been away for years,what's a good hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck st romain

I have been away for years and thinking of building a tunnel. Looking for opinions on hulls. Heres my wish list:

Loved my old 27" leecraft

Liked the smaller size

Run a stock k&b with a pipe. Easy tune, reliable plug and play

Small salt pond

Calm water

Play racing but need a "race boat"

"Wow" & "cool factor" are important, price not so much

I am an experienced builder,open to a used race boat. Just don't know what's out there these days

Thanks

Depends who 'team' you are on who who wants to suck up...but in all honesty a Vision Craft from Shawn Junker is the best glass boat available IMHO.

There are others in wood which do well, but I still look up to the Vision as my 'boat to beat'

If you're open to used, Lynx. Plenty of them out there, best 20 tunnel made. Throw on a stock O.S., easy 50 mpH plus setup with the right prop. Piped KB would run excellent too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advise, thanks. I've heard nothing but good about lynx back in the day. However had a bad experience with my one and only is outboard … maybe try again.

Where is a good swap shop to look used?

Chuck-e-cheese! Hey bro...get a hold of Shawn Junker (Vision craft boats) on these boards and order a New (lime green) Vision tunnel! Best tunnel I have ever had!!

-Kent

Good advise, thanks. I've heard nothing but good about lynx back in the day. However had a bad experience with my one and only is outboard maybe try again.

Best thing to do is post a wanted ad in the for sale section.I know a few boats came out of the mold warped, as we had one. That caused alot of issues, as well as a few that marketed splashed boats as the lynx that never ran correctly. That gave alot of people nightmares.

Biggest thing on lynxs aside from getting CG right is to make sure the prop placement is correct. Very touchy in those areas.

If you're going to buy new, definitely buy a vision from Shawn Junker or a Dragon from Kris Flynn.

Good advise, thanks. I've heard nothing but good about lynx back in the day. However had a bad experience with my one and only is outboard maybe try again.

Best thing to do is post a wanted ad in the for sale section.I know a few boats came out of the mold warped, as we had one. That caused alot of issues, as well as a few that marketed splashed boats as the lynx that never ran correctly. That gave alot of people nightmares.

Biggest thing on lynxs aside from getting CG right is to make sure the prop placement is correct. Very touchy in those areas.

If you're going to buy new, definitely buy a vision from Shawn Junker or a Dragon from Kris Flynn.
Interesting about that...I have seen a few Lynx's run over the years. they are definately NOT a tinkering mans boat. Once you find the elusive setup, they go like a rocket that is for sure.

I had NEVER seen a Lynx do CONSITANT laps in RACE water untill this year at the Herb race, even back in 07 there were only a couple of good boats (Smart Monkey, Premo and , but they still had that funky 'lynx turning issue'. This year I particularly noticed Culhane's, Otto's and Premo's Lynx boats, plus Brandons with an apparent 'Stock' motor (yeah sure buddy ;-)) running REALLY well and not looking nervous like almost all other Lynx boats i have ever seen run.

hey kris, its been a long time. im gona run with your advise. i loved my vission and you know whats up. thanks. ill be back in and out of here. this was built from your thread in 2011 or so...

2662.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking boat Chuck
default_smile.png

Another good boat is the HTB 290. Not as fast as the Lynx or Vision, but very user friendly and it handle rougher water. I won three national championships, a U.S.-1 and the excellence of performance award. I have video of the boat running with a Go Pro camera on board

thanks. i had one of those also. the lee i really liked was an older wof from the original builder back in the day. small and light (27" i think). i decided im going to build a vision craft. i loved that boat what i need to figure out is if i want to belly up and get a nova rossi on lawless, OS or k&b. im just playing, no rules but i hate to spend $500 on the NR. i had bad experience with the OS and good reliability with the gold head KB..... i used a bunch of rossi also but thats out because of parts availability

Chuck,

The NR is $450 ready to go. $425 if you go with steel rear bearings like the competition instead of the more expensive ceramic. If I can help you let me know. Thanks.

Chuck, FYI you can still get the old LeeCraft boats here if that is what you are interested in. http://www.pacinfo.com/~yayoe/
That link is long obsolete. The Leecraft business was sold a long time ago to Alfred Lanza who is now inactive. I still have the plugs and, as far as I know, RC Boatworks still has the molds. You could contact Rigo to see if he would build a hull.

Lohring Miller

Get a hold of Shawn get a Vision i have his old style 40 boat still runs like a champ his new 20 has a new design and runs like a hydro its that great on the turns

Thanks Lohring, I did not know that. Like Chuck I had a Lee Craft back in the mid 90's and I thought I would get another one some day.

Got a vision on the way.

Any advise on build. Radio box, servos, fuel tank, let's see a couple pictures please. It doesn't look like much has changed but I want a qualot y build.

thanks

Also who sells pipes for k&b or os?

Back