arcadian

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAMBA860

does anyone remember an orange boat called the arcadian that ran in the late 80's that had like i think 6 200 h.p. merc outboard powerheads tied together. i remember as a kid in high school i ditched school and went to the unlimited races here at lake mead with bruce gaines and this boat was there. does anyone have any info or pics on this boat? i think it would be nice to build this as an 1/8 scale since nobody has it.

Here is another picture of the boat on the water.

Also, I had saved this information from a question and answer session with Fred Farley on the old Hydro-Prop website.

Question:

How about a retrospective on the ARCADIAN, which showed up a few times in the late 1980s? - Joe Rood

Answer:

The ARCADIAN (U-86) was an interesting "what's-it" from 1986-87. It was owned and driven by the late Jim Hauenstein of Lakewood, California, who had a background in tunnel outboard racing.

Designed and built by Marcel Belleville, the U-86 featured an unusual hull shape with one short sponson and one long one. It was powered by eight Mercury V-6 outboard powerheads, mounted inboard, rated at approximately 300 horsepower each, connected to one propeller shaft. The thing must have been an engineering nightmare.

The orange-painted craft was reportedly clocked at over 150 miles per hour on the straightaway in testing. But none of that was apparent in any of its appearances on the Unlimited rircuit. It showed up at a total of six races but never started in a heat of competition.

The ARCADIAN posted the following speeds during its qualification attempts:

1986 - San Diego, CA - 91.158

1986 - Las Vegas, NV - 74.056

1987 - Miami, FL - 72.061

1987 - Evansville, IN - 94.032

1987 - San Diego, CA - 110.254

1987 - Las Vegas, NV - 96.722

The boat was in development for several years following its last appearance. But it must have failed inasmuch as the U-86 never attended another race.

Fred Farley - APBA/HYDRO-PROP Unlimited Historian

86_ARCADIAN_on_Water.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I had saved this information from a question and answer session with Fred Farley on the old Hydro-Prop website.

Question:

How about a retrospective on the ARCADIAN, which showed up a few times in the late 1980s? - Joe Rood

Answer:

The ARCADIAN (U-86) was an interesting "what's-it" from 1986-87. It was owned and driven by the late Jim Hauenstein of Lakewood, California, who had a background in tunnel outboard racing.

Designed and built by Marcel Belleville, the U-86 featured an unusual hull shape with one short sponson and one long one. It was powered by eight Mercury V-6 outboard powerheads, mounted inboard, rated at approximately 300 horsepower each, connected to one propeller shaft. The thing must have been an engineering nightmare.

The orange-painted craft was reportedly clocked at over 150 miles per hour on the straightaway in testing. But none of that was apparent in any of its appearances on the Unlimited rircuit. It showed up at a total of six races but never started in a heat of competition.

The boat was in development for several years following its last appearance. But it must have failed inasmuch as the U-86 never attended another race.

saw it in Evansville what a turd the Texmo Moth was a far better ride I guess they spent all there money on prop shafts the orange paint was plain like THE BOAT

Question:

Answer:

saw it in Evansville what a turd the Texmo Moth was a far better ride I guess they spent all there money on prop shafts the orange paint was plain like THE BOAT
Texmo Moth, interesting name, got a pic!! B)

Yes the Arcadian was a one time hull. The Texmo did Qualify in Huston Texas not sure on the date will look it up. The hull started it's life as the Don Arnow Special. It had twin Ford Cosworth turbo engines in it.

The Master Hull Rooster has the following listings:

Hull 7919: 1979 U-19 Arronow/Halter Special

1980-1982 U-19 Arronow Unlimited

1983 U-19 USA Racing

there is not any measurements for this hull listed.

Hull 8409: 1984 U-9 Texmo was a 28 foot hull

Hull 8686 : 1986 Arcadian was a 30 foot hull

The last 2 only show the one name for the hull number.

The Master Hull Rooster has the following listings:
Hull 7919: 1979 U-19 Arronow/Halter Special

1980-1982 U-19 Arronow Unlimited

1983 U-19 USA Racing

there is not any measurements for this hull listed.

Hull 8409: 1984 U-9 Texmo was a 28 foot hull

Hull 8686 : 1986 Arcadian was a 30 foot hull

The last 2 only show the one name for the hull number.
does roger newton have plans for this boat?

The Arronow had outdrives, similar to an inboard/outboard pleasure boat.

The Texmo had outboards.

The Arcadian had powerheads going through gearboxes.

All were interesting, but unsuccesful attempts at transforming the sport.

Just the point how successful would they be running in 8th scale competition. My guess is all 3 would be tough make competitive with todays modern scales.

The Arronow had outdirves, similar to an inboard/outboard pleasure boat. The Texmo had outboards.

The Arcadian had powerheads going t6hrough gearboxes.

All were interesting, but unsuccesful attempts at transforming the sport.

Would be interresting because the Pay N' Pak rigger is sure a differant hydro in scale than the real one. Still would like to see the bottom of the Arcadian. Pictures PLEASE

Would be interresting because the Pay N' Pak rigger is sure a differant hydro in scale than the real one. Still would like to see the bottom of the Arcadian. Pictures PLEASE
Roger Newton might have a good picture of it. I seen a picture of it in the background of the 87' Eliminator in San Diego. The inside running surface was like a regular hydroplane and the outside was like a tunnel running the full length of the boat.

I'm thinking of drawing the Arcadia up for FE 8thScale, however the hull design would need to be symetrically reversed for clockwise running. I would be an excellent hull for CG battery placement. The large canard and aft surface aero ramp up should keep her glued down in the straights. I'm assumming it ran a turn fin on the inside sponson side, anyone? I would be nice to have a bottom pic also.

Back