown states?
Just an example of active locations in the far west:

Legg Lake, South El Monte (Southern California- District 19); Lake Minden, Nicolaus (Northern California- District 9); Sunset Park , Las Vegas Nevada (District 19); San Diego Model Yacht Pond, San Diego (Southern California, District 19); Archer Lake, Tucson Arizona (District 19); Kiwanis Park, Tempe Arizona (District 19), etc.,...

To be honest I'm not sure if they even run rc boats in the Shasta recreational area in general?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back