Best set-up for best cornering speed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW HOO...............................

Don't let it swallow a small bird............................LOL

post-14704-0-13308800-1485998885_thumb.jpg

yup

i remember another one too. i got a race tape(dang im old) ,its got the boat doin all sorts a speed. gotta dig out the camera n see if i can get it digitized,hope the resolution isnt too low.

got another spring nats with Steve and Jason Pas boats. the twin is the only thing ive seen faster than Joe's single.

btw i remember Joe was the first to make that cmb 100 piston/liner go over 100mph.

p.s these where the days before the ladies started complaining about noise so that K sounded like a dragster

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, the ONLY people that have ever run the BOSS hydro is myself, Sid Ford, Steve and Jack O'Donnell.

It is said that the memory is the second thing that goes, after a certain age, the first thing that goes does not matter.
default_smile.png

You have a nice day.

Charles
Charles you have become arguementive in your older age. The Point is..... da Boss.. Yours or Mr. Norris Boat was just one boat design. You got to get onto the Water & Race in all Conditions Weather & Water condition to see what works & whats needed. Ideal conditions only exist on paper. Sometimes they do not actually work on the Real Application. You were before your time with the Odonnells Race Boat.. Point made.... & You ask to contuined praise for that feat......... but there has been Millions of changes to all things related to the Current R/C Hydro design & it is Not fair to Discredit the Builders & tuners that have help Build the Current Designs that we all Race today. Turn fins to assist the boat to Turn well & I have never seen 2 alike. But it takes the entire Boat w/engine to cross the finish line & Win races. p.s. When was the last time you Raced a event? I have raced for 18 years & have never seen your name on a entry in Dist 5 or any other Dist list in 18 years in Any class....... P.S. Think about it..... You are Asking for all to Give you Credit. But you are not willing to Give any??????? Hmmmmmm
18 years hay? See always 2 sides to a story! Pity the PM i got didn't have that information in it? some people will try hanging on to the life raft as long as they can! Truth is they may have drowned year's ago!!

When I used to run the nitro boats years ago I would set my needle valve a bit on the rich side to make the boat run faster in the turns. It was an obvious change in speed through the turns as the extra load naturally leans out the engine. Just an engine related effect to consider. Basically setting the needle for the turns and not the SAW. Longer pipe length is another turn speed helper. You might lose some SAW speed but we all know it is the fastest lap that wins, not the fastest SAW speed.

John

It holding a fully modded 101 motor now and going back to the record trials. It's in amazing condition for a old boat.
Cool. The "ONLY" reason we got rid of it because we were cutting down the storage space set aside for the boats and we already have two twins and another 60/80 boat that are all newer so we decided to let the oldest go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe, the ONLY people that have ever run the BOSS hydro is myself, Sid Ford, Steve and Jack O'Donnell.

It is said that the memory is the second thing that goes, after a certain age, the first thing that goes does not matter.
default_smile.png

You have a nice day.

Charles
Charles you have become arguementive in your older age. The Point is..... da Boss.. Yours or Mr. Norris Boat was just one boat design. You got to get onto the Water & Race in all Conditions Weather & Water condition to see what works & whats needed. Ideal conditions only exist on paper. Sometimes they do not actually work on the Real Application. You were before your time with the Odonnells Race Boat.. Point made.... & You ask to contuined praise for that feat......... but there has been Millions of changes to all things related to the Current R/C Hydro design & it is Not fair to Discredit the Builders & tuners that have help Build the Current Designs that we all Race today. Turn fins to assist the boat to Turn well & I have never seen 2 alike. But it takes the entire Boat w/engine to cross the finish line & Win races. p.s. When was the last time you Raced a event? I have raced for 18 years & have never seen your name on a entry in Dist 5 or any other Dist list in 18 years in Any class....... P.S. Think about it..... You are Asking for all to Give you Credit. But you are not willing to Give any??????? Hmmmmmm

Charles.. You don`t surprise me......... just the response i expected....... We are Winning Races without your Goober Carbs............. See you at the Races. Or Maybe Not!!!!!!!!! p.s. I dont see your name? any of your boats? or designs? in any of the current record books. So... spare me the Drama..... Sir.

Charles.. You don`t surprise me......... just the response i expected....... We are Winning Races without your Goober Carbs............. See you at the Races. Or Maybe Not!!!!!!!!! p.s. I dont see your name? any of your boats? or designs? in any of the current record books. So... spare me the Drama..... Sir.
Joe, you are a real card....The Joker.

I heard two old guys talking once. One had been trying to put the other down and the one he was trying to put him down told him something that I will not forget. He said " It is much better to be a HAS BEEN than a NEVER WAS. Can you relate to that????

NOW, I am through

Charles

i m done Don. You can talk to the idiot........ Everyone knows he is a idiot but him.....

I would like everyone's opinion (I know I know) What percent of the area of the turn fin do you run on the CG, and is it fore or aft of the CG?

Don

I am Norris Sparks.

I made a boat called the BOSS back in the late 70-early 80.

I only made a few for people ,most was local boaters.

I flow rat race airplanes, and the airplane was called the boss.

That is why I called my boat the boss.

Norris

That's something the boat has to tell you. If the boat doesn't like where you put it, it will let you know by how it handles

I have built a lot of riggers over the past 47yrs, every one has one thing in common. That is placement of the turn fin! Size, angle,and shape is determined by weight and speed! The gas riggers today are as fast as the nitro riggers of just a few years past,(85+) just 3-5 lbs. heavier. A fin from a 6-7lb. boat just will not work the same on a 12-13lb. boat. Driving style can determine the shape best suited.

i.e. curved, teardrop ect. 60-70 percent forward of the CG works best for me. Maybe some of the manufacturers will give some advice on there setups?

Don

My first hydro was a great turning boat but I did not have a clue why back in 1966. I have an 8mm film that was later transferred to video of me running that boat. It whips the corners, or at least the 8mm film makes it look that way. Since then, like Don, have set up so many hydros over the last 50 years that I can pretty much get the turn fin spot close to where it needs to be the first time. After running the boat it only takes an inch or so in movement forward to back to get the effect I like best. My fastest turning boat is a wide body gas hydro with a Dick Tyndall turnfin with the trailing edge one inch in front of the CG. The cup was changed several times to get the right amount of pull as it is a cupped fin at the bottom. I find the cup is very important and just a little change can make a big difference in how much the right sponson is pulled down causing the rear end to raise up so the prop stays where it needs to be and the right sponson is free to run the corners without leaving the water or gluing to the water. BUT, my electric scale boat loves a slanted turn fin much better than the cupped fin. That fin is one Mark Grim suggested at Hobart in 2010 as my gas rigger was lifting the right sponson all weekend in the turns. I later found the problem was a warped hull center section on the boat was not letting the boat lean into the turn. But, I found the new slanted fin design works well on my scale boat. When I was running record trial ovals I found Marty Davis's suggested location to work best with the CG somewhere around one third into the fin from the trailing edge. But that was going into a turn at 103 mph. I even experimented with fins attached to the tub with extensions to vary distances from the tub to the sponson. Did not work well. Also, where the turn fin rides in relation to the running surface of the sponson has effect. Just things I have played with, not the set in stone answer to the question......what is the fastest way around the corners.

John

John,

I'm with you on the gas rigger being my fastest turning boat also. I have found the same thing on the amount of cup & area need at the bottom. I'm sure of one thing, like John said there is nothing set in stone! When it comes to setup, Test Test Test is the answer!!!

I have one gas rigger that works well, but in a panic turn will blow off. Thought I was hitting debris the few times it happened, as the left sponson would jump up 6-8ins. This past weekend I saw the problem. The left sponson is sinking and then the attract angle forces it back up! As far as I can tell the fin is not letting go or pulling down to hard. Any thoughts on this??

Don

Back