arno birts plans im working on

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, got the new kit today, had to make 3 small changes, and it should be good to go after that! Tossed the other one aside, and built a jig for the new kit. Here are a few pictures. Got the deck, sheeting, all the goodies with this one. Thanks Kevin!!!

IMG_20110601_194559.jpg

IMG_20110601_211624.jpg

IMG_20110601_211610.jpg

IMG_20110601_211556.jpg

IMG_20110601_195255.jpg

IMG_20110601_194625.jpg

IMG_20110601_211638.jpg

OK, couple more things done tonight here. Got the new pieces in from Kevin. Got the rails tacked together with CA, and the bottom fitted and tacked in place. Epoxy is due to be here on friday, so can start final assembly then. Anyhow, here are a couple pictures:

IMG_20110614_210703.jpg

IMG_20110614_210713.jpg

IMG_20110614_210722.jpg

IMG_20110614_210733.jpg

Well, been a while, but got some more done on the boat. Glued in some floation, Got the deck on on side, and will put the other side on tonight, then its ready for rigging, and need to figure out the radio box, etc still. I will get some pictures up after I get the other side of the deck on, and all sanded up. The deck moved on me, so I have a gap next to the sponson inside former, that im not to happy about, but what do yah do? I didnt notice it until it was too late. Ill fill it with a strip of balsa before I epoxy seal the hull.

Are you sure about those huge airtraps? I know the talk has been lately that air traps are a bad thing due to they cause blow overs. I know on my latest boat, I did the same thing, just in a smaller size. Should be interesting to see it on the water ;)

Are you sure about those huge airtraps? I know the talk has been lately that air traps are a bad thing due to they cause blow overs. I know on my latest boat, I did the same thing, just in a smaller size. Should be interesting to see it on the water ;)

Im not to sure about anything on this hull, as I have yet to run it. But, if Mike Hughes says its a good running hull, ill take his word for it. We shall see by the end of the year, im hoping. I want to run it atleast a couple times this year.

Are you sure about those huge airtraps?
Yes I am. The original Arno boat would blow off easy. So Arno had to drop the strut a ton. So much that the boat would hunt around riding on the recovery pads. By extending the air traps back it will create more lift at the transom of the boat. This keeps the lift even over the whole boat. The boat will come out of the water level and not with the nose up. Which will cause a blowover. The sponsons were deepend as well so the recoveries were off the water some more.

This boat designs is what the Leecraft Sp20 was plugged from. I hooked Alfred up with one of the few boats that were built from the plans with my mods.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't argue with that. I'd love to see one run so, Mike, when are you guys coming up to Twin Lakes again? I may have t show up nto see if anyone is running one of those ;)

well, finally got all the decking on the boat. and the first coat of epoxy. Going to just run hardwood blocks for motor mounts. Also still have to make the radio box, and rig with hardware, and install the stuffing box/tube. Coming together, slowly but surely.

IMG_20110806_180259.jpg

IMG_20110806_180311.jpg

IMG_20110806_180321.jpg

IMG_20110806_180339.jpg

some more progress. Got the cowl made up and fitted. Got the strut and rudder on the boat, and the motor mount in. Next is the radio box and stuffing tube. I ended up making the motor mount myself. .080 aluminum for the motor to mount to. The gray material is machine grade PVC. Set at a 6* angle, and held through the bottom of the hull with 2- 1/4-20 nylon pan head fasteners each. Turned out pretty well, and will work just perfect Im thinking.

IMG_20110811_214059.jpg

IMG_20110811_214113.jpg

IMG_20110811_214038.jpg

IMG_20110811_214121.jpg

IMG_20110811_214135.jpg

IMG_20110811_214153.jpg

IMG_20110811_214245.jpg

IMG_20110811_214252.jpg

IMG_20110811_214318.jpg

Rodney, you're a thief. You're using the same engine I am in my reworked Pak. The question now is are you using the same pipe ;)

Rodney

Great job, I got wood looking at that thread! I hope to see this run.Finish it up for the MN champs and bring her up!

Tim

HJ, Thats actually not the motor im running in it. There will be a GO in it. The motor used for mach up is the one out of my PT SS21. It was just laying there on the bench, so it was used to mach up the mounts and location. I will be running an S-pipe in this boat as well. I think the pipe is going to be an outside the cowl pipe, as there is just NO room inside the boat!

Tim, thanks brother. Im hoping to make it to the MN state champs, but we will have to see. Baby is due Sept 16, so who knows. Doubt this one will be there though, as I dont think I will have any or enough test time on it by then.

HJ, Thats actually not the motor im running in it. There will be a GO in it. The motor used for mach up is the one out of my PT SS21. It was just laying there on the bench, so it was used to mach up the mounts and location. I will be running an S-pipe in this boat as well. I think the pipe is going to be an outside the cowl pipe, as there is just NO room inside the boat!
Okay Rodney, I stand corrected ;)

I prefer to set up using the actual engines and parts going into the boat so that I know everything will be right. There is nothing worse than setting up a boat only to discover the strut or the engine block you plan on using is of a different width or height than the one used during the build. I've also built enough boats to know that having all the parts during the build isn't always possible so.........................

Okay Rodney, I stand corrected ;)

I prefer to set up using the actual engines and parts going into the boat so that I know everything will be right. There is nothing worse than setting up a boat only to discover the strut or the engine block you plan on using is of a different width or height than the one used during the build. I've also built enough boats to know that having all the parts during the build isn't always possible so.........................

This particular case, the motors are near identical, so they interchange just perfect with each other. Parts, cases, etc ;)

Unfortunately, I can't say that with my engines. I have two each K&B 67s, OPS 45s, OS 46 and NR 21s. My other engines are one offs that don't match up with anything else so when I use them, I have to set up with them as well :(

Alright guys, tonight I got the redesigned boat that I finished, from Kevin Visconti. Started fitting it together tonight. Going to really love this version. MUCH more room down the center. After talking to Mike Hughes abit more, he gave me some ideas, and his thoughts about leaving the deck open all the way across. Well, I took his advise and made it open. Going to work out alot better, and be able to fit everything in there alot more easily. Anyhow, enough of my gabbing. Here are a few pictures:

IMG_20111109_165901.jpg

IMG_20111109_202751.jpg

IMG_20111109_202743.jpg

Rodney I need to buy that camera; those pics are clearer than my droid x ****!. Thats a beautiful wood kit. Will you be selling them?

Last edited:
They are from my Optimus S. Kinda crappy I know, as there is only a couple fluorescent lights in the basement. I dont plan to sell the kit, atleast to make any profit on. You can PM me if interested in it, and Im sure we can work something out. I still need to make a couple changes then it should be golden. Not sure how the cowl is going to work out, as this is the first version with a cowl, so we will have to see!!

OK, got a little bit more done tonight. Got all the bulkheads sanded and ca'ed in place. Sat the radio box lid in there to get an idea. Still not crap for room, but what do you expect for a sport 20 I guess.

IMG_20111110_205007.jpg

IMG_20111110_205023.jpg

IMG_20111110_205030.jpg

IMG_20111110_205037.jpg

Back