arno birts plans im working on

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. How about some shots of the inside?
I will get you some tonight here. I still have to get a custom tank put in, and a couple things in the radio box. Trim the stuffing tube to length. But other then that, it should be ready to rock.

Hugh, I can get that info for you tonight as well. It will be the loaded weight, but a weight none the less. Its fairly light.

Alright Hugh, just weighed her. Now, i still need to add a receiver, some fuel tubing, and a fuel tank to this weight, but its pretty light for a sport 20 i think. Right now as it sets in those pictures, with motor, pipe, servo's and all hardware installed. Weighs 3.8 pounds. And here are the pictures of the inside of the boat:

IMG_20120314_162728.jpg

IMG_20120314_162738.jpg

Rodney,

You could park a tanker in there...All kinds of room for fuel tanks. Mighty light for all the air you'll be packing under it, Should be really fast if you can keep it on the water. Get her dailed in and bring it to Eagan.Lots of sport 20's up here to race with. :)

I figure initial testing will tell me how much, if any that I need to trim the air traps down. Mike Hughes says I wont need to touch them, and I trust that opinion. But if I feel its packing too much air, might shorten them up a little bit. Who knows, we will see how she goes when we start testing. The changes that were made to the boat by Mr. Hughes, were to make the boat more stable, and so you didnt have to run the strut so shallow to get the front to loosen up. When you ran it that shallow, it would obviously blow over, but when you dropped the strut down to keep it on the water, it would hunt around on the recovery pads. Mike added some depth to the ride pads, and a few other changes. I think it should run just great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod I think you should add another steering rod support back toward the transom. Not trashing just speaking from experience. That is a long rod especially in a "push" to turn right config.

what kind of paint scheme you going with?

looking at it it should haul azz!26.gif

Last edited:
Hugh, she is done. I wont paint it any more then it is. its covered in epoxy (decals and all) so she is done. I like leaving the boats natural.

Rodney,

Where did you get the peter's and may stickers? I'd like to get some for one of my boats at some point.

build one greg iv got sport 40 , scotts going to do one there is a few around but nobody runs them i have more passion sp40 scales gas sport hydro's the sport 20's they did have them i think when world champs were run in sydney , there was some around.

Well, today I got my *no good, amateur built, slow GO powered, sand through'd ugly, never going to be anything per Hugh Hargett* boat in the water.

Anyhow, it shows great promise. Boat is very very light on the water (which I expected since it weighs under 4 pounds rtr, which is pretty lite for a sport 20). It was almost violent when it came on the pipe lifting the entire boat up out of the water.

So, it needs some serious tuning time, but it should run pretty good once I get some more time on it. Most likely going to have to add some lead to the boat, but going to try and tame it down with the strut and turn fin first.

Now Rodney you know I love this boat. Im only giving you motivation to prove me wrong. To be honest you got a nice set of hands . I just think you might not care about detail as much as you should. My point is this; the groundwork has been laid for a beautiful boat. Id like to clear my dumas but after 20 years of building I have yet to be satisfied enough with my seams and overall construction to try a clear only boat. I have a buddy in his 60's that can do it but, Understand though that this man can construct a scale in an evening while drinking a six of blue label and smoking a pack of camels. Im drunk after one, so I know I cant do that. Hugh, SMUGH Im no body but a fellow boater just like you. It was merely an opinion of mine, that after all that GOOD construction why not take an hour or two to find a trick scheme and paint job that has competitors saying "oh sh@T that think looks fast" .Lastly for me the paint is like the last ceremonial thing you do before you bless the boat with water. There is a difference between an ugly boat and a poorly constructed boat. Yours is just "ugly" meaning the finish does not represent well how it will run or the quality of the construction you did. Rodney your construction was **** good, I never said you cant build brother. I just think it would look twice as nice with paint and if you did it; afterwards youd agree.

Nice build Rodney, paint or not im still looking and learning from you. ;)

Dont be fooled by theese folks that make it look easy. DON F. and others like him have close to 30 years consructing scales and hydros thats why im fine being behind them as far as building skills. ML can builds hella scales agreed? Even Mike tells me hes not up to par in his opinion one thing to remember though is that Mike, who may or may not have 30 years building scales, is exposed daily to the process; which cant do anthing but improve his skills. Mike is one of the few younger guys that ive seen that build with little or no sand thru. Most of us do it. some just pay a little more attention and not try to rush. I get anxious too thats why I stepped back from all the radical stuff with the dumas and decided to start looking at the details of the boat. I could do the full canopy but the merlin motor is just a finishing touch, I feel I cant leave out, if I ever want to get to concours status on my hydros.With paint the more you do it the better you get. I was going to make a mess of my dumas to try to prove a stupid point. To me that wasnt fair to the many folks that watched the build. I know some are there to see me fail but there are others that just wanna see a good scale built so I brought it back to the details for them.The forum is really to enhance the pleasure and experience of rc boating.

HUGH

That go motor is another issue. Id run picco or ops if it were me.

Last edited:
Back