Best set-up for best cornering speed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say this , I have seen some SG and SGX CMDI hydros with flexible fins ans booms RAIL corners at amazing speeds . I beleive there are exceptions to every rule depending on setup . I am the laziest guy in the world on setup and have nothing else to add except I would like mine to corner faster ( WORK ! )

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob and Norris are from the Cincinnati area and Norris built the boss boats.If i remember Morris said at one time that he built Jack a 60 boat.Morris is on the forum maybe he can give his side of the story.

Dave Roach

lol im a J.A.F.O here but i read these facts and think,, has anybody seen an SG run??

i was impressed by that "funny looking skinny boat" 20+ years ago when i saw that single lap ,,,,,well EVERYTHING at the atlanta spring nats. the thing was it wasnt even the designer that blew my mind it was a 3rd party- the late Joe Engrayo (sp) .was totally confused as to why run anything else after seeing that. now i must ad that at the 100(or close to- that K90 was a BEAST) it ran,still running out of track and engine winding mind you,it would NEVER turn,however it ,and Andys boat would turn on rails at a good 80+. i kept thinking why would you buy anything else when THAT is out there?? immediately found the owner and introduced myself and found out how to get one. so i got 2 ,a .20 and a .90. as soon as i got them i rough fit the parts to get a "look" and noticed that those fancy booms flexed like crazy, i was on the phone in short time discussing this with John and he said dont replace those booms (as was my idea at the time) thats how it works,its the same boat you saw run. well ok. after building it i notice the turn fin seemed a little too ,,"flexy" instead of wasting the phone call i figure-ok thats how it sposed to be. well, i will tell you,i soon after threw away the other boats i had that where second hand and weathered, ive wrecked that first .90 from just going too fast too much,i still have them front sponsons that have damage but i l keep em for reference ,ive bought another .90 back in '04 and an .80, the .20 didnt get run much because i have to run in open ocean and wait for a calm day so thats still in good condition,flexy booms n fin n all. ive bought another popular boat (no names) and i ran it 3 times and sold it for a song ,if somebody gave me another one id prob stand on it just to make sure nobody runs it near me. IF had to buy another boat i would buy an SG

im just sayin,i dont eat cat but OBVIOUSLY theres more than one way to skin one

we shouldnt argue one idea OVER another but simply compare notes. sometimes its the total package not the one off fin or rudder or prop etc that makes a boat work.

also might i add some of the newest boats now like the JAE and others have really thin carbon tubes and they are REALLY long so i can only imagine how much they flex.

p.s a friend of mine was into go carts for a while and he found that the "flexy chassis" cornered best/fastest soooo theres something there .

but its like traveling -some like the interstate some like the scenic route highways. just preference

jm2¢
Look familiar??IMG_0183.JPG

Bob and Norris are from the Cincinnati area and Norris built the boss boats.If i remember Morris said at one time that he built Jack a 60 boat.Morris is on the forum maybe he can give his side of the story.

Dave Roach
Ask Dave or anybody there how my 21/45/67 JAE's handled like at Fall Nats.(Speed /Handling) They are very wide and flex...my 67 is the worst of them all. Under racing conditions,they are tough to beat. It all comes down to setup and personal preference. Could it be better...of course. There is always room for improvement. Even the Boss can be beat...it is called progress. JMO

I am looking forward to the U.S.1 Nats in Alabama,there will be people from all over the world with some VERY FAST turning/straight line boats of every kind.

P.S. Tell Norris the Simpson's said Hi.

Dave Roach
Dave, I do not doubt that Norris built a boat called the Boss but Norris did not build Jack O'Donnells Boss 60 Boat. That is a FACT my friend......

Memory is a fickle thing, you should know that as well as anyone.

I must disappoint some of you guys, but I must go, I am leaving this topic with you. Try to behave without me.......and NO PROPANE LANGUAGE.

Bye

Joe, the ONLY people that have ever run the BOSS hydro is myself, Sid Ford, Steve and Jack O'Donnell.

It is said that the memory is the second thing that goes, after a certain age, the first thing that goes does not matter.
default_smile.png

You have a nice day.

Charles
Charles you have become arguementive in your older age. The Point is..... da Boss.. Yours or Mr. Norris Boat was just one boat design. You got to get onto the Water & Race in all Conditions Weather & Water condition to see what works & whats needed. Ideal conditions only exist on paper. Sometimes they do not actually work on the Real Application. You were before your time with the Odonnells Race Boat.. Point made.... & You ask to contuined praise for that feat......... but there has been Millions of changes to all things related to the Current R/C Hydro design & it is Not fair to Discredit the Builders & tuners that have help Build the Current Designs that we all Race today. Turn fins to assist the boat to Turn well & I have never seen 2 alike. But it takes the entire Boat w/engine to cross the finish line & Win races. p.s. When was the last time you Raced a event? I have raced for 18 years & have never seen your name on a entry in Dist 5 or any other Dist list in 18 years in Any class....... P.S. Think about it..... You are Asking for all to Give you Credit. But you are not willing to Give any??????? Hmmmmmm

Joe, the ONLY people that have ever run the BOSS hydro is myself, Sid Ford, Steve and Jack O'Donnell.

It is said that the memory is the second thing that goes, after a certain age, the first thing that goes does not matter.
default_smile.png

You have a nice day.

Charles
Charles you have become arguementive in your older age. The Point is..... da Boss.. Yours or Mr. Norris Boat was just one boat design. You got to get onto the Water & Race in all Conditions Weather & Water condition to see what works & whats needed. Ideal conditions only exist on paper. Sometimes they do not actually work on the Real Application. You were before your time with the Odonnells Race Boat.. Point made.... & You ask to contuined praise for that feat......... but there has been Millions of changes to all things related to the Current R/C Hydro design & it is Not fair to Discredit the Builders & tuners that have help Build the Current Designs that we all Race today. Turn fins to assist the boat to Turn well & I have never seen 2 alike. But it takes the entire Boat w/engine to cross the finish line & Win races. p.s. When was the last time you Raced a event? I have raced for 18 years & have never seen your name on a entry in Dist 5 or any other Dist list in 18 years in Any class....... P.S. Think about it..... You are Asking for all to Give you Credit. But you are not willing to Give any??????? Hmmmmmm
Because Joe on the internat the waters always perfect and the boats are the fastest. Why actually participate and be proven wrong.

Hey Danny Did you Win 40 Hydro at the Nitro Nationals?

I wonder if Stu would like to share some about his Crap shooter turn fin.

Had a chance to look one of his boats over and fondle the fin is very interesting in design.

This conversation is very similar to others I've seen both here and in other forums:

1) Charles says this works because it did when he raced the boat it worked well on

2) Joe says things have changed so what once worked doesn't work now

So, both have an opinion and, in this case, both may be correct. Then again, others have said other things as well that may also be correct. Now comes the question, Are these "opinions" only good for riggers or for all boats? A sport hydro has sponsons so does the fin on Charles boat work on one as well? This is, obviously, a hypothetical question, just for sake of argument. My point being don't discount one opinion to build up another. The only way to find out is, as stated by someone earlier in this thread, through experimentation. Try it, take notes and tweek it. If it gets better, tweek it more in the same way. If it doesn't work, tweek it the other way and try again. Once you get it right, let everyone else know, or not. Just remember, it's only one boat that was tested so what you found to work may not work on anything else.

Now, just shake hands and lets have some fun at the pond

Great Point Mark, One Must Sometimes put down the Magnifying glass to see the Entire Boat. Something that Worked 37 years ago. Might Not Get the Job Done today.

There are many different set ups on boats to say the least.

Look at a RR thy have stiff aluminum boom tubes and rock solid turn fins.

Then you have a Eagle flexing boom tubes and flexing turn fins.

The JAE flexing boom tubes and rigged turn fin.

So here you have every different scenario in three different boats.

Thy have all held records in the last few years.

Some have tried flexing booms on a RR and it did not work out so well. may be thy did not go far enough and try a different fin?

So Roger to answer your question it can be many different things that make a good boat.

You can not just nail it down to one or two things.

Now sharing testing results is a great way for others to under stand what is what with a particular boat.

Will this translate to a different boat????? only testing will tell.

The point is just don't keep doing the same thing as you will only get the same results.

Take a chance and try some thing new.

You will never know if you do not try it.

Stick your head in the sand will only leave your a$$ sticking out to communicate with...................
default_wink.png

lol im a J.A.F.O here but i read these facts and think,, has anybody seen an SG run??

i was impressed by that "funny looking skinny boat" 20+ years ago when i saw that single lap ,,,,,well EVERYTHING at the atlanta spring nats. the thing was it wasnt even the designer that blew my mind it was a 3rd party- the late Joe Engrayo (sp) .was totally confused as to why run anything else after seeing that. now i must ad that at the 100(or close to- that K90 was a BEAST) it ran,still running out of track and engine winding mind you,it would NEVER turn,however it ,and Andys boat would turn on rails at a good 80+. i kept thinking why would you buy anything else when THAT is out there?? immediately found the owner and introduced myself and found out how to get one. so i got 2 ,a .20 and a .90. as soon as i got them i rough fit the parts to get a "look" and noticed that those fancy booms flexed like crazy, i was on the phone in short time discussing this with John and he said dont replace those booms (as was my idea at the time) thats how it works,its the same boat you saw run. well ok. after building it i notice the turn fin seemed a little too ,,"flexy" instead of wasting the phone call i figure-ok thats how it sposed to be. well, i will tell you,i soon after threw away the other boats i had that where second hand and weathered, ive wrecked that first .90 from just going too fast too much,i still have them front sponsons that have damage but i l keep em for reference ,ive bought another .90 back in '04 and an .80, the .20 didnt get run much because i have to run in open ocean and wait for a calm day so thats still in good condition,flexy booms n fin n all. ive bought another popular boat (no names) and i ran it 3 times and sold it for a song ,if somebody gave me another one id prob stand on it just to make sure nobody runs it near me. IF had to buy another boat i would buy an SG

im just sayin,i dont eat cat but OBVIOUSLY theres more than one way to skin one

we shouldnt argue one idea OVER another but simply compare notes. sometimes its the total package not the one off fin or rudder or prop etc that makes a boat work.

also might i add some of the newest boats now like the JAE and others have really thin carbon tubes and they are REALLY long so i can only imagine how much they flex.

p.s a friend of mine was into go carts for a while and he found that the "flexy chassis" cornered best/fastest soooo theres something there .

but its like traveling -some like the interstate some like the scenic route highways. just preference

jm2¢
Look familiar??
Yep. Held the NAMBA record for 59 seconds in 6 lap heat racing. Running a K90.

It holding a fully modded 101 motor now and going back to the record trials. It's in amazing condition for a old boat.

Latest posts

Back