Are 2.4ghz radios legal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

Someone pointed out to me that the IMPBA rule book has defined by the FCC that only particular frequencies are legal look here: http://impba.net/upload/Sec-O.pdf section 95.207

So if someone has an accident while running a 2.4ghz radio will our insurance cover us?

Not trying to start a fight.....

Someone pointed out to me that the IMPBA rule book has defined by the FCC that only particular frequencies are legal look here: http://impba.net/upload/Sec-O.pdf section 95.207
So if someone has an accident while running a 2.4ghz radio will our insurance cover us?

hi tom,(no caps),lol, did you talk to keven s. impba? now you got me woundering, i am about to convert all of my boats to 2.4. i will see

if i can find out some more info,mike.

Tom, great question, lets find out. On another note about 2.4 radios, I know 2.4 work well on cars and planes, but boats? Just a FYI Spektrum does not reccomend their 2.4 for watercraft, tey told me directly to try the Futaba systems and that maybe in the far future they would have something that worked on boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

hi tom, just spoke to keven s. he said this post was old? i told him it is from today. he said that everything is ok with 2.4 and that

about 80% of guys use them and yes you are covered,mike.

Tom, great question, lets find out. On another note about 2.4 radios, I know 2.4 work well on cars and planes, but boats? Just a FYI Spektrum does not reccomend their 2.4 for watercraft, tey told me directly to try the Futaba systems and that maybe in the far future they would have something that worked on boats.
hi roy, just order a bunch of 2.4 stuff. 99% of the guys i spoke to said you must use futaba's dual wire ant recv's. mike.

hi roy, just order a bunch of 2.4 stuff. 99% of the guys i spoke to said you must use futaba's dual wire ant recv's. mike.
Yes, the FS recievers. I installed these in my boats last week and I cant get a servo to twitch/buzz for the life of me. I absolutely love my 3CVS system!

Larry Jr.

My Futaba rep in Australia told me a similar story but also said that their systems were not recommended for water craft , he said it has something to do with the signal the water gives out is similar to 2.4 ghz , apparently the issue surfaces when turning at high speeds.. The issue with spektrum is that they only run off 2 freq , the Futaba is continually hopping between frequencies , the Futaba system may be useable but i wouldn't be in a hurry to try..it seems a little interesting as Aquacraft have bought out the UL1 with 2.4 ghz radio.....

Paul,

There's plenty of guys in Oz racing with the FASST system - including using them in twins and also spark ignition classes. It's been a lot better received (pardon the pun) than the Spektrum system.

Tim.

Yes, the FS recievers. I installed these in my boats last week and I cant get a servo to twitch/buzz for the life of me. I absolutely love my 3CVS system!

Larry Jr.
hi larry, i had hered some one say something with this set up being only compadable with digital servos? why did you chose the 3cvs for, what are the perks?

i am going to talk to fytaba tomorrow and find out the story from the horses mouth.spoke to remy jr from areomarine and he told me a ton of guys were running the same system i bought from him. thanks,mike.

Yes,

2.4Ghz is now approved by F.C.C ( CFR 47, Part 15 ) for R/C use.

Paul don't hold back There is no issue using the FASST system in boats, and I think the number of user's of that system would agree.

Dan.

Michael,

regarding the 3CVS,

only use Digital servo if using the R203HF receiver.

but if you use the 2,4Ghz module with a 603 FF or FS receiver you can use either or.

Dan.

Michael,
regarding the 3CVS,

but if you use the 2,4Ghz module with a 603 FF or FS receiver you can use either or.

Dan.
hi dan, thank you for in fo, i just looked on futaba web sight and they showed only digital servos for ff and fs. just wanted to make sure no major problems, besides a big waste of money. have used spektum for years in cars with great sucsess. thanks again too all,good luck this season,mike.

Michael,
regarding the 3CVS,

Dan.
hi dan, i am using the gr-fs,next model down from 3cvs, really could not afford that radio. used to use 4 ch stick radios and take the 4 ch por out and mount knob with resitor on top of trans for 3rd ch.yahanks again,mike.

Futaba FASST radios have two transmission modes. PPM and HRS. In PPM mode you can use either/or digital/analog servos. In HRS mode you MUST use all digital servos.

The FASST radios have proven to be very robust in boats. I use both the single antenna 603FF and the dual antenna (1 external, 1 internal) 603FS and 604FS receivers and I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Here is a chart of the transmitter modules and receivers that work together.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/index.html

I make sure that all my models are on the PPM mode (which I do manually have to change cause defult mode is HRS), then it works perfect with any type of servo. I went with the 3CVS because of the third channel knob, which in my opinion is perfect, cause its a digital knob, not an analog knob that needs to be changed from model to model. Plus its located exactly where it should be, above the left stick. The computer stores all the information. Im amazed at its performance. For anyone who says its a waste of money, I completely disagree. Its just expensive, thats all. :)

Larry Jr.

With the dual antenna FS receiver do you still need to route the external receiver antenna out of the radio box? Maybe a dumb question?? But I am curios.

Josh-

With the dual antenna FS receiver do you still need to route the external receiver antenna out of the radio box? Maybe a dumb question?? But I am curious.
Josh-
Definitely.

Now there will be those who say they are leaving the antennas in the radio box but when I shared that with the Futaba techs they kinda freaked out and said it is very important to get the last inch above any metal obstructions (like tuned pipes). Not to mention that Futaba has released a 400mm/15.75" antenna part option for the 603 and 604 RX's and it is listed as "boat only". Keep in mind the last inch of the 2.4 lead is the actual antenna but this new part makes retrofitting into a previously 27 or 75mhz equipped boat a snap. The longer length also allows you to get that last inch further up and away from tuned pipes or carbon fiber obstructions (cowls, radio box lids) which is an absolute must with 2.4. I just changed out all the antennas on my 603FS RX's to the longer one and I have 7" antenna lead length above deck on all my boats now. I have been really happy with the Futaba FASST system and am glad I made the switch over to it, sure is nice not having to hunt down the frequency clip at a big race. B)

Hi All,

This exact question was raised to me recently. I myself had a futaba 2.4ghz 3pm radio for about 1 week and returned it because of some wording that stated the radios range was like 200ft or something like that (I have been proved wrong on that, but i was going on the directions). We also need to understand this is a forum and the actual rules should be in the rule book for all to see, not a hear say "Ohhh he said this or she said that". As of last season in D4 I would say there is no less than 10% and no more than 20% of the racers are using the 2.4ghz radio (we are the second largest District). I actually was planning on calling futaba and getting the info required to make a proposal for these radio's. Yes there is a Frequency Chart in the (March 2008 rule book Page M-2 Information and Forms) and there is nothing worded that says the system is accepted. Yes the rule book also states (March 2008 page F-4 General Rules of Competition) :

B. Radio Compliance

1. All radio equipment shall be in accordance with rules and regulations of the

communications governing body; i.e. United States shall comply with existing FCC

(Federal Communications Commission) regulations.

2. Frequency flags as approved by IMPBA are mandatory at all times to be displayed

on the transmitters.

The information I was planning on getting from Futaba would be that there radio is compliant with the FCC regulations? I also checked futaba website to see if there radios manuals stated anything to this affect, I didn't see anything that was a for sure, I did find this on page 1 I assume(page wasn't numbered) of the futaba 2.4ghz 3pm radio :

Compliance Information Statement (for U.S.A.)

This device, trade name Futaba Corporation of America, model number R603FF, complies with part

15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

(1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and

(2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired

operation.

I myself am not sure this is the FCC requirements IMPBA needs. I also found this very interesting reading thru the manual (2.4ghz 3pm page 6 instructions) :

Warning

Prohibited Procedures

Special attention should be paid before turning on the system while other cars are running

or other airplanes are flying because the 2.4GHz RC system could potentially affect

them.

Now that is something that needs to be addressed. Some how I was under the impression that there was No worries with these radios and there is like 1 in a million or so chance of interference.

Like I said i will call and speak with futaba today and hopefully get some documentation emailed to me, and that will be forwarded to the appropriate parties.

*note I did only check the 2.4ghz 3pm radio I figured that I am looking for FCC requirements (this shouldn't be based on the cost of the radio or model). I am also assuming the Spectrum radios are following the same guide lines as the futaba.

All in all I think these points that are mentioned need to be addressed, I am not saying I cant be wrong but this is what I found so far. Please Please prove these points wrong, there is alot of money invested in these radios and really nothing says they are ok to use or a procedure on how they should be treated at the races.

Thank You,

Paul

Hi Paul, did you miss this in post #5-

"hi Tom, just spoke to Keven S. he said this post was old? I told him it is from today. He said that everything is ok with 2.4 and that about 80% of guys use them and yes you are covered".

The reason Kevin said this was "old" is that we've been down this road previously, the 2.4 is FCC approved for r/c use which goes along with-

B. Radio Compliance

1. All radio equipment shall be in accordance with rules and regulations of the

communications governing body; i.e. United States shall comply with existing FCC

(Federal Communications Commission) regulations.

2.4 is ok to use in IMPBA and yes you are covered. The IMPBA rulebook that is on line is missing some updates that are being worked on currently, it's all good. :)

Back